Advertisement

NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 13 - BATWOMAN #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 13 - BATWOMAN #6

Postby Punchy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:01 am

My pick for next week is Daredevil #9!

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 375 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:04 pm

Punchy wrote:My pick for next week is Daredevil #9!

I don't see any reason why my LCS won't have this. :)

Thank you Troy for the sig

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 326 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:10 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
I don't see any reason why my LCS won't have this. :)

Jesus hates you.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:14 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
Jesus hates you.

I'm an atheist, so I don't exactly care. :smt102

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 326 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:49 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
I'm an atheist, so I don't exactly care. :smt102

So am I, doesn't mean he doesn't hate you.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:53 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
So am I, doesn't mean he doesn't hate you.

Fair enough I guess.

I have to say, I am disappointed in him though. :smt011

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:16 am

You heathens are making Tim Tebow cry.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:46 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
Rucka's run was great, you're the reason my review reads the way it does.

I am honoured!

And Rucka's run was not all that.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:46 pm

DeadFett wrote:You heathens are making Tim Tebow cry.

Uhmm, I don't care what he thinks either. :smt102 :P

By the way, who the hell is Tim Tiebow anyway?

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:36 am

Stephen Day wrote:
Uhmm, I don't care what he thinks either. :smt102 :P

By the way, who the hell is Tim Tiebow anyway?

You'll care when you're burning in hell non-believer.

I don't know who Tim Tiebow is. :P

But Tim Tebow is the quarterback for the Denver Broncos. He is also an uber-christian.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:39 pm

Batwoman #6

Introduction

Wow, talk about a major disappointment. Usually I give my reviews an intro to help frame things into focus, but for this case, going right into the nitty gritty of this comic would serve the purposes of this review best. So what went wrong exactly? After reading this a few times, I can safely say that it was a number of reasons to pin this failure on.

Writing/Story

From the minute Greg Rucka left and this title was announced, skeptics have questioned whether the story would suffer from not having his hand to guide it, and while the first 5 issues have proven to be (at the very least) a commendable job by both Williams and Blackman, everyone involved in the storytelling has missed the mark here and none of the problems have to do with what’s written in the book. That’s right ladies and gentlemen; Batwoman #6 has decent dialogue and does a decent job getting inside some of the supporting cast’s head as they react to the events around them, the problem has to with the overall story structure.

As I was first reading this comic, I came away completely confused as to what was going on and it was only after reading the solicitation for Batwoman #9 (which comes out in May) that I got more of an understanding of what Williams, Blackman and Marts were going for. Being divided into 6 perspectives, this issue of “Batwoman” is divided into 6 major stories revolving around the main character’s choice to join the DEO and her continuing quest to go after Medusa. With this being a 22 Page Comic (and thank god it was a 22 Page Comic, because if It weren’t, this story would’ve suffered even futher) it would be quite a challenge to give make this comic work with all 6 stories going on at once, and if Batwoman #6 is any indication it’ll continue to be a challenge. What we get is a comic that reads like a Mexican Jumping Bean as it feels like the majority of these stories aren’t given enough time to resonate with the reader, because we need to jump to the next story to keep the pace going. What this adds up to a confusing mess to any new reader who dares pick up this comic off the rack, as they won’t be able to make heads and tails of what’s going on, nor will they be given any incentive to find out more, which is a no-no when a story frivously spends precious space on a sequence that takes up nearly 25% of the available space on a sequence that shows us that Batwoman now has Nano-Tube armor that seemingly protects her from everything short of nukes. It’s that beautifully drawn sequence that sums up the bad decisions of the story structure in this comic.

Art:

When I first heard that Amy Reeder was going to be doing Batwoman art, I was freaking ecstatic. Her work on “Madame Xanadu” was a huge part of why the book is one of the underrated classics of the past decade and for the most part she hasn’t lost a step here. Reeder’s Fundamentals are some of the best in the game as her art helps the story flow along and her characters are some of the most detailed. It would be almost perfect if it had the same life that her Xanadu work had. I know this is going to sound so damn nitpicky, but as I was reading this issue, I couldn’t help but feel that this lacked the same subtle layers that made her former work take a life of its own. Of course, such a thing is understandable considering that there are tighter deadlines to meet in this case, but like the work that preceded this current ongoing, it just feels like creative transcendence has been lost in the art as well.

My Final 22 Cents

As I sit down and finish off this review, I can’t help but think that one of the hurdles new characters that the Big 2 face are the fact that they are rarely given the creative teams that can produce the classic stories that cannot be ignored by any aspect of the fandom. When you add that aspect with the near-fanticial obsession with nostalgia that has been weaved into the identity of this aspect of the Industry, it becomes very easy to see why things are the way they are. Batwoman’s “Detective Comics” run stands out, because it’s one of the few instances where a new character in this part of the medium had a story that cannot be ignored by the general Wednesday crowd. Batwoman #6 if nothing else will serve as a reminder of what Rucka’s influence meant to this title and where his skills will be sorely missed. Here’s to hoping that Batwoman #7 is better than this, because this definitely not a good impression of a character that can’t afford too may bad impressions.

Final Judgment: 5

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 338 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:01 pm

Shit - this was my picked book and I haven't even read it yet. Nonstop biz-travel these last few weeks.

When I get home (finally) next week, I'll have one hellofa Box-O-Comics to open.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand