Advertisement

Fantastic Four #606 (A very large object Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Fantastic Four #606 (A very large object Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri May 25, 2012 1:40 pm

Another very strong issue from Hickman, these recent standalones in both this title and FF have really been great, I can’t be the only one thinking that Hickman should have focussed on stories like this instead of his big mega-arc? The concept of this story was very simple, but effective. You’re led to believe that the FF are on a mission on some mysterious planet, until the pull back and reveal that they were actually doing a ‘Fantastic Voyage’ inside of Willy Lumpkin and saving him from cancer. It worked really well (although the cover did kind of spoil it) and was a practically perfect mix of the crazy science and human connections and love that make up the Fantastic Four. Yes, they have mad adventures, but the FF are still all about their friends and family, and even a Mailman counts as part of that. Ron Garney’s art was excellent again, it’s a shame he’s not sticking around, but Camuncoli is a favourite of mine, and it’s going to cool to see the Black Panther back in King-Mode.

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 408 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Fantastic Four #606 (A very large object Spoilers)

Postby Amoebas » Fri May 25, 2012 3:24 pm

It never once occurred to me that this was some mysterious planet. Everything instantly said Fantastic Voyage to me.

But I'll agree with you that Hickman should of done more stuff like this sooner. It's almost like this was the first issue that featured the Fantastic FOUR.

So while this was a better issue, the plot has been a hundred times (and better) elsewhere. It also stinks that the while the Fantastic Four have found a cure for cancer - it only applies to people they know. That's the dangerous thing with these kinds of stories. Sure, Willy is all okay now but what about all the thousands and thousands of cancer patients out there? "Sorry, we'll save this old feeble retired mailman but the rest of you - sod off."

I like Lumpkin, but better he died, than to have a workable cure for cancer that will never be used again.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri May 25, 2012 3:26 pm

Once again, the science fascists only use their superior technology sparingly, without regard to sharing it with the rest of the world desperate to cure disease. :smt011

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 184 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Fri May 25, 2012 3:28 pm

Amoebas wrote:It never once occurred to me that this was some mysterious planet. Everything instantly said Fantastic Voyage to me.

But I'll agree with you that Hickman should of done more stuff like this sooner. It's almost like this was the first issue that featured the Fantastic FOUR.

So while this was a better issue, the plot has been a hundred times (and better) elsewhere. It also stinks that the while the Fantastic Four have found a cure for cancer - it only applies to people they know. That's the dangerous thing with these kinds of stories. Sure, Willy is all okay now but what about all the thousands and thousands of cancer patients out there? "Sorry, we'll save this old feeble retired mailman but the rest of you - sod off."

I like Lumpkin, but better he died, than to have a workable cure for cancer that will never be used again.

Nah. Dr. Strange The Oath worked the same type of concept and it was a great mini.

This was the weakest of the standalones, by far.

I think the only major character that Hickman hasn't touched in his run has been the Surfer, it'll be interesting to see if he pops up before the end.

Hab

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 576 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri May 25, 2012 4:59 pm

Amoebas wrote:It never once occurred to me that this was some mysterious planet. Everything instantly said Fantastic Voyage to me.

What if Lumpkin turns into a Tetsuo-like creature down the line?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 138 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri May 25, 2012 5:01 pm

You're assuming, of course, that the cure for cancer is something Reed has had in the back of his pocket for a long time.

Or that the cost of such an operation is cheap enough to be duplicated all over the "real" (Marvel) world.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri May 25, 2012 5:01 pm

McDarkseid wrote:Once again, the science fascists only use their superior technology sparingly, without regard to sharing it with the rest of the world desperate to cure disease. :smt011

Where's Elijah Snow when you really need him?

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 173 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:11 pm

truth. the only "mystery" about this issue to me was whose body they were in. everything else was obvious.

and i agree with this as well. i actually liked the issue, but i totally agree with your point about these being dangerous/bad idea issues...9 times out of 10 they take me so far out of any ability to suspend disbelief that i can't enjoy them. this one just happened to overcome that (Ben's line at the end about "miracles...who does she think she's talking to?" had a lot to do with that). not my favorite issue, but i liked it ok.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 368 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun May 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Did they credit Hank McCoy for this pioneering this procedure ? :P

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 408 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun May 27, 2012 6:08 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Did they credit Hank McCoy for this pioneering this procedure ? :P

I love that issue where the Vision's has a Fantastic Voyage inside Yellow Jacket's Innerspace...

But don't forget...
Antman's Fantastic Voyage inside the Vision...

Antman II's Fantastic Voyage inside Iron Man's Innerspace...

Atom's Fantastic Voyage inside Batman's Innserspace...

Atom's Fantastic Voyage inside some Gothan Cop's Innerpsace...

Captain Atom's Fantastic Voyage inside Mike Choi's Innerspace from a half year ago...

X-Men's Fantastic Voyage inside Kitty Pryde's Innerspace (from just a couple months ago)...

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun May 27, 2012 10:39 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Did they credit Hank McCoy for this pioneering this procedure ? :P

Since we're on the subject, remember the Superfriends episode where Aquaman turned into a shark creature, and to change him back, a miniaturized Superman and Wonder Woman had to fly the Supermobile into his brain to change him back?

- Sons of the Desert

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand