Advertisement

Batman Annual - Mr Freeze's new origin

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Batman Annual - Mr Freeze's new origin

Postby Zero » Wed May 30, 2012 3:24 pm

Ok so with the first new appearance of Victor Fries comes his new origin, and it's different. Not massively, but in a few key areas.

His powers seem a little different, I'm not sure his touch ever burnt with cold before did it? Eh, either way I don't really care.

**** Proper Spoilers after this bit ****

He killed his mother. She fell in the ice when out walking with him once and came out brain damaged and wheelchair bound. Seems he didn't like this so he ended up pushing her back into the ice the next year.

Big one then: Nora's not his wife. Instead she's the first ever person to be cryogenically frozen, and he fell in love with her while she was in the tube. They've never even met.

So what does this mean? Well he's less sympathetic, and more of a crazy bastard for one which I'm not sure I like but I can understand. It makes him more of a threat and gives Batman one less Arkham inmate to be on friendly terms with rather than punching.

Advertisement

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Re: Batman Annual - Mr Freeze's new origin

Postby Dragavon » Wed May 30, 2012 3:27 pm

Zero wrote:He killed his mother. She fell in the ice when out walking with him once and came out brain damaged and wheelchair bound. Seems he didn't like this so he ended up pushing her back into the ice the next year.

Or that's the story he told the shrink. Could be she had an accident that had nothing to do with ice and when she came out brain damaged because of that, Victor killed her by dumping her in the ice.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:15 pm

That cold-hearted bastard :P
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 72 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed May 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Oh, I liked this. I liked that a lot.

Holy crap, was that a good annual, and was that art ever AMAZING.

Where's Punchy? He wanted a positive thread, and I'm ready to gush over this book!

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 881 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Wed May 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Damn. I had a little sympathy for him before.

Oh well.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1190 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed May 30, 2012 5:15 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Oh, I liked this. I liked that a lot.

Holy crap, was that a good annual, and was that art ever AMAZING.

Where's Punchy? He wanted a positive thread, and I'm ready to gush over this book!

My guess... pub's open.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Wed May 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Not sure I like this idea.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed May 30, 2012 7:30 pm

Great issue but wasn't this supposed to be the last issue of Night of the owls? What the hell?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:39 am

Dragavon wrote:Or that's the story he told the shrink. Could be she had an accident that had nothing to do with ice and when she came out brain damaged because of that, Victor killed her by dumping her in the ice.

Or both. When he pushes her in it seemed like a mercy killing based on what he said. Maybe he wanted the ice to finish the job or he felt that was a "proper ending".

As far as the "burning ice" line mentioned above, I just assume that sub-zero temperatures do give flesh a burning sensation, right ?

And yeah, points for the art and coloring in this issue :smt023
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:56 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:As far as the "burning ice" line mentioned above, I just assume that sub-zero temperatures do give flesh a burning sensation, right ?

Yeah usually, but I didn't know Freeze's skin was ever that cold before.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:05 am

When I looked at the cover of this issue, my reaction was ‘What the hell? Why does a Mister Freeze origin story have a Night Of The Owls banner slapped on it? It makes no sense!’. But thankfully, I was wrong, Scott Snyder and co-writer James Tynion IV managed to write a story that did both, and they did it in style. First off, the connection between Mister Freeze and the Owls is explained well, and makes sense, he is the one who gave them the means with which to resurrect the Talons. I really like that Snyder has given his new villains a connection with a more traditional Bat-baddy, it connects them a lot more to the world of Batman and makes the retconning less egregious. Speaking of retcons, this issue marks a pretty big change in the origin of Mister Freeze, but on that I think really works. Much of Freeze’s story is the same, but Snyder and Tynion make one important change, Nora is not Victor Fries’ wife, he’s just crazy and thinks she is. Yes, this does make him less sympathetic, but I’ve never been one for sympathizing with villains, and the crazier a Bat-villain is, the better. Jason Fabok’s art impressed me here, reminding me of a cross between David Finch and Shane Davis, good stuff, and he got to draw a lot of iconic Bat-characters, not just the main guy and Freeze, but also Nightwing, Robin and the Penguin, which was cool. Hah, get it, cool, I’m so funny.

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 43 posts

Postby David Bird » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:28 am

I liked it. I did wonder what Dini is going to make of the re-write of the Nora story, though.

As for the mother story, the way I read it was the first version is what he tells people and the second is what happened.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:26 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Great issue but wasn't this supposed to be the last issue of Night of the owls? What the hell?

No, they just said it continued here. I think it concludes in Batman #10 (June 13).

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:31 pm

David Bird wrote:I liked it. I did wonder what Dini is going to make of the re-write of the Nora story, though.

As for the mother story, the way I read it was the first version is what he tells people and the second is what happened.

agreed.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:39 pm

The framing sequence with his mother were two different occasions, her fall in the ice at the beginning is what disabled her at the end.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand