Advertisement

Wonder Woman #6 (Quite frigid Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Wonder Woman #6 (Quite frigid Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:53 am

Another good issue of Wonder Woman, and really, after only 6 issues, this is already the best Wonder Woman story I’ve ever read, if only because it’s not cheesy as hell. Speaking of Hell, he shows up here, as a weird kid with candles on his head. This is probably the first Azzarello take on the Greek Gods that I haven’t really liked, it just didn’t seem very threatening at all. The best sequence in this issue was Wonder Woman’s fight with the Centaurs and how we saw it from Zola’s perspective as blood sprayed everywhere, it was just a level of bad-assery you don’t expect from a Wonder Woman title, and it’s probably the most graphic thing I’ve seen in a mainstream DC title for a while, the blood went up to her elbows! I’m not quite sure what Diana’s plan actually accomplished here, she used Hermes’ staff and one of Hades’ candles to do what? Make it so Hera can’t track her? I think that’s what happened but it wasn’t clear. Tony Akins’ art was solid once again, he’s a very good fill-in for Chiang, but even so, I can’t wait for the Cliffster to come back.

Advertisement

SaturnKnight
dINGO

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Wonder Woman #6 (Quite frigid Spoilers)

Postby SaturnKnight » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Punchy wrote:Another good issue of Wonder Woman, and really, after only 6 issues, this is already the best Wonder Woman story I’ve ever read, if only because it’s not cheesy as hell. Speaking of Hell, he shows up here, as a weird kid with candles on his head. This is probably the first Azzarello take on the Greek Gods that I haven’t really liked, it just didn’t seem very threatening at all. The best sequence in this issue was Wonder Woman’s fight with the Centaurs and how we saw it from Zola’s perspective as blood sprayed everywhere, it was just a level of bad-assery you don’t expect from a Wonder Woman title, and it’s probably the most graphic thing I’ve seen in a mainstream DC title for a while, the blood went up to her elbows! I’m not quite sure what Diana’s plan actually accomplished here, she used Hermes’ staff and one of Hades’ candles to do what? Make it so Hera can’t track her? I think that’s what happened but it wasn’t clear. Tony Akins’ art was solid once again, he’s a very good fill-in for Chiang, but even so, I can’t wait for the Cliffster to come back.

It is indeed one of the best Wonder Woman stories ever. I'm thoroughly enjoying this book.

RE: Hades
The crown of candles is actually an ancient depiction of Hades from probably the Middle Ages. Although I know where it came from, I can't tell you the reasoning behind it.

RE: The candle thrown at Hera
It shattered Hera's scrying pool she used to keep tabs on everyone. And you're right, it wasn't clear. The problem was mostly Akins' storytelling. He's a decent artist who did a commendable job, but Cliff Chiang is better at more smoothly translating Azzarello's words into pictures.

Love this book and can't wait for more. 8)

Agent Panic
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Stranger Danger

Postby Agent Panic » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:07 pm

While I personally prefer the George Perez rendition of Wonder Woman.. as well as the Messner-Loebs stories... this has to be the best NuDC book out there.

The art really took away from the story this issue, unfortunately. However, I love where this story is going and I find it hard to imagine THIS Wonder Woman having the time to be a member of the Nu-Justice League. Or even wanting to become a member. They just don't mix. This book feels like a Vertigo take on Wonder Woman.
Do you know what the most frightening thing in the world is?
It's fear.

Schlemmer
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Hot-Linker
Formerly: Schlemmer; spelled the same but sounds different

Postby Schlemmer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:20 pm

Agent Panic wrote:While I personally prefer the George Perez rendition of Wonder Woman.. as well as the Messner-Loebs stories... this has to be the best NuDC book out there.

The art really took away from the story this issue, unfortunately. However, I love where this story is going and I find it hard to imagine THIS Wonder Woman having the time to be a member of the Nu-Justice League. Or even wanting to become a member. They just don't mix. This book feels like a Vertigo take on Wonder Woman.

Exactly

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 423 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Maybe because "this" Wonder Woman is 5 years older than the one seen in Justice League right now.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 315 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:36 pm

I really wanna like this book but I just cant get into it. Azzarello is one of those guys I really love, just not when he's in the DCU proper. Much like Morrison he needs a book that is set just outside of the DCU.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:12 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Maybe because "this" Wonder Woman is 5 years older than the one seen in Justice League right now.

Maybe. But going from the "I love ice cream" version in JL to the badass one we get here is, understandably, difficult to reconcile. This is my preferred WW and I love this book. Johns version seems like a completely different character.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand