Advertisement

Justice League #7 (Discussion of the main story Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 47 posts
Title: Shitlord

Justice League #7 (Discussion of the main story Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:27 am

There was more to this issue than the Shazam stuff!

A big improvement over the disaster that was #6, and that’s not just because it’s always good to have Gene Ha artwork, the writing was a lot closer to Johns at his best. I liked that the story focussed on Steve Trevor (although it is odd that he hasn’t appeared once in Wonder Woman’s solo title) and on the people on the ground, rather than on the League. Johns is laying it on a bit thick with all of the ‘modern day gods’ thing, but you really felt for Steve when he admitted he was in love with Wonder Woman. Idiot Hal Jordan continued here, no signs of a 5 year gap maturing him, but at least it was somewhat amusing here, although I do hate it when Johns uses Wonder Woman’s truth lasso for gags, it’s just lame. Oh yeah, and why was Batman so against the Justice League International here? He’s actually been fairly supportive in that book so far, but then Johns has never really been able to write a Batman who isn’t a massive tool.

As for the oh-so controversial and evil Shazam back-up, I actually quite enjoyed it. Johns and Frank make a really great team, and I really liked the fake-out where you’re led to believe that Billy Batson is some kind of perfect little kid, when he’s actually a much more realistic character. I know some people want Captain Marvel to be all whimsy, all the time, but I think this take works, it looks like becoming Shazam will be what teaches Billy to be good. In fact, the only problem I have with it is the name-change, which is out of DC’s hands in a lot of ways, but other than that, this was a fine start to me.

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 242 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Justice League #7 (Discussion of the main story Spoilers

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:15 am

Yeah, I was confused by the JLI line also. Maybe he feels that the JLI is getting more attention than the League, or maybe this is just when the JLI forms :smt102

I do like that Steve Trevor's role is now more than just "Wonder Woman's boyfriend".
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 130 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:34 pm

7 straight issues of crap. I'm done. Johns needs to go the route of CC and Austen, unemployed.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:54 pm

This one one of the single worst Justice League books I've ever read. Seriously, I like Geoff Johns but I honestly don't think he's right for this book.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:28 pm

nietoperz wrote:This one one of the single worst Justice League books I've ever read. Seriously, I like Geoff Johns but I honestly don't think he's right for this book.

:smt023
Welcome to my way of thinking.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders

Drcharles
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Drcharles » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:16 am

I’ve just come on here to see if I was the only one thinking that this version of the Justice League isn't all that good !
Well I think something is wrong with the new DC 52, it may appeal to all the tens of thousands of virgin readers that DC expects to be flooding to the comic book stores, riding off the backs of the films, but I feel to the older readers these stories are disenfranchising them. It felt when Dan Didio was at the helm that readers didn’t want the Silver Age to return, and that’s fair enough, but what’s happened now in the JLA is a new team that’s nearly Silver Age, but appealing to very few.
All the Justice Leagues history is no more, readers can’t look up old issues that current story lines prefers to (I used to like that when I first started reading comics) because there aren't any references to look up not with the clock back being turned back to zero.
The nearly Big Seven maybe the Justice League on this Earth but one can't help thinking that DC have lost a golden opportunity when they wrongly introduced Cyborg, put in solely for a modern day black token, and not the Martian Manhunter.
The problem for a team that’s 99% Silver Age is for readers to disconnect from all the original stories that involved these characters.
I’ve just read issues # 1 - 7, well looked at the pictures mainly because there was little writing in some of the issues, and realised that this going to be the first time that I will be dropping the Justice league in many years, I feel it’s just that bad.
With the exceptions of Hawkman, Aquaman, and the Green Lantern books the whole DC line isn't appealing to me.

Oh, and the 'Holding the Line' slogan at $2.99, along with the dropped letters pages that came about for all of 3 months shows how little integrity DC have, they aren't all that serious about their future or their past by the looks of things, as long as they occasionally beat Marvel a couple of times a year in sales; So I don't feel all that bad about slagging off their so called Flag-Ship title.

One last point.

There was an interesting feature in issue # 6, with Pandora and the Phantom Stranger, which makes me believe that this whole 52 line is just a temporary thing anyway......
Last edited by Drcharles on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

oh and a pic of ben affleck playing a blind matt is enough to make me not take you seriously.....

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:21 am

Is it just me or is Johns writing two different Hal Jordan's? I mean in JLA hes like a fucking child and in GL he's very capable and not really childish at all. You can say its that way in the first 6 issues because its at the start of his career, but now with issue 7 and the preview of issue 8 he's still very childish.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:25 am

avengingtitan wrote:Is it just me or is Johns writing two different Hal Jordan's? I mean in JLA hes like a fucking child and in GL he's very capable and not really childish at all. You can say its that way in the first 6 issues because its at the start of his career, but now with issue 7 and the preview of issue 8 he's still very childish.

Maybe he feels more relaxed when he's with the league and doesn't have to feel like he's got the whole world in his hands.

When is Johns going to add the others that were teased in the promotional pics? I'm more interested in them and Cyborg than the other ones.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:27 am

Chesscub wrote:
Maybe he feels more relaxed when he's with the league and doesn't have to feel like he's got the whole world in his hands.

When is Johns going to add the others that were teased in the promotional pics? I'm more interested in them and Cyborg than the other ones.

:?

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:28 am

avengingtitan wrote: :?

Don't you have friends that bring out different sides of you? I tend to be more laid back with some friends than others.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:31 am

avengingtitan wrote:Is it just me or is Johns writing two different Hal Jordan's? I mean in JLA hes like a fucking child and in GL he's very capable and not really childish at all. You can say its that way in the first 6 issues because its at the start of his career, but now with issue 7 and the preview of issue 8 he's still very childish.

That was brought up briefly in this interview http://www.newsarama.com/comics/geoff-j ... -army.html
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:47 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:
That was brought up briefly in this interview http://www.newsarama.com/comics/geoff-j ... -army.html

First of all, Who the hell still goes to Newsarama?
Second, that seems like a convenient way to excuse his awful writing.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:56 am

Jesus. Aren't you just a fuckin' ray of sunshine ? I try and help you and you dig at me for where I found the info ? :lol:
-

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:03 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:Jesus. Aren't you just a fuckin' ray of sunshine ? I try and help you and you dig at me for where I found the info ? :lol:

Fuck sunshine. It acts all superior up there in the sky with its warmth. :smt011
:-D

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand