Advertisement

NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 11 - SECRET AVENGERS #21.1!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Re: NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 11 - SECRET AVENGERS #21.1!

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Amoebas wrote:At which point it will be time to review.... :smt017

I likely pick Winter Soldier #1, unless there's something better.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 339 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:24 pm

This wasn't a perfect issue by any means. The thing I had the most problem with was Cap's lecture to Hawkeye. It shifted in it's tone from panel to panel, one moment it seemed like it was a conversation between two old friends and the next it seemed like Cap and Hawkeye hadn't known each other all that long. It came across as clunky as a result. However, although this issue wasn't perfect, I still enjoyed it.

I like the new Masters of Evil, even though I'm not sure when Vengeance turned evil. I liked that Max Fury was the one to put them together -- there's something about that character that I really like. It doesn't make any sense that I should, normally I hate the evil twin/clone cliche. I guess there are always exceptions to every rule.

I'll give this a 7 out of 10.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:56 pm

What do you guys say? Winter Soldier #1 -- does that interest you? Or would you prefer Fatale #2? Or is there some other awesome book offered next week that I've overlooked. You can lobby now.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 339 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Eli Katz wrote:What do you guys say? Winter Soldier #1 -- does that interest you? Or would you prefer Fatale #2? Or is there some other awesome book offered next week that I've overlooked. You can lobby now.

Winter Soldier would be good. The first issue of Fatale was picked when it came out. It seems to make sense to do something different.

Thank you Troy for the sig

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:29 am

Story
I've been looking forward to Remender taking over this title for a while now. I reaaly enjoyed seeing a new Masters of Evil being formed and working with Max Fury. I thought the interactions between Cap and Hawkeye were good except a couple things. I found it strange that Cap would question Hawkeye's ability to lead. These two characters have known each other long enough that if felt strange and out of place. I loved Hawkeye ditching Cap after being insulted but I knew he would be back. I found it amusing that Cap knowingly walked into a trap and it would've backfired on him if Hawkeye didn't return and save the day. This issue wasn't perfect but I'm a fan of Remender and look forward to issue 22 and the revamped team.

Art
I've been a fan of Zircher since he was the regular artist on Cable & Deadpool and his art here didn't disappoint. I wish he was sticking around as the series regular artist.

Story - 7
Art - 7
Overall - 7

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 273 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:33 am

Eli Katz wrote:What do you guys say? Winter Soldier #1 -- does that interest you? Or would you prefer Fatale #2? Or is there some other awesome book offered next week that I've overlooked. You can lobby now.

The Boys #63 because I fucking said so.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:39 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
The Boys #63 because I fucking said so.

First, you take advantage of my wife and me; now you want to have my RG pick. You ask too much, sir.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:19 am

So, I select Winter Soldier #1.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 273 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:41 pm

Eli Katz wrote:So, I select Winter Soldier #1.

Pussy.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 617 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:49 am

What the fuck was this shit? This issue was bad. For at least half the book, there was a complete disconnect between what was happening in the story and the dialog. It felt like someone just gave the letterer these pages and said "put whatever you want in there." When the dialog DID make sense, it was annoyingly inconsistent with who these characters are and what their history is, vaguely referencing the most simplistic understanding of the Cap/Hawkeye dynamic but getting it all wrong. The constant "no, THAT was the real test" swerves were obnoxious and clumsy. The art was nice though.

Story: 0
Art: 7
Subtotal: 3.5
Hawkeye's shitty costume: -1
Overall: A generous 2.5

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 291 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:21 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Hawkeye's shifty costume: -1

I liked how he wore shatterable glasses and guess what - they shattered! He must have super-human eyes to have avoided injury (but if this were true why would he need glasses?)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:36 am

Secret Avengers #21.1 – ‘Red Light Nation’ – Remender, Zircher and Troy

Story – The story of Secret Avengers so far has been one of missed opportunity. Ed Brubaker launched the book with the promise of an epic conflict with the brand new villains, The Shadow Council. But just as he was seemingly getting started, Bru left with #12. Then came Nick Spencer, riding the crest of a wave as comics’ new golden boy. He proceeded to deliver what are probably the 4 worst scripts of his career. And then it was Warren Ellis’ turn. Now his 6-issue run was a lot of fun, but it was never going to be a lasting concern and kept the book in a holding pattern, albeit a very stylish one.

And now it’s Rick Remender’s turn at the Secret wheel, and at last it looks like the book is back on track. Remender has given the cast an injection of fresh blood, and also turned the attention of the story back onto the Shadow Council and their nefarious Lovecraftian plans.

This issue really serves as a teaser for Remender’s run as a whole, with former leader Captain America handing over the baton to Hawkeye, who thanks the upcoming Avengers movie has a funky new costume, but is also suddenly EVERYWHERE.

Basically a classy team-up between the two, Remender re-examines the often-rocky relationship between the two Avengers stalwarts and shows how each character’s approach to fighting crime is different. I’ve always been a big fan of Hawkeye and some of my earliest comics memories are of reading reprints of Lee/Kirby/Heck stuff with Hawkeye constantly getting in Captain America’s face, and it was great to see elements of that carried on into the modern day Marvel Universe, but also see how they have both matured and become friends.

As I said, this issue not only brings Hawkeye into the mix, but also re-introduces the Shadow Council as major threats. Yes we saw a lot of their goons in Ellis’ run, but here Remender brings back Max Fury, the LMD who leads them. The Shadow Council had the potential to be great new villains before Brubaker left his run prematurely, so hopefully Remender will continue the good work Bru started.

Overall this was a highly enjoyable issue and a great start to Remender’s run, he nailed a perfect high-class espionage James Bond tone here, but mixed in some fantastic Marvel Universe elements and minor villains, but still managed to make the focus here the relationships of the characters. I’m excited for his run to properly start, and to see how the likes of Giant-Man and Captain Britain work as Secret Avengers. Could this book finally be seizing the opportunity for greatness? I think so.

Art – Patrick Zircher has really upped his game lately and become one of my favourite comics artists. Ever since he illustrated Matt Fraction’s heavy-metal-as-fuck Thor one-shots he’s fantastic, from Mystery Men to Hulk and now here. His art is clean and expressive, but he can also bring the shadows when he needs to. It seemed to me that he kind of took some cues from Mike Deodato here. Gabriel Hardman is set to be the ongoing artist for Remender’s run, but I think it would be fantastic if he and Zircher were to alternate arcs.

Best Line – ‘When you seen your Yankee Doodle Deity in his Chicken-fried heaven – Tell him you died molesting the world!’

8/10

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Secret Avengers 21.1

This was just ok for me. Given Remender's stellar work lately, maybe my expectations were too high.

The dialogue ranged from fun to kinda off-putting to me. I get Cap and Clint have a complicated relationship, but I thought Cap was kinda taking it too far and almost being Tony Stark-like.

The ass-kicking and world saving parts were good though and I am glad Clint earned leadership in the Secret Avengers.

Art was good, I've always been a Zircher fan, I wish he got an ongoing rather than the odd issue here and there

7/10

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand