Advertisement

Uncanny X-Force 19.1 [spoilers]

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 145 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Uncanny X-Force 19.1 [spoilers]

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:30 pm

My overall reading experience with this book from the beginning has been: interesting at first, awful Magneto issue almost kills my interest entirely, okay that was interesting again, really enjoyed Dark Angel Saga, unsold but optimistic about upcoming Otherworld arc, issue 19.1.

This point one issue takes the story back to the Age of Apocalypse world that Jean Grey and Sabretooth have just returned to after a brief visit to the 616. It's clearly designed to set up the David Lapham AoA series, introducing a few new human characters (to me) and focusing on their last stand against Weapon X and his mutant army and their desperate final attempt to neutralize them before being wiped out. The almost unthinkable plan is: They have clone a number of experimental mindless clones of The Scarlet Witch and upon Jean's return use her to try and re-enact the "No more mutants" scene from House of M.

Yeah, that went well. :D

Magneto was real happy about that too, but he doesn't have too much time to worry about it. Because he and Rogue are killed shortly afterwards. Part of the focus is on human William Stryker, or Prophet, and Miss Trask, daughter of Bolivar Trask, it seems likely they'll make the transition to the Lapham book with the surviving mutant cast, half of whom shown on the title/recap page are dead by the end of this issue.

This wasn't the strongest issue of UXF and it didn't quite make me sure to buy the new Lapham series, but I'll at least give it a look. I would rather they had gone right ahead with the Otherworld arc teased in issue 19 and included a preview of the Lapham AoA series.

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 172 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Re: Uncanny X-Force 19.1 [spoilers]

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:04 am

I'm completely sold on Lapham's AoA. At least on the setup.

Love the cast.

And there's no more AoA X-Men left, are there? Jean and Sabretooth were turned into humans by the Wanda clone.. everyone else was killed. Nightcrawler is in the 616 with X-Force.

Should be an interesting dynamic seeing a newly-human Jean and Creed work with Stryker, Trask, and the other Creed against Wolverlypse.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 733 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:34 am

Yep there aren't any more X-Men in the Age of Apocalypse

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:05 am

Holland Oats wrote:I'm completely sold on Lapham's AoA. At least on the setup.

Love the cast.

And there's no more AoA X-Men left, are there? Jean and Sabretooth were turned into humans by the Wanda clone.. everyone else was killed. Nightcrawler is in the 616 with X-Force.

Should be an interesting dynamic seeing a newly-human Jean and Creed work with Stryker, Trask, and the other Creed against Wolverlypse.

I definitely wasn't expecting that to happen. Good thing 616-Logan gave Creed that shiny new sword! Although I question how long they could truly survive at this point! Talk about a fucked up situation.

It kind of makes me feel like 616-Wolverine is a real dick for not gathering everyone and returning to the AoA universe "because that's what heroes do" to repay Jean and Creed for the sacrifices they made.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:16 am

I know it’s meant to be a dystopia, but man, the Age Of Apocalypse really is depressing. Now not only does Apoca-Wolverine rule the world with an evil fist, but all of the X-Men have lost their mutant powers as well! And that’s only if they’re not dead. Bleak shit I’m sure you’ll agree. This was a strong issue, and one that did a great job of whetting the appetite for Dave Lapham’s new series. The short story in Point One had piqued my interest slightly, but now I’m set on trying at least #1, because sometimes, you want a little depressing dystopia in your life. I particularly liked how Remender used the concept of ‘No More Mutants’ in this world, it makes sense that the alternate reality would learn as much from the ‘real’ Marvel Universe as X-Force did. Billy Tan’s art was good, but what happened to the style he was using in earlier issues of X-Force? That was the best his art has been I think, or was that just in the colouring?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:52 pm

Dean White is missed.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:56 pm

Rebis wrote:Dean White is missed.

He's not dead is he?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Punchy wrote:
He's not dead is he?

Not that I know of. Did it sound that dramatic?

I mean the latest book was brighter and sort of oddly colored, like an old Legion of Superheroes comic from a certain time ago. It reminded me of.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Dean White and Paul Mounts, definitely my two favorite Marvel colorists--maybe even including DC's colorists, I have thought they need to get better ones.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:04 pm

Rebis wrote:
Not that I know of. Did it sound that dramatic?

I mean the latest book was brighter and sort of oddly colored, like an old Legion of Superheroes comic from a certain time ago. It reminded me of.

It did.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:07 pm

Punchy wrote:
It did.

I was trying to be brief, but also not insult Jose V. who just has a different style here using almost no darker tones.

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks to this issue, I'm definitely not buying Age of Apocalypse. Not only was this book depressing, none of the characters were likable.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 172 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:48 pm

Rebis wrote:Dean White and Paul Mounts, definitely my two favorite Marvel colorists--maybe even including DC's colorists, I have thought they need to get better ones.

REALLY agree with Dean White.

That guy is amazing. He manages to make JR Jr's declining work look great.. he has kept the feel of Uncanny X-Force unified despite several artists working on it throughout Remender's run.. he's amazing on Ultimates, bringing a very euro feel to it with the color palette.

Timbales
Fisty McDigger

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Namaste, mother fucker
Formerly: timberoo

Postby Timbales » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:48 pm

I got this book, but didn't enjoy it very much. I won't bother with the AoA series.
However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum.
Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1501 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:40 pm

So, AoA Weapon X shouldn't have any of his mutat powers now either since he was in the immediate vicinity when the "no more mutants" event happened. I wonder how they are going to explain that one.

Other than that, I don't see the point of taking away AoA Sabretooth or AoA Jean Grey's mutant powers.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand