Saturday, October 1, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "The trash of the multiverse has gotta end up somewhere."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Gallery of the Ntikrst

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Benderbrau

Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:45 am

Why are you afraid of shading?
User avatar

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:09 am

Benderbrau wrote:Why are you afraid of shading?


Why do you only bust the balls of the new art people?
User avatar

Benderbrau

Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:10 am

Doc Jon wrote:
Why do you only bust the balls of the new art people?

If you think that then you clearly haven't been paying attention.

And it's a valid question so bite me.
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:00 pm

Benderbrau wrote:If you think that then you clearly haven't been paying attention.

And it's a valid question so bite me.


Nah. A valid question would be "Is there a reason you don't use shading?"
User avatar

The Beast

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby The Beast » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:09 pm

Doc Jon wrote:Ah, very cool.

I think you should work on varying your lineweights a little more to add more depth to the composition.


That project is in the bag, and those 3 pics are extremely magnified and cropped. They don't look so flat when viewed on the page in proper scale. But it is crude, I was trying to give it a Golden Age feel. In the second book I'm going for more of a traditional Silver Age look.

Benderbrau wrote:Why are you afraid of shading?


Because I don't have anything to hide. 8)

I'm a minimalist, my heroes are guys like CC Beck, Alex Raymond, Alex Toth, Steve Rude, and Gary Frank. My interests lie in strong anatomy, motion, balance and emotional expression. People who rely heavily on shading have to because their technical skills are weak. I'm still working out my design formula for the male and female form, but I've just about got it locked down.

I'll work out some kind of minimalist rendering style after I master my design formula but that will come later.
User avatar

Benderbrau

Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:12 pm

sdsichero wrote:
Nah. A valid question would be "Is there a reason you don't use shading?"

tomato/tomatoe
User avatar

Benderbrau

Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Ntikrst wrote:Because I don't have anything to hide. 8)

I'm a minimalist, my heroes are guys like CC Beck, Alex Raymond, Alex Toth, Steve Rude, and Gary Frank. My interests lie in strong anatomy, motion, balance and emotional expression. People who rely heavily on shading have to because their technical skills are weak. I'm still working out my design formula for the male and female form, but I've just about got it locked down.

I'll work out some kind of minimalist rendering style after I master my design formula but that will come later.

I think you're confusing black and white shading with colored shading. Or I'm using the wrong terminology. Maybe I should have said highlighting instead of shading? I dunno but let's just assume that I'm not and you're wrong and not me. ;)

The point is it all looks flat without it. Even the artists you mention used highlights and shading.
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:21 pm

Benderbrau wrote:I think you're confusing black and white shading with colored shading. Or I'm using the wrong terminology. Maybe I should have said highlighting instead of shading? I dunno but let's just assume that I'm not and you're wrong and not me. ;)

The point is it all looks flat without it. Even the artists you mention used highlights and shading.


It looks to me like animation character models.
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:22 pm

Benderbrau wrote:tomato/tomatoe


Which is the more dickish choice?

(answer is probably something like "the one you'd choose"_
User avatar

The Beast

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby The Beast » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:29 pm

Benderbrau wrote:I think you're confusing black and white shading with colored shading. Or I'm using the wrong terminology. Maybe I should have said highlighting instead of shading? I dunno but let's just assume that I'm not and you're wrong and not me. ;)

The point is it all looks flat without it. Even the artists you mention used highlights and shading.


As will I, after I've locked down the design formula. Then I'll go back and design a minimalist rendering technique that works with the style I've designed.

sdsichero wrote:
It looks to me like animation character models.


At this stage they are, essentially. After I've got the design formula mastered, then I'll add another layer to each pic and design a simple rendering technique for shadows.
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:34 pm

Ntikrst wrote:
As will I, after I've locked down the design formula. Then I'll go back and design a minimalist rendering technique that works with the style I've designed.



At this stage they are, essentially. After I've got the design formula mastered, then I'll add another layer to each pic and design a simple rendering technique for shadows.


That makes sense. Though shading and highlights make things look cool, it's also useful to look at the design from just a pure shape/color angle. A little contour shading sometimes helps to flesh out what certain shapes are supposed to be (say if something pops out straight at the viewer, or recedes), but seeing the pure form helps to iron out many issues.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests