Advertisement

Northlanders #50 (The death of a culture? Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: Shitlord

Northlanders #50 (The death of a culture? Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:57 pm

The final issue of Northlanders is not just the ending to the Icelandic Trilogy, but it also seemed like Brian Wood summing up everything he thinks about Vikings, and why and how that culture died away. Here we see the last stand of the Haukssons, as it all pretty much falls apart. But it’s not just that they were defeated, but that there whole way of life was no longer valid, Iceland had changed, there was religion and politics now, not just a man taking for himself. Danijel Zezelj’s art was fantastic as usual, I loved his splash pages, the desolate backgrounds were perfect. I’m sad to see Northlanders come to an end, it’s been a strong series, albeit a little inconsistent, but it’s great that Wood managed to tell 50 issues of fairly realistic Viking stories. I know that we’ve got his run on Conan to tide us over in terms of sword-based action, but I’m sad that my monthly comics pile will be a little less diverse in terms of genre from now on.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand