Advertisement

X-MEN 27 Process

Do you have a comic or other project you want to promote? Feel free to post about it here, but don't just post and run. Sticking around and joining in other discussions is the best way to get Outhousers interested in your work. These topics will also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum, for maximum exposure.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

jorge
Birdman

Liked in: 0 post

X-MEN 27 Process

Postby jorge » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:40 pm

These are the two composition sketches I did for the marvel editors, the concept I was given was to the depict the X-MEN surrounded by assassins. The image on the right was the first concept I nailed but the second one was the best choice since it's a much tightened shot and has more sense of danger.

Both of these images where done in a Photoshop CS5 with the Cintiq, I feel very comfortable doing the initial sketches since its easier to edit when needed.

At these point I keep polishing the sketch till I get to the level of detail that I want, I already know that I don't want any shadows in the image, all I want is to play around with line work and leave all the shading to the colors. Again, all these is done with the Cintiq and I really don't put any attention to the line quality of my work, all I look for is to have the composition and the details I need to polish the image on the next step.

Then I print out the image above and trace it with the light table using H pencils and 11 x 17 bristol board, then I ink the pencils using Staedtler stylographs and a couple of brushes. All I focus in this stage is to have smooth lines and a good linework.

Then I scan the image back to the computer at 300 dpi on grayscale and use the levels on the Photoshop to clean the image.

Once the levels are fixed I add a multiply layer to start laying the flats, this is the most boring part of the coloring process but is the most important since its the foundation of the image, I use a regular hard edge brush with 100% opacity and flow to cover all the areas. I tend to flat my character a one layer and my background elements on another for easer editing in the future.

Then I do a selection of the flats holding the ctrl button and clicking on the layer, this will select the entire layer so I can add another multiply layer and add a shadow tone for all my characters, this time I went for a green-gray shadow tone.

I didn't want to use a lot of contrast on my characters so I added 2 layer of shadows on multiply but lowering the opacity those ayers to have subtle shadows.
this process I do it with a customized brush that has a bit of texture with 70 opacity and 25 flow.

Then I start using lights just by adding layers on top on regular mode, since I wanted smooth transitions I didn't do a lot of mixing on light tones, I pretty much staid on the same tone values just by picking lighter colors and lowering my opacity on the layers.
Since I have two lights sources, one coming for the window an the other one for inside of the complex, I add a hard edge light on the back of my characters, this is a very helpfully lights since it makes the main characters pop, the second light is more subtle and helps to give volume to the characters.

Once I go trough all my lighting steps, usually using 3 layers of light, I merge all my colors leaving linework separated, this way I can polish the colors without disturbing the lines, at this point I already have my color plate so it's all about adding details and polishing the image. After polishing all the details I star adding effects like glows and glares by using layers on lighten mode and overlay also using textures on a overlay mode with very low opacity on the layer.

Once y merge all the layers I do a color correction with the ctrl+u untill I get a color balance i'm satisfied with.

For previews on the following X-MEN titles follow me on:
Twitter @jorge_molinam
Facebook Fan Page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jorge-Mol ... 6213026821
Blogger http://zurdom.blogspot.com/
Tumblr: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/jorgemolinam

Advertisement

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 0 post
Title: ThreadKilla

Re: X-MEN 27 Process

Postby MistaT » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:22 pm