Advertisement

Wolverine & The X-Men #9 (Give me a hug Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Wolverine & The X-Men #9 (Give me a hug Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:07 pm

This title reacts to AvX in it’s own inimitable way, with jokes. I loved the return of Planet Sin and the idea that people were betting on the next planet to be destroyed by the Phoenix, it was a very clever way to introduce the crossover whilst still remaining true to the title’s unique tone. I also liked how the book shone a light on more than just Wolverine’s reaction to the events of AvX, and on characters who in all likelihood won’t get the spotlight in the main story, such as Kid Gladiator. It makes sense that the Shi’Ar would play some role in this story, considering they were central to the original Phoenix arc, so it’s cool to see that play out. Of course Aaron also found time for some fun jokes like Broo’s desire to join the Nova Corps or Captain America only getting a B+ from the danger room, much to his chagrin. I also liked that the book didn’t forget about it’s subplots, the stuff here with Husk was very interesting, but I really hope she doesn’t fall in love with Toad, that would be gross.

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Re: Wolverine & The X-Men #9 (Give me a hug Spoilers)

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:22 pm

This will be THE outside book to pay attention to during AvX, IMO.

Avengers certainly isn't, and I felt I got more out of this than even AvX itself. Loved it. The Broo/Nova Corps scene was great, and Gladiator coming is going to be a blast.

Also.. I can't remember - does Evan know that he is Apocalypse? He seemed surprised when Kid Gladiator called him Kid Apocalypse.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Holland Oats wrote:Also.. I can't remember - does Evan know that he is Apocalypse? He seemed surprised when Kid Gladiator called him Kid Apocalypse.

I have been wondering that too. I mean, between this title and Uncanny X-Force, I don't believe that Evan knows that he is a clone of Apocalypse but one would think that he has to know that he has some sort of connection to him. Between who he is and his new friendship with Warren it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
ImageImageImage

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Sakie wrote:
I have been wondering that too. I mean, between this title and Uncanny X-Force, I don't believe that Evan knows that he is a clone of Apocalypse but one would think that he has to know that he has some sort of connection to him. Between who he is and his new friendship with Warren it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

why would he have to know?? in his mind he was raised by a family in Kansas and has no knowledge whatsoever of Apocalpyse...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Sitebreaker wrote:why would he have to know?? in his mind he was raised by a family in Kansas and has no knowledge whatsoever of Apocalpyse...

One would assume that since the Phoenix and the Nova Corps are part of the school's curriculum, so too would be Apocalypse. :smt102
ImageImageImage

MistaT
penile prisoner

Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:03 pm

When will find out where the Bamfs are from?! :smt017

Or did I miss it? :oops:

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:17 pm

MistaT wrote:When will find out where the Bamfs are from?! :smt017

Or did I miss it? :oops:

You didn't miss it...at least I think you didn't...

...and I hope soon because it bugs me that nobody is curious where the furry little critters who look like Nightcrawler, have similar powers, and are named "Bamfs" come from.
ImageImageImage

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Punchy wrote:I also liked that the book didn’t forget about it’s subplots, the stuff here with Husk was very interesting, but I really hope she doesn’t fall in love with Toad, that would be gross.

And yet, it would still be better than her romance with Angel. Holy Shit, that whole entire storyline was the definition of abortive misfire.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Sakie wrote:
You didn't miss it...at least I think you didn't...

...and I hope soon because it bugs me that nobody is curious where the furry little critters who look like Nightcrawler, have similar powers, and are named "Bamfs" come from.

They've kind of got more pressing matters to deal with.

But Bamfs are not new.

In Uncanny X-Men #153, Kitty Pryde tells a fairy tale to six-year old Illyana Rasputin, which includes a race of creatures called "Bamfs." Bamfs appear to be small versions of Nightcrawler, who even wear a costume identical to his classic costume. One of the Bamfs enters the story after catching sight of Pirate Kitty, on whom he developed an instant crush, when she and her entourage landed on Bamf Island. He subsequently joins her team and aids in taking down Princess Jean (the fairy tale equivalent of Jean Grey), aka Dark Phoenix.

Later, in the first Nightcrawler limited series in 1985, Nightcrawler is sent to another universe that is identical to Kitty's fairy tale, where he encounters the Bamfs, including the heroic Bamf from Kitty's tale. Nightcrawler discovers that female Bamfs differ from the males in that they are taller, resembling female versions of himself. The male Bamfs are lecherous, flirtatious and skirt-chasing, making them rather tiring company in the presence of attractive females.

Even before Kitty's fairy tale, plush versions of Nightcrawler, also called "Bamfs", had appeared in many issues of Uncanny X-Men. Kitty Pryde, Illyana Rasputin, Jubilation Lee and Amanda Sefton, among others, have been shown owning Bamf dolls.[volume & issue needed] In the series Exiles, a stuffed Bamf is seen in the bedroom of Nocturne, the child of Nightcrawler and the Scarlet Witch from another reality.[volume & issue needed]

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:15 pm

Aaron has hinted in interviews that they aren't the same bamfs we've seen before..

Johnny Smith
cheese

Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:25 pm

Sitebreaker wrote:Aaron has hinted in interviews that they aren't the same bamfs we've seen before..

They certainly don't look like the same bamfs! I like the look of the current ones better than the original versions.

I thought the Idie-Wolverine scene was a highlight of the book. Very well done.
ImageImage

Agent of the Bat
Outhouse World Champion

Liked in: 1 post
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Agent of the Bat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Sakie wrote:
One would assume that since the Phoenix and the Nova Corps are part of the school's curriculum, so too would be Apocalypse. :smt102

I am pretty sure that Fantomex and everyone else has purposely been keeping his true identity from Evan so that he is given the chance grow up and being something other than what everyone else assumes he is destined to be. Letting him know that he is a clone of Apocalypse would definitely fuck up his perspective I think.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:
They certainly don't look like the same bamfs! I like the look of the current ones better than the original versions.

I thought the Idie-Wolverine scene was a highlight of the book. Very well done.

it's the character moments like that, that make this book amazing.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand