Advertisement

NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 15 - THE SIXTH GUN #19

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1066 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 15 - THE SIXTH GUN #19

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:37 am

So I read all 19 issues of this series to catch up and maintain my perfect nuview group record. I'm glad I did, as this series is awesome.

This particular issue showed off the polished storytelling skills of Cullen Bunn. The situation with the dual towns of Penance mirrors that of the Sword of Abraham and the Knights of Solomon - it's difficult to tell who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. One thing for certain is that our heroes can't trust anyone. In addition, this book does an ezcellent job of putting new twists on western and horror cliches, achieving a feel to the book where the stories come off as both fresh and universal.

I say this all the time, but it bears repeating. Comic art should be comic art, not photorealistic DVD stills. This book is definitely the former, which is a good thing. If anything, the art may be a little too cartoony for the subject matter, particularly in an issue dealing with towns full of deformities, but it works. It's certainly better than stuff like Severed which tries to be atmospheric but ends up being boring instead.

I'm not sure this second issue in an arc is the best place for new readers to jump on, but the recap page in each issue of this series does an admirable job of providing a summary of the concept.

What can I say? I can find little wrong with this series at all - it's destined to be a classic.

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:27 pm

One of us! One of us!

Love when someone is won over with this book - it's really good, and deserves to be more popular than it is.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Holland Oats wrote:One of us! One of us!

Love when someone is won over with this book - it's really good, and deserves to be more popular than it is.

word 'em up.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1066 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:06 pm

chap22 wrote:word 'em up.

I read six issues the first night, another 5 the next night, and the rest the next. I was hurting all week at work from getting no sleep, but I couldn't stop! :lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand