Advertisement

Invincible Iron Man #517 (Forget the pain Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Invincible Iron Man #517 (Forget the pain Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun May 20, 2012 8:03 am

I’m really enjoying how much is going on in this title at the moment, it’s bursting at the scenes with subplots, but it’s all tied together by the twin master-plans of Tony and Mandarin. At the moment, it looks like Mandy is on top, but you can’t count out Iron Man. He’s had the Iron Man tech removed from his body, but he’s planning on getting it back, and of course there’s the secret new Iron Man, with his cool black armour. It is Rhodey in that suit right? It looks like him, but we only got one panel. I suppose it’s no surprise that it would be him, but he’s been Iron Man before, I would probably have preferred someone new. I really liked the flashback scenes that paralleled Tony and Ezekiel Stane’s childhoods, I’m actually starting to feel sorry for Zeke, even though he’s a complete psycho. I also love the different art style Larroca uses for these flashbacks, very cool. Good to see that the crazy former Detroit Steel hasn’t been forgotten, although I suppose we did see his little head pop up in the background last issue. Spymaster was cool once again, he’s a very cool-looking villain, but I’m glad he was beaten, especially since it was from a surprising source, go Wyche! This book is moving slowly at the moment, but the endgame is very promising, I think this may very well go down as the best Iron Man epic ever if Fraction sticks the landing.

Advertisement

COBRA Command
cheese

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: It's all about me.
Formerly: a used-car salesman

Re: Invincible Iron Man #517 (Forget the pain Spoilers)

Postby COBRA Command » Sun May 20, 2012 11:45 am

Punchy wrote:I think this may very well go down as the best Iron Man epic ever if Fraction sticks the landing.

Ha. Not even close.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Sun May 20, 2012 2:15 pm

I love this book.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 116 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Sun May 20, 2012 4:17 pm

Punchy wrote:This book is moving slowly at the moment...

And has been since Fraction started writing it. :lol:

I still think World's Most Wanted and Stark Disassembled were awesome stories but that was about all I can enjoy from Fraction's Iron Man run. This arc seems to be FINALLY finishing up some long standing plot points and I love some of Fraction's ideas here. It just needs a stronger editor to keep the story moving and remove any extraneous dialogue that doesn't seem to relate to anything else and is only there because Fraction had an idea and then dropped it before the next panel begins. There were way too many moments here where someone says something completely unrelated to the conversation/scene and then no one even reacts to that dialogue. It made me feel that I was missing pages but it was usually a panel in the MIDDLE of the page.

Larroca is still doing a great job. Stark having Reed help him out was good. Rhodey's brand new, brand new armor was pretty spectacular, and Spymaster's story is finally getting concluded (but did he really uses Spy•Master as his password? REALLY?).

Like I said, this just needs a some stronger editor skills and it could be pretty good stuff. The concepts are all there. They just need a bit more Storytelling 101 (in the form of an editor doing his job or maybe a co-writer).

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand