Advertisement

Action Comics #9 (Fight like molasses Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Action Comics #9 (Fight like molasses Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun May 06, 2012 2:14 pm

The concept of a ‘Barack Obama Superman’ was perhaps the only idea from the wretched Final Crisis event that I actually liked, so whilst I’m a bit annoyed that Morrison is taking yet another break from the main story, I’m glad that the break involves Obama Supes. Or Calvin Ellis as he’s actually called. This issue served as not only an origin story for Calvin Ellis (his origin is basically exactly the same as the ‘real’ Superman’s) but also as a springboard for the re-introduction of the Multiverse (along with this week’s Earth 2) and another one of Morrison’s metaphysical examinations of what Superman means and what he represents. The idea of the evil Superman that was travelling through the universes being an actual manifestation of society’s perception of what a Superman would be was a clever one, and it highlighted the malleability of the concept and also how it stands for something purer than whatever’s cool at the moment. I also thought this issue raised some interesting ideas about the nature of what it means to be an American and what is an ‘alien’. Morrison didn’t out-right criticise the ‘Birthers’, but you have to see an issue that features a black President who is literally an alien but is also a fricking awesome President as some kind of political commentary. Calvin Ellis is a really cool alternate take on Superman, and I’m very excited to see where this is leading to, will he team up with ‘our’ Superman? Will he show up in the long-awaited Multiversity? Gene Ha’s art was great, I’m so glad he’s back doing somewhat regular work for DC, he rocks.

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Action Comics #9 (Fight like molasses Spoilers)

Postby Juan Cena » Sun May 06, 2012 2:21 pm

Black Superman > New 52 Superman. Just sayin'.

And I assume both Supermen will team up. Morrison doesn't tend to throw stuff away that he actually spends time on fleshing out.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 481 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:30 am

Overall it was a really good issue. Strange how there was an Alternate-Clark who wasn't Superman, and his biggest role in this story was basically just burning :shock:

I also liked in the back-up story when Nubia totally calls out Calvin-Superman on his double-standards and what future implications may arise.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1086 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon May 07, 2012 12:31 pm

I liked SuperObama's version of the costume. Reminded me of the old Silver age Kryptonian suits. Little bit of classic Mon-El in a sense. It was also like seeing the old pre-Crisis Superman, except he's Obama.

Now, I kept telling you all... OBAMA IS FROM KRYPTON HENCE THE LACK OF BIRTH RECORD!!!! :-D

I think we'll be seeing an Intermultiverse League of Supermen before long from Morrison.

Other then that, what happened to the Japanese-American Flash? I liked him back in that old story.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon May 07, 2012 12:34 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:I liked SuperObama's version of the costume. Reminded me of the old Silver age Kryptonian suits. Little bit of classic Mon-El in a sense. It was also like seeing the old pre-Crisis Superman, except he's Obama.

Now, I kept telling you all... OBAMA IS FROM KRYPTON HENCE THE LACK OF BIRTH RECORD!!!! :-D

I think we'll be seeing an Intermultiverse League of Supermen before long from Morrison.

Other then that, what happened to the Japanese-American Flash? I liked him back in that old story.

I'm not going to be shocked if that happens.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1086 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon May 07, 2012 12:42 pm

The Nacireman wrote:
I'm not going to be shocked if that happens.

You can be so jaded. :P :wink:
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon May 07, 2012 12:53 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
You can be so jaded. :P :wink:

I'm not being jaded. I'm sure Morrison will be playing with the multiverse sooner or later with Superman.

- Sons of the Desert

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand