So, after the failure of the Nu52, Warner Brothers realizes that they do not know how to manage their own characters. Like at all. So, they are going to to the next best thing and that is lease them out for other people to use. They would create a deal where the other company would pay to use the character and also get some royalties on the product. Pretty much what Sega is doing sorta for X-box and Nintendo, licensing out their stuff
Part of the deal is they are allowed to change the origin, the look, or whatever but they have to keep the essence of what the character was originally. Superman as the last son of krypton, for example. But that doesn't mean he lands in Earth as a baby, etc. Flashpoint is a good (or bad) example of this. The characters were the same, yet different... You know, elseword-ish. Then agin, you can completely keep the same look or whatever but have little tweaks to fit it into your new universe.
1. You are to take seven characters and given them to a new company with a known universe (ie: a company with two or more comics existing in the same world). It could be Marvel, Image, IDW, Darkhorse, etc etc etc. Oh, you don't have to use the same company for all of your pics. If you want to give two to Marvel, one to Topcow, another to Skybound, etc you can. Just list them by company.
2. Wildstorm and DC owned Vertigo characters are eligible, but not the creator owned characters like Fables.
3. One character has to be from an ongoing title, one character cannot be currently starring in a title at all, and finally you need to use one villain. And yes, you can take any version of the character be it pre or post crisis, an Elseworld version, etc. but a character can be used once.
So if you take Batman DKR version for Marvel, Batman is scraped from the table for all other companies.
Also, once you decide on the character, their history and supporting cast is wiped clean. Part of this task is for you to enter said character into the new universe with a clean slate. You create a new one using elements if that universe you put them in. Again, you can utilize aspects of their DCU history but obviously not everything.
4. Finally, after you write up the seven characters, you are going to take one non-character DC property and lease it out. This could be an object like the Rock of Ages, a race like The Krytonians, a concept like the Green Lanterns, or a place like the Phantom Zone, or anything ekse you can imagine Now, if you take a race like the Krytonians for example, you not get all the Krytonians characters like Supes or Zod, you just get the race and you can create new one from there. In your universe, Kryton could still be alive and well.
5. I want fun imaginative write ups. Tell e how they would fit, impact the new universe, plans for then, etc. a new supporting cast? Villains? Go nuts and have fun
If you have any questions on this, feel free to ask me.
The Prize for this:
The first Venom HC by Remender.
Saturday, June 30th at 11:59 pm
So I'm looking forward to reading pitches of the Unknown Soldier in IDWs GI Joe lol
Kidding. But that would be awesome.
Do it, Rockapella!