Advertisement

Review Group Week 328 - BATMAN INCORPORATED vs YOUNGBLOOD

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Re: Review Group Week 328 - BATMAN INCORPORATED vs YOUNGBLOO

Postby bkthomson » Wed May 23, 2012 8:19 pm

Youngblood #71. Gawd, I read it once now I'll have to read it again just to make sure what I read. Review will come tomorrow.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Advertisement

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed May 23, 2012 8:21 pm

On another board, people are congratulating Grant Morrison for referencing the Trayvon Martin shooting via Robin's hoodie. :lol:

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Wed May 23, 2012 9:18 pm

BlueMole wrote:On another board, people are congratulating Grant Morrison for referencing the Trayvon Martin shooting via Robin's hoodie. :lol:

Holy Christ, people are fucking morons.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed May 23, 2012 11:36 pm

BlueMole wrote:On another board, people are congratulating Grant Morrison for referencing the Trayvon Martin shooting via Robin's hoodie. :lol:

He's always been very timely.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu May 24, 2012 2:38 am

Batman wasn't bad, felt a lot like an issue of good old Batman and Robin. Obviously I won't be touching Youngblood with a shitty pole, even if I was the seventh person to vote for it :D

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu May 24, 2012 2:43 am

Youngblood has maybe the ugliest art I have ever seen in a book. The artists have ripped off Gil Kane poses in parts (and there's an okay homage to Gil Kane and the X-Men in the book). But the line work is terrible and the anatomy is amateurish. The backgrounds, lacking shadows, are very two-dimensional looking and often cluttered with unnecessary cross hatching. Visually, this book is a mess. There is no flow, no sense of storytelling.

The story itself is not as bad as the art. But that's hardly a compliment. Most of the time, the book seems to be laughing at how horrible Image comics were in the '90s. And I guess that would be fine, if it were done well. But the lines about women characters posing as if they were Penthouse models simply draw attention to all the visual flaws in the book. What's more, the dialogue in this book is really corny and stilted and makes the transition from scene to scene extremely jarring. "Let's save the day," one character says as the team races into action. Even if it's meant in an ironic, hipster kind of way, that line is still horrible.

I guess the character introductions are handled efficiently. But really, the Youngbloods aren't characters. They are like the X-Men or the Avengers, only with really ugly outfits and really, really stupid names.

This book, overall, is a complete embarrassment. It should never have been printed.

1/10

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 132 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu May 24, 2012 4:40 am

Zero wrote:Batman wasn't bad, felt a lot like an issue of good old Batman and Robin. Obviously I won't be touching Youngblood with a shitty pole, even if I was the seventh person to vote for it :D

Eli was the actual 7th person to vote for it and tie it up.

But yes, Batman felt like a re-tread of many of the elements in B&R to a disappointing degree.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu May 24, 2012 1:35 pm

Not surprisingly, Youngblood also has a not-so-fresh feeling.

Two stale-ass comic books.

Mind MGMT is awesome, though.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu May 24, 2012 1:42 pm

McDarkseid wrote:Not surprisingly, Youngblood also has a not-so-fresh feeling.

Two stale-ass comic books.

Mind MGMT is awesome, though.

Agree on Mind MGMT, best thing I read this week.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu May 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Zero wrote:
Agree on Mind MGMT, best thing I read this week.

Despite some surface similarities to Lost, the story was very original and the art was fantastic! But the two page story at the end was what really hit me like a ton of bricks, for a couple reasons.

Let's hijack this thread!

Or I could just detail all the other typos in Youngblood, fucking hell I can't believe they published that. :smt011

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Thu May 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Holy Shit, Youngblood was fucking terrible. It was literally the antithesis of what a good comic should be.

On the other hand, Batman Inc. was the most exciting Bat Book I've read since Detective #881. It wasn't perfect, but it was a damn good read.

Reviews coming this weekend.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu May 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Youngblood:

Short story - Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.....this was crap.

Long story - Where to begin.....the plot is as dull as 17th century axe. The heroes fall into two categories: serious or sex-crazed. There's one that kinda fits in with both categories, but the characters as a whole are unlikable. The art team of Jon Malin and Rob Liefeld doesn't produce anything worth of praise. It's just not pleasant to the eyes.

It's a comic that's full of crap and deserves to be avoided.

3* out of 10*

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Thu May 24, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm giving YB an 1100 just to balance out the bias and hate. The anatomically challenged are comics characters too! :smt013

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu May 24, 2012 7:20 pm

Batman Incorportated #1 VS Youngblood #1

BI #1 feels like the same premise that started off Morrison's run on Batman & Robin. Begins with a flash-forward to someone a crucial character supposedly being killed, then backtracks to fill in those blanks while introducing a new and fairly uninteresting animal-themed psycho-killer. Qu'est-ce que c'est? I honestly can't decide if this is another example of a modern comic book writer obsessed with symmetrical narrative themes, like the way Hickman book-ended his giant FF arc with identical scenes, or if it's just a re-tread of Morrison's greatest hits. Either way, it feels like the reader is being asked to fall for the same trick twice. And since Batman's league of Batmen or whatever they are are shown in this issue bragging about the ways they faked their own deaths to operate in secret, it's a far stretch of credibility anyway to think that anything else is going on with Damien. Plus there is no way Batman let the goatboy turn and give him that shot to the face, let alone the shot at Damien. :lol:

The scenes with the Crypt Keeper in the white hoodie are pretty silly, but thanks to the art team for puttting some damn color in the comic book (of course later when it's collected they'll probably digitally take it all out--see Flex Mentallo).

+1 for Damien becoming a vegetarian, and Bat Cow too.

VERSUS

Youngblood #1 re-covers old ground as well, in this case the shit-soaked soil that was exclusive territory of Image Comics.in the 1990s, a dark time for stapled pamphlets across the kingdom indeed. Which is ripe for satire, but Image went with an homage instead. I paid less than 5 cents a book for my '90s Image Comics when I tried to read them, and it was still too much. Why Image would go back to charging their readers actual money for this shit, I have no idea.

-1 for letting "words and all" instead of "warts and all" see print--ERIC STEPHENSON, EDITOR!

Oh wells, that makes it

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 1176 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu May 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Wasn't shaft a redhead?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand