Advertisement

NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 14 - DAREDEVIL #9

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 14 - DAREDEVIL #9

Postby Punchy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:42 am

Everybody loves the new Daredevil, right? Let's test that hypothesis as DD faces up to the Review Group!

Daredevil #9
as selected by Punchy

Holland Oats has next week's pick

Comics are to be scored on a scale from 1-10. 1 being suck, 10 being a damn good comic. Your review must be at least a paragraph to show you've put some effort in, but beyond that, there's no right or wrong, unless you disagree with me :P

Holland Oats
Jude Terror
John Snow/Amlah6
Stephen Day
The President/Frag It
BubbaKanoosh
BlueStreak
Guitarsmashley
SilverPhoenix
Deadfett
Eli Katz
Ameobas
Punchy

Eventually, I will put together all of our reviews and we will have our very own article on the front page of The Outhouse! If you would like for your review to be included, please try to have it posted by the end of day on Tuesday.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Re: NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 14 - DAREDEVIL #9

Postby Punchy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:45 am

Scores on the doors!

• Week 1: Avengers #19 - 5.5
  • Week 2: The Infinite #4 - 3.5
  • Week 3: Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist #1 - 5.58
  • Week 4: Defenders #4 - 5.58
  • Week 5: Black Panther: TMDMA #526 - 8.55
  • Week 6: Amazing Spider-Man #676 - 4.19
  • Week 7: American Vampire #22 - 9.0
  • Week 8: Fatale #1 - 7.8
  • Week 9: Severed #6 - 8.5
  • Week 10: Hellblazer #287 - 9.0
  • Week 11: Secret Avengers #21.1 - 6.06
  • Week 12: Winter Soldier #1 - 8.88
  • Week 13: Batwoman #6 - 3.88

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 951 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:45 am

I'm really surprised that Batwoman got a higher score than The Infinite. The Infinite was better on its own, and for most had lower expectations to begin with.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:46 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I'm really surprised that Batwoman got a higher score than The Infinite. The Infinite was better on its own, and for most had lower expectations to begin with.

The Infinite is only that high because I counted your 10 when others said I shouldn't!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 951 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:48 am

Punchy wrote:
The Infinite is only that high because I counted your 10 when others said I shouldn't!

Do you really think Batwoman was better? Also, didn't you refuse to count Amoebas' score, which would have raised The Infinite?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:48 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Do you really think Batwoman was better? Also, didn't you refuse to count Amoebas' score, which would have raised The Infinite?

I didn't read Batwoman.

I didn't include Amoebas' first few reviews because they were all joke reviews.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:34 am

BUMPZ

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Snore. Why is this book lauded for being so good? The art was good but it seemed to slow the story and make a primary color toned book atmospheric and as I've repeatedly stated just makes the book slow. Also I can't take this book seriously after daredevil smells his fingers a panel next to him making out with Black Cat, yeah it's totally unrelated but absolutely hilarious. I don't know how Waid wrote it up but we now have an insight into Gail Simones sex life. But yeah I'm coming to this issue blind and there is really no insight into what's going in with this story and well yeah I didn't like it.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 404 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:33 pm

I didn't mind this issue. I don't understand what's going on with whatever Matt Murdock has stashed in the safe in his office, but it didn't matter when it came to understanding the focus of this issue. It was fun seeing Daredevil out of his element in Subterranea. The Moloids, being just as used to operating without site, proved to be good foes for him.

The pace of this issue was a little on the slow side, but some how I enjoyed it anyway. The ending with Mole-Man and the body was creepy.

My favourite line -- "Meanwhile, like good worker ants, the others continue loading the coffins towards god knows where. dozens of hideous little Charons rafting down the River Styx."

6 out of 10 -- not bad, not fantastic, but enjoyable enough.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:40 pm

Good issue. I don't get the hate or confusion..

I think this arc is going to be pretty brilliant. I can't remember the last time we saw Matt so out of place, and up against such a non-traditional DD villain like the Mole Man. I love the focus on Matt's senses that Waid has brought with this run so far. We've had an arc dealing with sound, with Klaw. Now we have one dealing with sight, with the moloids and The Mole Man.

I will be very interested to find out who Mole Man's been searching for.

Writing and story aside, the art in this is some of the best Marvel has to offer month in and month out, and this issue was no different. Rivera (and Martin) are the best I've ever seen at visually portraying Matt's radar senses. Brilliant stuff.

Story: 7
Art: 10

Total: 8.5

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:44 pm

It's your pick for next week!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:53 pm

I know, I'm trying to decide.

How about The Sixth Gun #19?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:43 am

Daredevil #9 - Untitled - Waid, Rivera, Rivera and Rodriguez

Story - Much has been made of the lighter side of the new series of Daredevil. Of how it's not as relentlessly grim and depressing as previous runs on the title. But to me, that misses the point, there is still darkness in Daredevil, the character's new gung-ho attitude is masking the same deep-seated problems he's always had, and the real reason that Mark Waid should be praised for his work here is that he manages to walk the tightrope perfectly. The book is light enough to please the fans who didn't like the kind of thing Bendis, Brubaker, Miller and others did with Matt Murdock, but still just dark enough not to put off those who did.

This latest issue is no exception. It's probably the darkest one yet (literally and figuratively), but also features several great, 'fun' moments.

The issue is literally dark because it takes place almost entirely underground, as Daredevil follows a skittering procession of Moloids who have stolen a bunch of coffins, including that of Matt Murdock's father, Battlin' Jack. Now that's dark stuff, body-snatching, and Waid and Rivera really give the issue a creepy feel. Lately Moloids have been depicted as being kind of cute in other titles (Incredible Hulk #1 even featured a sexy moloid!) but here... they are scary little gollums and nothing else.

Just like in previous story arcs where he came up against Klaw, it's a lot of fun to see Daredevil out of his element and facing the kind of super-villain he would never normally be fighting, and really, when you think of it, Mole Man is actually pretty suitable as a DD foe, because both of them are blind. It was a thrill to see them fight, and then the revelation at the end as to why exactly Mole Man is stealing the corpses... it was not only creepy, but also sets us up for a devastating next chapter.

But this issue wasn't just about DD's travails underground, it also built on what has happened previously in the series as Black Cat betrays Matt and steals the Omega Drive. The wordless page where Black Cat finally does the deed is a master-piece of visual comics storytelling, this book really does some of the best artwork on the market.

Overall, this was another very good issue of Daredevil, it was dark when it needed to be, but found time for moments of levity and action bits that raise a smile, if you're not reading this book, you're not only doing yourself a disservice, but also the entire comics industry. This is Big Two done right.

Art - I mentioned the artwork in the main body of the review, which is rare for me, but in the case of Daredevil, it has to be done, the artwork is just such an integral part of the series and I really don't think the book would work half as well without the innovative ways in which Paolo River (and Marcos Martin) have depicted Daredevil's powers. The radar-sense versions of the underground caves were absolutely brilliant, as was the way Rivera would sometimes use panels with nothing but blackness and an outline. It was brilliant how this issue used shadows, but still managed to keep the cartoon-style that has characterised the series so far. This book is worth reading for the art alone, but luckily, the writing is damn good too.

Best Line - 'Nothing to be afraid of... just caves' These lines really worked for me when contrasted to the monsters that DD was floating past. A great gap between the radar and the real.

9/10

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:46 am

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:19 am

Stephen Day's comic store is not going to have that.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand