Advertisement

NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 20 - AVENGERS VS X-MEN #0

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Re: NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 20 - AVENGERS VS X-MEN #0

Postby GLX » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:31 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Liked the art, especially on the Wanda side. Story's were relatively forgettable. Wanda's story had nothing to do with AvX #1 and Hope's only served as a reminder that she's a rebellious teenaged redhead that reminds Scott of his deader than dead, deaditty dead wife.

A generous 5 overall.

What's your pick?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:24 pm

Story
The first story here focused on Wanda the Scarlet Witch. This half of the book felt out of place. It didn't really seem to have anything to do with Avengers vs X-Men. It featured a meaningless battle followed by Carol convincing Wanda to stop by Avengers Mansion and to say hello. Vision greets her and is a total dick to Wanda. I kinda understand his position though. Maybe this was a set up as to whose side Wanda will chose once the fighting starts. Other than that, this was a very boring read.

The second story starts with a conversation between Hope and Cyclops regarding her nocturnal habits. I wouldn't call this story exciting either but it least it had more of a connection to Avengers vs X-Men than did the first story. Eventually Hope leaves Utopia and gets into a skirmish with the Serpent Society. More meaningless fighting ensues and the story ends with Hope going back to Utopia with Cyclops and the gang. Nothing spectacular here either but slightly better than the first story.

Art
Love Frank Cho's art and that made the $3.99 price palatable. I love the amount of detail he packs into each panel. And of course, the way he draws women is easy on the eyes. I feel his talents were a bit wasted here on the snoozefest that was the two stories in this issue.

Story - 3
Art - 10
Overall - 6.5

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:57 am

issue was boring, Frank Cho can draw women and non humans. If you're male than you look like your eye sockets are melting.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:56 am

Avengers Vs X-Men #0 - 'Scarlet Witch' and 'Hope' - Bendis, Aaron, Cho and Keith

Story - AvX is set to be the biggest event Marvel have done in a while, maybe ever, but at least since Civil War, and the build-up has been all over comics lately, driving fan anticipation to a frenzy. Stories like X-Sanction, The Children's Crusade have the shadow of this event hanging over them, knowing that 'It's Coming' has been a factor in our reading of Marvel Comics for at least the last 6 months.

So now that's it's finally here.... this #0 issue was kind of a disappointment. This issue is not where AvX begins, we don't get to see Iron Man punch Colossus yet. It's just more build-up, which, when we've had months and months of build-up, feels unnecessary.

That said, it was enjoyable, and for newer casual readers who haven't been reading all of the other titles that lead up to this, it provides a great summation of where both Scarlet Witch and Hope are at right now, before everything blows up.

The first story focuses on Scarlet Witch, who in the aftermath of Children's Crusade is now pretty much fully compos mentis and back to being a superhero. She fights MODOK (always good to see MODOK) alongside Ms. Marvel and Spider-Woman, and then heads back to the Mansion where her ex-husband (that's ex, not X) The Vision chews her out. The scene where Vizh tells her to leave was very well-written by Bendis, and anyone who liked it should definitely also seek out Avengers #24.1, which has plenty more awesome synthozoid emotion. The homage to 'even an android can cry' was a little on the nose, but it worked.

The second story is about Hope, the so-called Mutant Messiah and soon-to-be-Phoenix. She butts heads with Cyclops, her kind of grand-father about how he never tells her anything about why she's so special, then flies off to kick some Serpent Society ass. I enjoyed this story more than the Scarlet Witch one, because I feel that Jason Aaron has a better handle on these characters than Bendis does on the Avengers he focused on in his story, he may have written like 200 Avengers comics, but most of them haven't had Vision or Wanda in them. The fight between Hope and the Serpent Society was very well-done, and shows to any new readers just who Hope is, she's a tough fighter, not just a Jean Grey clone, and demonstrates just why the prospect of her becoming Phoenix is so worrying.

The issue ends with a shot of the deadly cosmic fire-bird, and sets us up for next week's #1, which hopefully should get things rolling with the As actually starting to fight the Xs. This issue was a let down in some ways (I just wanted to get to the fireworks factory!), but it's also pretty important context for a very important event. Next week the bloodbath begins, but for now, the two sides are allies, this is our last chance to see them like that. After this issue, things will never be the same again!

Until the next event.

Art - Frank Cho is one of my favourite artists, he's often unfairly criticised as a cheesecake artist, and yes, while he does draw very attractive women with large breasts, he also draws everything else brilliantly. His MODOK is awesome, his depictions of the male characters is also very strong, and his backgrounds are detailed and interesting. He's a top-tier superhero artist, and I always look forward to his work.

Best Line - 'Though yes, I would like my jetpack back'

7/10

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:36 am

Swamp Thing #8 is my pick, FYI.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 62 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:29 am

Holy hell, was the Vision ever a douche in this issue. I don't think Bendis could write that character any worse.

That being said, I enjoyed this issue quite a bit for what it was: A #0 issue. It set the ground rules, let you know enough of what came before and who was who to help out any new readers while still giving enough to existing readers to pull them in and push them forward.

I won't lie: I'm as excited about this as I have been about anything in years. The Avenges and X-Men both have some noble characters, some true heroes. They also have some world-class douches on both rosters.

As a result: I'm not overthinking this. I'm going to enjoy watching Magneto tear Tony Stark a new one, just as I'm going to enjoy Colossus beating the hell out of Thunderbolt Ross.

Oh, the ratings:

Story: 8
Art: 9
Concept: 10 -- It's about time that we got a Phoenix story that made sense -- it's been 32 years!

Overall: 9

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand