Advertisement

NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 16 - MOON KNIGHT #10

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Re: NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 16 - MOON KNIGHT #10

Postby DeadFett » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:28 am

Story
I must say I'm actually surprised that Echo is really dead. Although it makes sense for Bendis to kill her off since he was her creator. I have to say though I haven't been a big fan of Bendis' run on Moon Knight. I really don't care for the voices in Marc's head being Wolverine, Captain America and Spider-Man. It continues to feel like a cheap gimmick to pull in fans of those characters and boost sales. Although it will mean the end of the title, I'm anxious to see this run end. This issues actually amped up the action as we near the finale. Nefaria's daughter, Madame Masque, has showed up in an effort to destroy Moon Knight. I really hope Buck doesn't die. He's been one of the more interesting things about this current run of Moon Knight. I'm curious to see what happens to the Ultron head at the end of the series. I don't think Bendis was a good fit for Moon Knight. I can only hope that if they try another title they get a writer who can do the character justice.

Art
Maleev's work was great as usual if you're a fan of his work. He ususally hits home runs when paired with Bendis but the writing here drags the book down.

Story - 6
Art - 9
Overall - 7.5

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 16 - MOON KNIGHT #10

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:43 am

Moon Knight #10 - Untitled - Bendis, Maleev and Hollingsworth

Story - Everybody knows that I'm one of Brian Michael Bendis' most ardent fans, especially on this board, where he is hated really rather disproportionately. So it should come as no surprise that I enjoyed this issue of Moon Knight just as much as I have enjoyed every other issue, and pretty much everything else Bendis has done (I didn't especially like his Ultimate X-Men, and Mighty Avengers dragged a bit, so I'm not a total mark). It's actually quite hard to write a review of just one issue of Bendis' Moon Knight, because it really is one big 12-issue story with each issue running into the next.

But this one does pick up with a big moment, which is the death of Echo. At the end of #9 Echo was blasted by one of Count Nefaria's lasers or ionic beams or whatever, and it looked like she was dead, but of course, this is comics, so you never can be sure. This issue confirmed that, yep she is dead, and set Moon Knight on a final collision course with Nefaria.

Bendis is building up to a massive finale here, and it's complicated even more by the involvement of Madame Masque, who is of course Nefaria's daughter. The scene where Masque breaks into Echo's autopsy was brilliant, I've always liked the character as a part of the Iron Man universe, and it's very cool to see her show up outside of her element in Moon Knight. That's actually been one of the great pleasures of this series, it's another side of the Marvel Universe and we're seeing a lot of characters in new lights. I wonder if Masque's boyfriend the Hood will show up? I want Bendis to have him appear just to piss people off!

This issue was another very strong issue of Moon Knight, with some very stylish sequences and evocative depictions of nightmares, but really, it's just another step towards #11 and #12. This is one story, and one part of it is just as good as another.

Art - Alex Maleev and Bendis are pretty much the perfect combination, they've reached that stage where their collaboration is pretty much seamless, it's almost one vision, and reading anything they do, just like anything Brubaker/Phillips or any other partnership do, is a joy. Maleev can do the realistic police scenes, as well as the lurid nightmares, as well as superhero action. It's just good stuff. I can't wait for what they do next, and of course, for when Scarlet returns.

Best Line - 'You have Moon Knight in custody. And you didn't think to print him'

7/10

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand