Advertisement

Review Group Week 324 - THE GOON #39

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Review Group Week 324 - THE GOON #39

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed May 02, 2012 10:02 am

Idiots, we'd all be rich right now if you'd listened to me!

Advertisement

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed May 02, 2012 10:09 am

Victorian Squid wrote:Idiots, we'd all be rich right now if you'd listened to me!

Mind the Gap selling well?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed May 02, 2012 10:10 am

BlueMole wrote:
Mind the Gap selling well?

8)

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed May 02, 2012 10:13 am

Victorian Squid wrote:Idiots, we'd all be rich right now if you'd listened to me!

I think once the world discovers this Chimney Boy character and he becomes a phenomenon you're going to owe 9 anonymous voters an apology.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed May 02, 2012 10:33 am

amlah6 wrote:
I think once the world discovers this Chimney Boy character and he becomes a phenomenon you're going to owe 9 anonymous voters an apology.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Thu May 03, 2012 1:29 pm

A parody issue of the practices of the Big Two comic publishers Marvel and DC find the Goon
and Franky try their best to give their own title The Goon a facelift it needs to compete.

Let’s see we have a farce orgin of the Goon with with nodes to Superman and Thor.

Is there a Rule book of Superhero Code of Conduct which must be reference multiple times?
Check.

Slam against media attention about every little mundane news that is child feed by the Big-Two?
Check.

Is there a gag involving merchandising of characters and variant covers? Check and check.

Last but not least does the main character reveals himself as gay and repeatedly comes back from
the dead to round the whole issue off? * sigh * check and check.

Does Franky making smart ass remarks during each scene? Check, check and check.

Is Eric Powell trying too hard to make this farce a farce? Very much so. Do I think that is his
point of this farce? Yep. While this was a pause in the current tale of The Goon Powell does
quick one page gags breaking down all the faults of modern superhero comics, though there is no
reference to a cross-over or big event which is more of a telling tale of the mentality of the Big-
Two. The jokes were force and very funny but Powell does a fine job getting his point across for each gag.

I question if this book needed to be ever written? Powell is well known and respected in
the comic industry and no someone who over vocal of the big two unlike other independent
creations. He is taking a swipe that at the company which was very harmless and unnecessary
because in most cases in his gags he was preaching to the choir and to do this he interrupted his
own stories to tell this farce.

At the end of the day, I’ll have read the issue but walked away with the internet feeling of-- meh.
I look forward to Eric getting back to his creations of the Goon and Franky in their regularly
defined world.

5 / 10
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu May 03, 2012 1:33 pm

Score?

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Thu May 03, 2012 1:38 pm

amlah6 wrote:Score?

updated
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand