Advertisement

NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 17 - HULK #49

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 17 - HULK #49

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:24 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:her

That's something you put up isn't it? It was going to be the Bavarian weightlifter in a dress wasn't it? :smt011

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
That's something you put up isn't it? It was going to be the Bavarian weightlifter in a dress wasn't it? :smt011

I was going to get keb to be the other guy.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:25 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I was going to get keb to be the other guy.

Well damn. :shock:

That I wouldn't have expected.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:04 am

Punchy wrote:Amlah didn't pick anything

Probably because I haven't posted in these threads in over 2 months and shouldn't have still been on the list.

Punchy wrote:There wasn't enough time. And there's nothing in the rules about there having to be a poll, I just picked something randomly.

Sure there was. You're just a fuck up and decided to leave it out of the OP. Or hell, maybe BS is the fuck up and left it out of the OP. Either way, it used to be in the OP and you guys fucked up a fairly simple copy and paste. My guess is that you left it off because it bumped up to the price limit thing and you're still butthurt over that.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:06 am

And really, Hulk over Manhattan Projects? Shade over Saga and Fairest? There's a reason there's like 2 reviews a week now.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 615 posts

Postby HNutz » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:25 am

Wasn't a huge fan of Fairest but really liked Manhattan Projects.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:05 pm

amlah6 wrote:
Probably because I haven't posted in these threads in over 2 months and shouldn't have still been on the list.

Sure there was. You're just a fuck up and decided to leave it out of the OP. Or hell, maybe BS is the fuck up and left it out of the OP. Either way, it used to be in the OP and you guys fucked up a fairly simple copy and paste. My guess is that you left it off because it bumped up to the price limit thing and you're still butthurt over that.

I changed the rules.

And since you haven't posted in 2 months, where do you get off ranting at me? I should have (and now have) removed you from the list.

I can't believe some of you guys, taking it so fucking seriously.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:05 pm

amlah6 wrote:And really, Hulk over Manhattan Projects? Shade over Saga and Fairest? There's a reason there's like 2 reviews a week now.

So what if I picked Shade over a title that you would have picked? We all have our own tastes. It's my pick and I'm going to pick something that I enjoy and am getting. That's what happened in the old review group and I don't recall anyone complaining then.
Last edited by Stephen Day on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:06 pm

amlah6 wrote:And really, Hulk over Manhattan Projects? Shade over Saga and Fairest? There's a reason there's like 2 reviews a week now.

Stephen can chose what he wants.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
So what if I picked Shade over a title that you would have picked? We all have our own tastes. It's my pick and I'm going to pick something that I enjoy and am getting. That's what happened in the old review group and I don't recall anyone complaining then.

Ignore him.

All these people concerned about this group but they don't seem to ever review anything.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:01 pm

Punchy wrote:
Ignore him.

All these people concerned about this group but they don't seem to ever review anything.

Really? Because I've reviewed the majority of new picks and I'm the one complaining. Way to kill the group.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:41 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
Really? Because I've reviewed the majority of new picks and I'm the one complaining. Way to kill the group.

Kill the group?

I was the only one willing to take it over after Bluestreak left! If you want to be tyrant again, be my guest, because really, it's not worth the hassle of dealing with this bullshit.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:50 pm

Punchy wrote:
Kill the group?

I was the only one willing to take it over after Bluestreak left! If you want to be tyrant again, be my guest, because really, it's not worth the hassle of dealing with this bullshit.

If you run it to encourage bullshit and be an actual tyrant then yes. And considering I don't have employment right now I don't want to commit to running the group since finding employment and then doing that job will be a top priority.

- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:56 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
If you run it to encourage bullshit and be an actual tyrant then yes. And considering I don't have employment right now I don't want to commit to running the group since finding employment and then doing that job will be a top priority.

I don't have a job either, yet I still do this.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:31 am

Hulk #49 - 'The Incident' - Parker, Casagrande and Curiel

Story - I can't really believe that Red Hulk has almost reached 50 issues (and with various King-Size, Alpha, Gamma and Point One issues, it's actually over 50). I know it's not technically a new character, but it is a new concept, and it's great to see it last so much longer than I think anyone would have expected. Jeff Parker has taken a fairly ridiculous character and make it make sense, and under his pen, this title has become one of the most enjoyable traditional superhero comics on the market.

This issue is no exception, delivering epic superhero punch-up action, but crucially, it's action with a brain behind it. The centrepiece of this issue was a fight between Hulk and Ikaris of The Eternals, which was of course, awesome. Seeing these kinds of fights is a base, playground kind of pleasure, but it was still fun. I've always liked The Eternals, especially Neil Gaiman's recent-ish reinterpretation of them, and it's good to see them back involved in the Marvel Universe.

I also liked how this fight didn't just happen for no reason, it spins out of Hulk's recent confrontation with Zero/One, and looks set to not be a one-off guest appearance. It looks like The Eternals are going to be a big subplot in this book for a while. This is good, as Parker has so far managed to juggle several subplots and villains in this title to good effect. This book is old-school in that way, and if you like stuff like Invincible, this is very similar. Except with a big red dude punching shit up.

I will say that there probably wasn't enough of a fight for my liking, but it's hard to strike a balance between fight scenes and other scenes, not every title can have a mini-series just for the fights!

Overall, this was another top-notch issue of Hulk, the team of Rulk, Machine Man and Annie the LMD is now in a very strong groove, and Parker just keeps adding more and more subplots. Yes, the character was invented by Loeb, but it's not that ridiculous comic anymore, it's still got the brawn, but now it has the brains. Here's to another 50 issues!

Art - Elena Casagrande has stepped onto this book after the departure of Gabriel Hardman, and for me, she's done a fantastic job. Her style is somewhat similar to Hardman's, but perhaps it's a little bit more expressive. It reminds me at times of Leonard Kirk or Paul Pelletier, which is perfect for an old-school book like this one. I loved her depictions of the Eternals, who looked both goofy in cool in that klassic Kirby way.

Best Line - 'Because I protect the weak, not destroy their homes like you modern heroes do' Oh snap! Ikaris telling it like it is!

7.5/10

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand