Advertisement

Review Group Week 325 - DIAL H #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Re: Review Group Week 325 - DIAL H #1

Postby BlueStreak » Fri May 04, 2012 12:46 pm

So yesterday was my six month anniversary of starting to read comics and I loved Dial H. But today when I reread it, I absolutely hated it.

This is what growing old feels like :(

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 144 posts

Postby doombug » Fri May 04, 2012 12:48 pm

BlueMole wrote:So yesterday was my six month anniversary of starting to read comics and I loved it. But today when I reread it, I absolutely hated it.

This is what growing old feels like :(

:lol:

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Fri May 04, 2012 2:14 pm

So what side am I on?
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri May 04, 2012 2:20 pm

It's no surprise who will like Dial H For Halfhearted.

Tyrants may change around here, but tastes rarely improve much. :lol:

bkthomson wrote:So what side am I on?

Probably about to make some feeble attempt at diplomacy. This is not that Review Group. :wink:

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Sat May 05, 2012 3:03 am

bkthomson wrote:So what side am I on?

Looks like it's either cuntrag or tenderfoot.

CHOOSE!

@dace1314
Whippersnapper

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Sacred Mantle

Postby @dace1314 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:37 am

Hellacious, hap-hazard, hackneyed, ham-fisted. "H" is for a lot of things. Unfortunately, those are the unhappy descriptors that come to mind after reading the first issue of "Dial H", a book that is part of the launch of the "second wave" of DC's New 52.

The premise is so absurd that it would make much more sense as satire, but this book is clearly trying to be serious, dark and gritty. Here's how absurd it is - an obese, down on his luck man who goes by the name Nelse finds himself in an old rotary style phone booth while his friend is getting gang beaten in a dark alley in front of him. He tries to call 911 but somehow instead ends up dialing 4376. Blame it on the chubby fingers. The phone booth glows brightly and within seconds Nelse busts out, fully transformed into a lanky freak named Boy Chimney who looks like a combination of the Red Skull and Jack Skellington. He proceeds to save his friend before changing back to himself. Later, ol' Nelse re-enters the phone booth and is this time bestowed the mighty powers of...Captain Lachrymose? A pathetic emo version of Superman who sports the same haircut as Gary Oldman in the Fifth Element and who's powers are derived from the deep sadness of those in his immediate vicinity? This must be a joke right? Well not intentionally.

The dialogue between characters isn't bad. The writing in general isn't bad. It's the characters and the situations that are unbelievably bad.

And that's a real shame too because Mateus Santolouco's pencils and inks are very nice to look at. He's got a strong sense of perspective and offers effective and varied page layouts with skill and swagger. There are a couple of collage type hallucinogenic ones that are a bit like Yanick Paquette's recent work in Swamp Thing and are pretty cool.

The choice of colors, however, is bland and dull. Sure, they are going for a dark and dreary atmosphere but it would have been nice to see more variety in the tones. The stale brownish yellow from Smokestack McQuack's magic exhaust hat seems to permeate every page, drifting through the whole book and tainting it with it's foulness. Mixing in some other nuances of color would've done much to enrich the pencil work, instead of poisoning it.

So with all things carefully balanced and weighed; this is a terrible comic book. DC and Marvel publish so much of this type of garbage so it must sell well enough to be worth it. But there's no way "Dial H" makes it passed the twelve issue mark. DC will let it bleed long enough to make two trades out of it before tying it off and amputating. In a word, "Dial H" is hopeless.

3 out of 10

(It should be mentioned that I've never read, and know nothing about the old series that this one is resurrecting, which no doubt contributes to my perspective on it.)

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sat May 05, 2012 7:51 am

A little late, but if your LCS is lame or you just happen to hate paper...

http://www.comixology.com/Dial-H-2012-1 ... /MAR120153

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 146 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:29 am

Yeah, this one jut didn't do it for me. Conceptually I love it. It's the reality that didn't win me over.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat May 05, 2012 12:51 pm

bkthomson wrote:I'm sorry. :oops:

Really, first time. I'll get better. :oops:

No worries, that was pretty good actually. :)

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat May 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Ntikrst wrote:Dial H for hackneyed.

Another lucky loser has been awarded ultimate power and he tries to do the right thing. His world is dirty and drab, his villains are thugs and after skimming through once, I have zero desire to read it again.

The art is passable, designs and locations are derivative and the palette is bland. This is a real color by numbers effort to play it safe with all the major feet of clay troupes we would expect from an old Spider-man comic.

Overall a complete waste of time, both the reader's and the creative staff. This kind of shite should never see the light of day. DC's editorial needs a reboot.

0/10.

A zero? Holy crap man, it wasn't great, but it was nowhere near that bad. :smt011

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat May 05, 2012 1:19 pm

This wasn't a great comic by any means, but it was also far, far from the worst thing I've ever read. Nelse and Darren aren't the most likable characters I've ever read, but that's not a necessarily bad thing when it comes to the question of whether I enjoyed something or not.

The story itself was alright, nothing spectacular, but strangely, I can't say I found it boring either. The writing does show potential, Boy Chimney's lines while fighting in the ally were fun to read I will admit. I agree that the main villain was kind of paint by numbers, but his "mother" suggests that there may be more to him. A potential does exist for something a little more interesting even there.

It wasn't a horrible comic, it wasn't a middle of the road five, and as I said, I wasn't great either. That makes it a 6 out of 10 in my book. There is enough there for me to want to see where things go.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 144 posts

Postby doombug » Sat May 05, 2012 1:25 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
A zero? Holy crap man, it wasn't great, but it was nowhere near that bad. :smt011

he's apparently from cbr's boards...should tell you something about him right off the bat. :lol:

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat May 05, 2012 1:28 pm

amlah6 wrote:I like it when people start calling each other names in a Review Group thread, feels like old times. 8)

You sir, are a jerk faced nincompoop.

What...

...you said you liked it when we called each other names. :smt102
:P :wink:

Postby ****** » Sat May 05, 2012 1:31 pm

Nincompoop is a great word, I use it irl quite often.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand