Advertisement

Moon Knight #9 (Old School Dracula Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Moon Knight #9 (Old School Dracula Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:37 am

As usual, as soon as a book is cancelled, it delivers an issue that demonstrates just why it shouldn’t be! This was a very good comic in the classic Bendis/Maleev manner. Bendis uses a great framing sequence of Buck Lime (I still can’t believe that name) kitting out Moon Knight with his Captain America, Spider-Man and Wolverine gear, and then we see the fight between MK and Count Nefaria with little to no words, just narration from one of Moon Knight’s personalities. It was a cool set-up and Bendis did a great job distilling Spidey, Cap and Wolvy (or at least MK’s perception of them) into recognisable voices. And then Nefaria just straight up kills Echo (disclaimer: she probably isn’t dead, but it looks that way) and Moon Knight goes full Wolverine on our asses. Next issue is going to be hardcore. Bendis also managed to find time for some cool little bits like the caption describing Marc Spector’s house as ‘Stately Awesome’ and the joke about the Secret Avengers. Maleev of course drew it all brilliantly. There’s only 3 issues left, they better count.

Advertisement

Rikk Odinson
Society Member

Liked in: 72 posts

Re: Moon Knight #9 (Old School Dracula Spoilers)

Postby Rikk Odinson » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:55 am

I agree that the book finally started getting better in this issue but sadly, the premise is still dumb but it looked like Bendis was getting ready to move away from that with the "death's" of Cap and Spidey.
Still, shoulda been at this point a couple issues ago. Maybe if they actually produced more than 18 or 20 pages an issue for the inflated cover price, it might have lasted long enough for a good creative team to come on.

I know some folks think it's cool but Maleev's art is scratchy crap, imo.

Plus, I'm starting to think that Bendis might be racist. I mean, he created a black male character and thought "Buck" was an okay name? Maybe he was saving "Buckwheat" for his next black character? I dunno?
That coupled with how he has totally emasculated Power Man and made him a boy toy for his own creation is starting to look kinda funny to me.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:59 am

Rikk Odinson wrote:I agree that the book finally started getting better in this issue but sadly, the premise is still dumb but it looked like Bendis was getting ready to move away from that with the "death's" of Cap and Spidey.
Still, shoulda been at this point a couple issues ago. Maybe if they actually produced more than 18 or 20 pages an issue for the inflated cover price, it might have lasted long enough for a good creative team to come on.

I know some folks think it's cool but Maleev's art is scratchy crap, imo.

Plus, I'm starting to think that Bendis might be racist. I mean, he created a black male character and thought "Buck" was an okay name? Maybe he was saving "Buckwheat" for his next black character? I dunno?
That coupled with how he has totally emasculated Power Man and made him a boy toy for his own creation is starting to look kinda funny to me.

I'm pretty sure Bendis is in no way a racist, not only has he raised Luke Cage to premier status in the Marvel Universe, but he introduced Miles Morales as the new Ultimate Spider-Man.

Plus he's got an adopted daughter who is black.

Rikk Odinson
Society Member

Postby Rikk Odinson » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:07 pm

Punchy wrote:
I'm pretty sure Bendis is in no way a racist, not only has he raised Luke Cage to premier status in the Marvel Universe, but he introduced Miles Morales as the new Ultimate Spider-Man.

Plus he's got an adopted daughter who is black.

Does he call her "Nappy" for a nickname?

Luke Cage is "premiere status"? Power Man was bad-ass. What Bendis has done to Luke is turn him into a baby-daddy for his Mary Sue, Jessica Jones. Surely the cuckold storyline is only a matter of time.

PS. Miles Morales. Yeah. Fake Spider-Man from the fake marvel U. Yeah, that's a bone for the black community.
Last edited by Rikk Odinson on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:09 pm

Rikk Odinson wrote:

Luke Cage is "premiere status"? Power Man was bad-ass. What Bendis has done to Luke is turn him into a baby-daddy for his Mary Sue, Jessica Jones. Surely the cuckold storyline is only a matter of time.

Uh, no.

Rikk Odinson
Society Member

Postby Rikk Odinson » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:32 pm

Punchy wrote:
Uh, no.

I'm sorry. You're probably right. He probably calls her "tootie".

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1153 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Marius665
Society Member

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Marius665 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:19 pm

Rikk Odinson wrote:

I'm sorry. You're probably right. He probably calls her "tootie".

where the F have you been brother!?

Hating SKYWATCHER since forever! Image

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Rikk Odinson wrote:

PS. Miles Morales. Yeah. Fake Spider-Man from the fake marvel U. Yeah, that's a bone for the black community.

:smt011

Not only too far with the comment about Bendis adopted daughter but...

Are you sure you know what a Mary Sue is? because Jessica is definitely not a Mary Sue. The Hood was much more of a Mary Sue than Jess has ever been.

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:05 pm

Fuck me rick could you be any stupider in this thread. Racist? Bloody hell.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:14 pm

Loved that scene of MK's Wolverine hallucination slaughtering the rest of them :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:58 am

Mr 2k12 wrote:Fuck me rick could you be any stupider in this thread. Racist? Bloody hell.

How the hell did this guy ever win a Poster Of The Year award?

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 116 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:10 am

premier status? what does that even mean? luke cage's name still doesn't sell comics.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 130 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:17 am

Rikk is being satirical regarding Bendis's naming his black character "Buck". The Buck, or Black Buck, stereotypes were for many years derogatory characterizations of black men, usually former slaves, as brutish monsters in thrall to their baser instincts, and used to scare white people. That is an entirely different thing from expressing one's own racist beliefs, children.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:41 am

Rebis wrote:Rikk is being satirical regarding Bendis's naming his black character "Buck". The Buck, or Black Buck, stereotypes were for many years derogatory characterizations of black men, usually former slaves, as brutish monsters in thrall to their baser instincts, and used to scare white people. That is an entirely different thing from expressing one's own racist beliefs, children.

Rikk is being a moron is what he is.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand