Thursday, April 28, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Those who arrive survive. Maybe."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

The Official Outhouse ART Thread!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:46 pm

J.M. Hunter wrote:Image

I like the colors here. I do think that you should use some sort of straight-edge with regards to the background. It's not that the lines have to be perfect, but they all slope down to the right, which draws the eye that way.

The Method

Steroid User

Postby The Method » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:44 pm

JM, did you scan it crooked? I thiink that's why the lines seem to go down and to the right. I really love the colors. It's almost like staring at a dark Warhol. The face is rendered well and I like the multimedia use of graphite for shadows. Great so far.

J.M. Hunter

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby J.M. Hunter » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:56 pm

The Method wrote:JM, did you scan it crooked? I thiink that's why the lines seem to go down and to the right. I really love the colors. It's almost like staring at a dark Warhol. The face is rendered well and I like the multimedia use of graphite for shadows. Great so far.

Thanks! Yea I did scan it crooked. If i was gonna use a straight edge it probably should've been on the scanner to keep the damn thing even!

The lines descending on the right of the character's head are okay. Not everything in a painting should be neat, proper, or symmettical. Esp. when you consider how heave the light source is on the upper left of the character's head. To me the balance is fine as well as this is an ensemble piece. This is only one panel out of a series of potentially 5-10 pieces. Weight if there's an offness can be equally re-distributed once the other panels are connected to it.

Then again...I do love me some off-kilter art. There's character to it.

So on paintings?

fuck a straight edge!

On a scanner?

yea, thinks so.

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:02 pm

Ok, but when your background is distracting from foreground/character, you may want to think about it. You can paint without using a straight edge, therefore the lines won't be straight or perfect, but it may be useful in the planning/sketch stage.

J.M. Hunter

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby J.M. Hunter » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:09 pm

Doc Jon wrote:Ok, but when your background is distracting from foreground/character, you may want to think about it. You can paint without using a straight edge, therefore the lines won't be straight or perfect, but it may be useful in the planning/sketch stage.

I don't know Jon. So far you're the only one that thinks it's distracting. Granted the foreground character's face and jacket aren't done being painted. His face is all graphite.

But you're the only one's that said the background is distracting.

Which of course you're entitled to your opinion naturally.

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:10 pm

Ignore it then...

J.M. Hunter

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby J.M. Hunter » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:29 pm

:smt102
Doc Jon wrote:Ignore it then...

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:46 pm

Just realized that I haven't posted anything in a bit. Most of the stuff that I'm doing can't be shown, which sucks. Here's a part of a little story I was doing. It was a warm up for some of the other stuff I'm doing.

prozacman

Expert Post Whore

Postby prozacman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:12 am

Doc Jon wrote:Just realized that I haven't posted anything in a bit. Most of the stuff that I'm doing can't be shown, which sucks. Here's a part of a little story I was doing. It was a warm up for some of the other stuff I'm doing.

Sweet! :drunk

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:39 am

prozacman wrote:Sweet! :drunk

Thanks, bud.

Remember, we should work on something when you're up for it.

shannonh

Mad Hatter

Postby shannonh » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:26 am

Doc Jon wrote:Just realized that I haven't posted anything in a bit. Most of the stuff that I'm doing can't be shown, which sucks. Here's a part of a little story I was doing. It was a warm up for some of the other stuff I'm doing.

:shock:

I'm lovin' it, man. I have a CO superhero team that would look great in your style. I can tell you're a 90's kid like me. :D

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:29 am

shannonh wrote:

:shock:

I'm lovin' it, man. I have a CO superhero team that would look great in your style. I can tell you're a 90's kid like me. :D

Oh, I know your style well, and we are most definitely children of the 90's!

Don't forget to post some of your work from time to time. I know I love seeing it.

shannonh

Mad Hatter

Postby shannonh » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:40 am

Doc Jon wrote:
Oh, I know your style well, and we are most definitely children of the 90's!

Don't forget to post some of your work from time to time. I know I love seeing it.

Coming soon! Cant show anything I'm working on until it's published. But I am working on samples for the Con season. I think I'll do something X men this time. I have a lot of Marvel scripts to chose from. But no DC because I lost my contact when Bob Schreck was "laid off" in 2009. So I'll do the samples. I'll go blow a bunch of money at conventions in my general area. All just to get some DC contacts, and have them tell me "We need to know how you would draw our characters so here are some scripts to chose from" (That I can just throw away after I show them)....I hate trying to break into comics. :smt011

But anyway, Xmen coming soon.

spidertour02

rubber spoon

Postby spidertour02 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:09 pm

It's May Day, so I decided to draw ... Mayday. NYUK NYUK NYUK

shannonh

Mad Hatter

Postby shannonh » Mon May 07, 2012 9:40 am

leave a comment with facebook