Advertisement

Grifter #9 (Vive la resistance Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Grifter #9 (Vive la resistance Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat May 12, 2012 2:34 pm

The dreaded Rob Liefeld takes over on Grifter and… it’s actually pretty good! It certainly helps that he’s got Frank Tieri doing the scripting here, who is a very underrated writer and a master at snappy tough-guy bluster. The plot here is simple and full of action, just like you’d expect from a Liefeld story, but it works because the pace is kept up and Tieri makes sure that Cole Cash never stops with the quips. Scott Clark’s art also plays a big part here, the pages of Grifter snowboarding were very cool. I also liked that this issue saw an escalation in the battle with the Daemonites, whereas Edmondson’s run took the invasion slowly, this issue explodes it, with a whole new type of nasties, and the revelation that Grifter is some kind of chosen one, which he of course laughs off. I’m excited to see where this war is going, and to see how other titles will connect with Grifter, we got a shot of Helspont from Superman in this issue for example. Also cool was the introduction of a few more Wildstorm characters into the DCU, chief among them Deathblow, who I don’t know much, but whenever I’ve read a comic with him in it… he’s been an unrepentant bad-ass.

Advertisement

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 36 posts

Re: Grifter #9 (Vive la resistance Spoilers)

Postby Lord Simian » Sat May 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Punchy wrote:The dreaded Rob Liefeld takes over on Grifter and… it’s actually pretty good! It certainly helps that he’s got Frank Tieri doing the scripting here, who is a very underrated writer and a master at snappy tough-guy bluster. The plot here is simple and full of action, just like you’d expect from a Liefeld story, but it works because the pace is kept up and Tieri makes sure that Cole Cash never stops with the quips. Scott Clark’s art oalso plays a big part here, the pages of Grifter snowboarding were very cool. I also liked that this issue saw an escalation in the battle with the Daemonites, whereas Edmondson’s run took the invasion slowly, this issue explodes it, with a whole new type of nasties, and the revelation that Grifter is some kind of chosen one, which he of course laughs off. I’m excited to see where this war is going, and to see how other titles will connect with Grifter, we got a shot of Helspont from Superman in this issue for example. Also cool was the introduction of a few more Wildstorm characters into the DCU, chief among them Deathblow, who I don’t know much, but whenever I’ve read a comic with him in it… he’s been an unrepentant bad-ass.

The original Deathblow series is one of my favorite things Wildstorm ever put out.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 19 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Re: Grifter #9 (Vive la resistance Spoilers)

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sun May 13, 2012 9:47 am

Lord Simian wrote:
The original Deathblow series is one of my favorite things Wildstorm ever put out.

The Batman/Deathblow crossover was so well done.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand