Advertisement

Uncanny X-Force #20 (spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Uncanny X-Force #20 (spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:13 am

I did not like. :-(

First off, the art was hideous. Not to my taste, to be sure, but also unclear and muddy in some panels to the point of being painful to decipher. Even Dean White's colors weren't up to his usual standard here, it looked like a rushed job, or maybe he just felt he had to approach the new artist's work differently. Either way, it was not great.

I felt the internal reasoning of the magic squad kidnapping Psylocke and sentencing Fantomex to death made no sense at all, in one sentence they speak of the evil of Apocalypse in dozens of realities and in the next they seem to downplay the threat as perceived by Fantomex. The abbreviated "trial" scene was just plain silly, and made me think the Captain Britain folks are either vastly incompetent or under some other's control.

When you add in magic and wizards and giant troll creatures that seem to be the type of threat the Otherworld overlords should have no trouble handling but they can't, and this may be a good jumping off point for me, at least for a little while.

Advertisement

Timbales
Fisty McDigger

Title: Namaste, mother fucker
Formerly: timberoo

Re: Uncanny X-Force #20 (spoilers)

Postby Timbales » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:32 am

I'd love to see Betsy go back to her original body.
However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum.
Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:50 am

Timbales wrote:I'd love to see Betsy go back to her original body.

With the art, I had a hard time figuring if they were indicating that had already happened at the end of the issue or not.

Timbales
Fisty McDigger

Postby Timbales » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:53 am

Rebis wrote:
With the art, I had a hard time figuring if they were indicating that had already happened at the end of the issue or not.

most of the time, she's not drawn or colored to look Japanese as it is. Just darker, less full hair.
However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:56 am

Timbales wrote:
most of the time, she's not drawn or colored to look Japanese as it is. Just darker, less full hair.

True, I don't have the issue in front of me at the moment, but it seemed like her hair was purplish in this issue--a a lot of things were purplish in this issue, frankly, and I say that as a fan of Dean White usually--and the panels at the end including the montage on the last page were unclear to me.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:56 am

This has been one of my favorite titles in the last year, but I have to admit that this issue was very dissapointing to me as well.

I hope they wrap this storyline up quickly before it goes much further. And maybe I'm mistaken but I could have sworn Betsy wasn't a wallflower anymore when it came to her brother? She seemed to have gotten very wimpy around him.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:58 am

Starlord wrote:This has been one of my favorite titles in the last year, but I have to admit that this issue was very dissapointing to me as well.

I hope they wrap this storyline up quickly before it goes much further. And maybe I'm mistaken but I could have sworn Betsy wasn't a wallflower anymore when it came to her brother? She seemed to have gotten very wimpy around him.

Yeah, it seemed like everyone was being mind-controlled and weren't themselves--if it turns out that was the case, then it makes sense, but I don't think it is.

And I also wanted to like this new arc beginning, but I gotta call 'em like I see 'em.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 357 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:37 am

Rebis wrote:
True, I don't have the issue in front of me at the moment, but it seemed like her hair was purplish in this issue--a a lot of things were purplish in this issue, frankly, and I say that as a fan of Dean White usually--and the panels at the end including the montage on the last page were unclear to me.

The entire time betsy's been an x-man her hair has been purple regardless of the body she's been in.

Timbales
Fisty McDigger

Postby Timbales » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:44 am

e_galston wrote:
The entire time betsy's been an x-man her hair has been purple regardless of the body she's been in.

In modern depictions, they tend to make her hair look like it was lavender when she was English Betsy, though it was a deeper purple.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:49 am

I loved the issue. I fucking love Otherworld and the Captain Britain Corps, as concepts.. so I'm biased.

The art was bad, but I kind of attribute it to the inking being so heavy.. I usually like Tocchini.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 293 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:54 am

or

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Timbales
Fisty McDigger

Postby Timbales » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:56 am

I like the pink Alan Davis costume, but I'd like to see in her in that last X-Force costume, the one with legs and the cut outs.

I never liked the idea behind the armor. Betsy fought Sabertooth once. She's wasn't defenseless and isn't now that she is a ninja.

Timbales
Fisty McDigger

Postby Timbales » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:25 pm

Timbales wrote:I like the pink Alan Davis costume, but I'd like to see in her in that last X-Force costume, the one with legs and the cut outs.

I never liked the idea behind the armor. Betsy fought Sabertooth once. She's wasn't defenseless and isn't now that she is a ninja.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:34 pm

Holland Oats wrote:I loved the issue. I fucking love Otherworld and the Captain Britain Corps, as concepts.. so I'm biased.

The art was bad, but I kind of attribute it to the inking being so heavy.. I usually like Tocchini.

I like the Cap't Britain UK comics that are impossible to find anymore and the Alan Moore Run, but after the first dozen or two issues of Excalibur V1 I don't know much about where the characters have been.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 465 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:35 pm

Timbales wrote:I'd love to see Betsy go back to her original body.

I'll take the newer one if she's not using it.
ImageImageImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand