Advertisement

Superman #7 (Did you just say 'Yo'? Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Superman #7 (Did you just say 'Yo'? Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:51 am

Although Superman is fighting a modern threat here in the Daemonites, this issue felt very old-school. But in a good way. Jurgens and Giffen here bring to mind the late-80s/early 90s era of Superman, which was, to me, something of a golden age. I liked that the focus was more on Clark Kent here, on his troubles in the office of the Daily Planet, I’ve always been on the side of ‘Clark is the real person, Superman is the mask’ so it’s cool to see that reflected. The fight between Supes and the Daemonite-Lizard thing was decent and Helspont looks like being a good villain. This issue is a great mish-mash of the old and the new, it feels like classic Superman, but there are differences, he’s fighting a Wildstorm villain, the way he puts on his costume is new. I feel like fans who are disenfranchised with the ‘new’ Superman should check this out, they may be pleasantly surprised.

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Superman #7 (Did you just say 'Yo'? Spoilers)

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:25 am

I dropped Superman a couple of months ago. The idea of Giffen being involved was enough for me to drop it (yes, I still bear a grudge over his constant killing of Karate Kid. :smt013 )

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:23 am

Cool cover art, though 8)

-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 am

Punchy wrote:I’ve always been on the side of ‘Clark is the real person, Superman is the mask’ so it’s cool to see that reflected.

This.

I hate when people try to force the "Kill Bill" idea of Superman. Yes, we understand the fact that Clark Kent is an alien from the planet Krypton but he wasn't raised there. He was raised on a farm in Kansas by Jonathan and Martha Kent. He may be Kal-El, the Last Son of Krypton but at the end of the day he is really a small-town farm boy.

I dropped this title after the first issue but I decided to pick it up again for this issue to see what Giffen brought to the table. This issue was ok but unless the next issue is an improvement, I will probably drop it again.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand