Monday, July 25, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Bring your own straight jacket."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Winter Soldier #2 (Worst mission ever Spoilers)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:14 am

After last issue ended on such an insane moment, this one just builds and builds on that. Not content with there being a talking gorilla with a gun, Brubaker then gives it a jet-pack. Awesome. But it’s not just there for a cheap joke, it makes sense within the story because of the involvement of the Red Ghost. I think what I liked best about this title is how it juxtaposes more realistic espionage elements with classic Marvel Universe iconography, so what looks like something from James Bond turns into a talking gorilla or a Pym particle device. It’s a cool approach, and it gives the book lot of leeway in what kind of stories it can tell. Butch Guice’s art was very impressive once again, although I did find the fight-scene in the snow a little hard to follow. This feels like the series Brubaker was born to write really, and hopefully it will keep up that quality.
User avatar

Marius665

Society Member

Postby Marius665 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:32 am

As long as the art has a dark tone I think the series will work fine.
Once they go more into a light "comic" art like how Cap went from Epting to Davis, I think the series will become less interesting.

I'd like to see them go up against another hero or villain couple.
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:13 pm

I loved the gorilla using the jet pack. :lol:

The pacing of this story has just been great. This issue it moved at a fast, but nowhere near confusing pace, that revealed enough to keep things interesting. I loved seeing the Doombot in the end.
User avatar

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Marius665 wrote:As long as the art has a dark tone I think the series will work fine.
Once they go more into a light "comic" art like how Cap went from Epting to Davis, I think the series will become less interesting.

I'd like to see them go up against another hero or villain couple.


I don't see that happening.

Cap underwent a visual change because it underwent a tonal change with the reboot. Bru is writing a 70's homage/mashup in that book, and grittier art wouldn't fit it at all.

I can't imagine a book about spies uncovering/destroying cold war era shit would be in the same vein at all. Just like the book kept a consistent visual tone throughout the Bucky-Cap era.

The Bass

Postby The Bass » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:47 pm

Curious who might actually fill in for Guice at some point, I'm assuming Lark, and Phillips..
User avatar

Drcharles

crash test dummy

Postby Drcharles » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:38 am

What can I say, its a great title, really enjoying it so far,
But I do have a question........about Black Widow.

How many as she been through in the Marvel Universe now ?
and,
Why isn't she aging ?
Talk about being the oldest swinger in town !
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:42 am

Drcharles wrote:What can I say, its a great title, really enjoying it so far,
But I do have a question........about Black Widow.

How many as she been through in the Marvel Universe now ?
and,
Why isn't she aging ?
Talk about being the oldest swimger in town !


I think she has been in a relationship with:

Red Guardian
Hawkeye
Iron Man
Daredevil
Hercules
Bucky

And probably Wolverine as well.
User avatar

Drcharles

crash test dummy

Postby Drcharles » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:10 am

Why isn't she aging ?
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:11 am

Drcharles wrote:Why isn't she aging ?


Erm... I think she was bio-engineered by the Soviets or something.
User avatar

Drcharles

crash test dummy

Postby Drcharles » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:55 pm

I think this is going to be a problem for characters that have come out from the cold war. Its going to date certain characters in the future and the storylines are going to be less accessible for younger readers
User avatar

Marius665

Society Member

Postby Marius665 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:58 pm

she dated Bucky in the past but didn't tell anyone he was alive?
User avatar

COBRA Command

cheese

Postby COBRA Command » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:04 pm

Marius665 wrote:she dated Bucky in the past but didn't tell anyone he was alive?


yeah if I was Steve I'd be a little pissed.
User avatar

Marius665

Society Member

Postby Marius665 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:07 pm

US Agent wrote:
yeah if I was Steve I'd be a little pissed.


that doesn't make any sense at all.

I thought they met and started hooking up. as I continued reading and went back to Cap I noticed that they were hookin up in the past.

has this been address by Steve or anyone else as to why Natasha never said Bucky was alive or that he was being used to kill people?
User avatar

Drcharles

crash test dummy

Postby Drcharles » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Marius665 wrote:
that doesn't make any sense at all.

I thought they met and started hooking up. as I continued reading and went back to Cap I noticed that they were hookin up in the past.

has this been address by Steve or anyone else as to why Natasha never said Bucky was alive or that he was being used to kill people?



Perhaps she didn't know that he was thee Bucky from the 2nd World War fame
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Drcharles wrote:

Perhaps she didn't know that he was thee Bucky from the 2nd World War fame


Good point, I don't recall her ever being told that in any of the flashbacks. Considering what the brainwashing did to him, I can't see him telling her either.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: IvCNuB4, OneWhoIsAll and 80 guests