Advertisement

NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 13 - BATWOMAN #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 627 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 13 - BATWOMAN #6

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:22 am

So, Batwoman #6... wtf was this shit? I tried to start reading from issue #1 but found it completely incomprehensible. So i decided that maybe Williams needed some time to get used to writing without Rucka, so just skipped ahead to issue 6. It was slightly less jumbled, but still not good.

What a shame. Elegy was a great work of writing and art, but it's pretty clear that this book needs a strong writer. Williams is a great artist, and Amy Reeder may be even better, based on her work in Madame Xanadu, but not even great art can save this abysmal storytelling. The scenes seemed very disjointed, like this was a trailer for a comic showing key scenes instead of a full story. The dialog was terrible. I cannot bring myself to give a shit about any of the characters.

At least Kate Kane didn't look like a corpse in this issue, as Dave Stewart seemed to have the month off.

What a waste of talent. Squandering not one but two great artiats on such drivel is a crime, and the art itself becomes meaningless. It like Michelangelo sculpting David out of dog shit. Hire a decent writer and put them on this book asap, or call it a day.

Story: 0
Art: 8
Subtotal: 4
Wasted Potential: -2
Overall: 2

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:31 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:So, Batwoman #6... wtf was this shit? I tried to start reading from issue #1 but found it completely incomprehensible. So i decided that maybe Williams needed some time to get used to writing without Rucka, so just skipped ahead to issue 6. It was slightly less jumbled, but still not good.

What a shame. Elegy was a great work of writing and art, but it's pretty clear that this book needs a strong writer. Williams is a great artist, and Amy Reeder may be even better, based on her work in Madame Xanadu, but not even great art can save this abysmal storytelling. The scenes seemed very disjointed, like this was a trailer for a comic showing key scenes instead of a full story. The dialog was terrible. I cannot bring myself to give a shit about any of the characters.

At least Kate Kane didn't look like a corpse in this issue, as Dave Stewart seemed to have the month off.

What a waste of talent. Squandering not one but two great artiats on such drivel is a crime, and the art itself becomes meaningless. It like Michelangelo sculpting David out of dog shit. Hire a decent writer and put them on this book asap, or call it a day.

Story: 0
Art: 8
Subtotal: 4
Wasted Potential: -2
Overall: 2

It is a shame to see extremely talented artists wasting their all-too-precious creative time on crap like this to pay the bills.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 297 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:56 am

Punchy wrote:[list][*]Week 2: The Infinite #4 - 3.5

According to my math - this isn't what the review ratings averaged.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Svlad Cjelli wrote:
It is a shame to see extremely talented artists wasting their all-too-precious creative time on crap like this to pay the bills.

It's a particular shame because the output of both right before this was so memorable.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Reading this comic ruined reading all comics for me last night. I was all set to read a bunch but was so disgusted after this I just surfed wikipedia until I fell asleep.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 342 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:20 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Reading this comic ruined reading all comics for me last night. I was all set to read a bunch but was so disgusted after this I just surfed wikipedia until I fell asleep.

:shock:

Crap, looks like I dodged a bullet this week then.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:17 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Reading this comic ruined reading all comics for me last night. I was all set to read a bunch but was so disgusted after this I just surfed wikipedia until I fell asleep.

It wasn't quite that bad. Just an empty waste, with lots of purdy pictures.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:58 pm

Eli Katz wrote:It wasn't quite that bad. Just an empty waste, with lots of purdy pictures.

On its own, but depressing when you consider that those pretty pictures could be put to such better use.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:59 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
On its own, but depressing when you consider that those pretty pictures could be put to such better use.

Yeah, that's true.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:06 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
It's a particular shame because the output of both right before this was so memorable.

And you know what? I can't disagree with any of what the both of you are saying. Batwoman #6 was the most disappointing thing I bought this week and as one of the biggest champions of this character on this forum it's going to hurt for me to write my review, which is not going to be favorable in the slightest.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:09 pm

How do you even make such a boring lesbian superhero story? Lesbians are usually very exciting!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 283 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:08 am

This comic was an awful jumbled mess. Where was my buxom lipstick lesbian whose only character traits were being a buxom lipstick lesbian? Batwoman by Greg Rucka was all about the pussy eating this comic wasn't about it enough. Yeah this was just not good at all

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 53 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:37 am

Batwoman is the Lana Del Rey of comics, everyone spends so much time talking about the stuff around it, the controversy and what it means semiotically or symbolically, they forget that the actual music/actual comics have always been pretty meh.

And I actually quite like LDR, well, I like 3 or 4 tracks. But Batwoman? It's always been a fuss about nothing.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 283 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:37 pm

Punchy wrote:Batwoman is the Lana Del Rey of comics, everyone spends so much time talking about the stuff around it, the controversy and what it means semiotically or symbolically, they forget that the actual music/actual comics have always been pretty meh.

And I actually quite like LDR, well, I like 3 or 4 tracks. But Batwoman? It's always been a fuss about nothing.

Rucka's run was great, you're the reason my review reads the way it does.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:54 am

Story
I've been reading this book since the launch of the New 52. With each passing issue I keep hoping that the story will improve and not be such a convoluted mess. Well, it hasn't happened yet and this issue was worse than the previous five. The writing here was fairly boring and I found myself rushing to get through the issue. It did nothing to help explain the events of the previous five issues in a way that makes much sense. It's a shame because I really want to like this book. I just wish the story and dialogue was a s strong as the art.

Art
Since the start of the book the art has been the selling point for me. I was disappointed that Williams wasn't the artist here but Reeder did a wonderful job on the art here. Her art didn't make me miss Williams' work as much as I thought it would. With art this good and writing this bad I almost wish there was no words to ruin the beauty.

Story - 3
Art - 10
Overall - 6.5

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand