Advertisement

Age Of Apocalypse #3 (To waste Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Age Of Apocalypse #3 (To waste Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri May 04, 2012 12:57 pm

I feel like I’ve been remiss in previous months for not giving Roberto De La Torre the massive praise he deserves for his work on this title, because he really is kicking ass here, this book just looks perfect. Grimy and dark and just like a world gone to hell. Even if you don’t know anything about this particular alternate reality, this book is worth checking out for De La Torre alone. Luckily Dave Lapham’s writing is no slouch either as he continues to slowly build up the new status quo of this world and set up the major players. It was interesting to see which dead mutants were coming back, and I’m excited to see the conflict between the AoA versions of Cyclops and Havok play out. I also liked seeing some of the X-Terminated get a little bit more fleshed-out, in this book we’re actually more familiar with the villains than the heroes, so it was good to see Horror Show and Deadeye get some focus. And at the end… holy crap it’s the Hulk. I’m liking how this book isn’t just showing us alternate versions of X-characters, but also the likes of Daredevil and now Hulk.

Advertisement

Chris
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41431
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 86 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris


Re: Age Of Apocalypse #3 (To waste Spoilers)

Postby Chris » Fri May 04, 2012 3:11 pm

This has climbed into "best of Marvel" territory, which is reserved for Winter Soldier, X-Factor, and a few others right now.

I fucking love it. It's a slow burn, but it so good. I was not expecting to like these characters so much.

And I agree about De La Torre. This blows his shitty Daredevil stuff out of the water.
Image

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 8740
Likes: 718 posts
Liked in: 1261 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: Age Of Apocalypse #3 (To waste Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Fri May 04, 2012 3:26 pm

I really enjoy this book but this issue once again makes me wonder about the decision to depower Sabretooth and Jean. If you are going to bring back characters like Cyclops, Havok, and Dead Man Wade, then the X-Terminated need to have a couple of heavy hitters of their own.

Chris
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41431
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 86 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris


Re: Age Of Apocalypse #3 (To waste Spoilers)

Postby Chris » Sun May 06, 2012 11:55 pm

Sakie wrote:I really enjoy this book but this issue once again makes me wonder about the decision to depower Sabretooth and Jean. If you are going to bring back characters like Cyclops, Havok, and Dead Man Wade, then the X-Terminated need to have a couple of heavy hitters of their own.


That goes against the whole point of the book, in my opinion.

This isn't the X-Men. This is humanity fighting back. The roles are reversed. There's more story potential in a human Sabretooth and Jean, realizing they're going to have to learn to fight like these X-Terminated.. realizing that they've relied on their powers for far too long, and are really nothing special compared to the peak physical and fighting skills these regular humans have, against an entire world ready to obliterate them.
Image

doombug
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 13444
Likes: 647 posts
Liked in: 239 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:48 pm
Location: Holden, Ma


Re: Age Of Apocalypse #3 (To waste Spoilers)

Postby doombug » Mon May 07, 2012 3:37 am

Not Hulk, thing. Says it right in the book. :smt102
Image

Image

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Re: Age Of Apocalypse #3 (To waste Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Mon May 07, 2012 4:31 am

doombug wrote:Not Hulk, thing. Says it right in the book. :smt102


Yeah, but it's Bruce Banner, it's the Hulk.

avengingtitan
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 20014
Likes: 27 posts
Liked in: 370 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:26 am
Location: Hershey, PA


Re: Age Of Apocalypse #3 (To waste Spoilers)

Postby avengingtitan » Mon May 07, 2012 9:28 am

Punchy wrote:
Yeah, but it's Bruce Banner, it's the Hulk.

Nope. Its the AoA universe so he's the Thing.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Re: Age Of Apocalypse #3 (To waste Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Mon May 07, 2012 9:59 am

avengingtitan wrote:Nope. Its the AoA universe so he's the Thing.


Next you'll tell me that I shouldn't refer to Weapon Omega as Wolverine.

He's an alternate reality version of the Hulk, simple as.

God, you guys pick some stupid shit to complain about, this is really scraping the barrel.

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 8740
Likes: 718 posts
Liked in: 1261 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: Age Of Apocalypse #3 (To waste Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Mon May 07, 2012 11:35 am

Holland Oats wrote:That goes against the whole point of the book, in my opinion.

This isn't the X-Men. This is humanity fighting back. The roles are reversed. There's more story potential in a human Sabretooth and Jean, realizing they're going to have to learn to fight like these X-Terminated.. realizing that they've relied on their powers for far too long, and are really nothing special compared to the peak physical and fighting skills these regular humans have, against an entire world ready to obliterate them.


I get all of that, I really do. The problem is that while I really do enjoy this book, I don't like the fact that they depowered the AoA version of Sabretooth. I would have preferred that they left him alone because I absolutely hate stories that depower characters.

doombug
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 13444
Likes: 647 posts
Liked in: 239 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:48 pm
Location: Holden, Ma


Re: Age Of Apocalypse #3 (To waste Spoilers)

Postby doombug » Mon May 07, 2012 12:25 pm

Punchy wrote:
Next you'll tell me that I shouldn't refer to Weapon Omega as Wolverine.

He's an alternate reality version of the Hulk, simple as.

God, you guys pick some stupid shit to complain about, this is really scraping the barrel.

I'm not complaining, as you pointed out it's a different universe and he's a very different character. :smt102
Image

Image

Chris
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41431
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 86 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris


Re: Age Of Apocalypse #3 (To waste Spoilers)

Postby Chris » Mon May 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Sakie wrote:
I get all of that, I really do. The problem is that while I really do enjoy this book, I don't like the fact that they depowered the AoA version of Sabretooth. I would have preferred that they left him alone because I absolutely hate stories that depower characters.


:smt102

I'd rather read about depowered AoA Sabretooth, than not read about him at all aside from popping up twice in 17 years.

For me, as long as it's written well, they can do whatever they want with the characters. It's an alternate universe. It's pretty much all fair game.
Image

e_galston
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 19687
Likes: 396 posts
Liked in: 638 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:38 pm
Location: Frederick, MD
Formerly: Sitebreaker


Online


Re: Age Of Apocalypse #3 (To waste Spoilers)

Postby e_galston » Tue May 08, 2012 8:00 pm

Holland Oats wrote:
:smt102

I'd rather read about depowered AoA Sabretooth, than not read about him at all aside from popping up twice in 17 years.

For me, as long as it's written well, they can do whatever they want with the characters. It's an alternate universe. It's pretty much all fair game.


that's what makes alternate universes fun. no one is safe..
Image

leave a comment with facebook


Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], missabnormal, Yahoo [Bot] and 140 guests

Advertisement