Advertisement

Review Group Week 329 - STAR TREK/DOCTOR WHO: ASSIMILATION

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Review Group Week 329 - STAR TREK/DOCTOR WHO: ASSIMILATI

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:23 am

Star Trek TNG/Doctor Who Assimilation2 #1--that is the title, right?

I've watched countless hours of various incarnations of both TV shows over the years, and sampled some of the comics stories on rare occasions and the comics stories are usually underwhelming, so my expectations going into reading the issue are somewhat mitigated by that experience. I would say that the TV shows always by nature offered the better entertainment value if one had to make the unfair comparison, but with STTNG in the equation that probably just isn't true.

There was barely a panel of actual STTNG, though, if you discount all the Feds running around like chickens in the opening scene, and you don't hear me complaining. Although STTNG has regrettably haunted both cable television and the comics convention circuit here in the US for decades, despite a surge in popularity and accessibility the last few years Doctor Who is still the lesser-known of the two shows here, and so this issue serves as sort of a hit-the-ground-running intro to the time lord whether one needs it or not.

(Speaking of conventions and Who, although Who-related convention appearances locally are quite rare, there was one magical Who convention many years ago at a Ramada Inn here in town where this reviewer was both able to purchase real Jelly Babies for the first time (!), and also was hit on in a slightly disturbing boozy Mrs Robinson way by one of the earlier Doctor's companions drinking vodka from a styrofoam cup. Back then it took about 10 years or so for episodes to make it to the states and PBS tended to re-air the same seasons they'd paid for the rights to over and over again, so I was struck by how much older she was at the time than I expected, and also by how much make-up she wore.)

Anyway, what was I...? Oh yeah. I liked the watercolor and gouache technique, although I agree with the reviewer who said some panels were just a little fuzzy. There's no way an artist is going to draw Matt Smith (or any of the rest for that matter) without relying heavily on photo references, but I thought the artist handled them deftly.

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 373 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:42 am

Mediocre art with barely any Star Trek in it and a trip to ancient Egypt that has no bearing on the story this series is supposed to have.

Loved it.

But then I'm a Who fan and Doctor 11 is quite authentic within. While I do wish they spent more time the Cybermen/Borg team up, I'm certain we'll have much more soon. I do hope that the Cybermen end being more than just the tools they appear to be here.

As for the Doctor, Amy & Rory being on a holodeck, I'd think the Doctor would have noticed as he walked around San Fran before going into the bar (but the garb Data and Crusher are wearing is spot on) Was Riker ever in a Dixon Hill adventure (that we saw)?

@dace1314
Whippersnapper

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Sacred Mantle

Postby @dace1314 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:40 am

I was out of town for a while and missed last weeks review. Truthfully, I really wasn't much interested in either of those books so I reviewed MIND MGNT #1 instead. Not sure if this still counts towards my review number or not but here it is nonetheless.

Story, Art & Cover - Matt Kindt
Alternate Cover - Gilbert Hernandez
Publisher - Dark Horse Comics
Price - $3.99

Matt Kindt is creating a special comic book. After reading the first issue you'll have experienced something genuinely original; a work that has been crafted with so much thought and care that it easily stands out from most if not all of the other monthly titles that are coming out these days.

As is usually the case with comics created by a single person doing both the writing and the art, everything feels a little tighter. There is more of a cohesion between these roles where the singular vision of the creator can be fully realized. You will be immersed in his pages which overflow with interesting content, depth of story and gorgeous artwork. There are unique and fun plot mechanics which contribute to the overall narrative of special agents with powerful mind control abilities. One of these is a mock advertisement on the back page that is coded as the first part of a secret message, one which will be fully revealed when the first six issues have been laid out side by side. There are no actual ads whatsoever to break the flow of the book, which is why it costs a little more.

The artwork is nothing like what you find in the majority of mainstream comics these days. It is, however, very similar to the work of Jeff Lemire (Sweet Tooth, Essex County), with its use of water color and relaxed pencils and inks. Kindt isn't concerned with the clean and realistic approach. He settles in with a more daring, looser style which is richly emotive and brings with it a fluidity that is soft on the eyes and a pleasure to look at.

Kindt has delivered a first issue packed with tons of promise, and it's going to be exciting to see if he's able to deliver on that promise in the months to come. At the back of the book he has a message to the readers which almost feels like Babe Ruth pointing to the fences and calling his shot. Here's hoping he crushes it out of park.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:59 am

Well, you get points with me. :)

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:17 am

No points for reviewing a different comic, bu thanks for sharing.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:31 am

Licensed comics can be hit or miss, usually with an emphasis on the miss. This issue falls somewhere in the middle. The characterization of the Doctor and his companions is pretty good and as a quick adventure/introduction the issue serves it's purpose. By not introducing the TNG cast until the last page however it's a bit of a letdown to not have any interaction between them and the Doctor, but the Cyberman hitting the "resistance is futile" line made up for it a little. I liked the art, the painted style was a nice choice for something that may appeal to an audience that isn't necessarily a hits the shop every Wednesday type of reader. 7 seems like a pretty fair score so I'll go with that.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:29 pm

Star Trek/Doctor Who: Assimilation 2 #1
Written by Scott & David Tipton with Tony Lee
Art by JK Woodward

When it was announced months ago by IDW that the Time Lord Doctor Who would meet up with the Crew of Star Trek: The Next Generation Enterprise I was very excited. I’ve been a long time Star Trek fan from television and have only recently discovered Doctor Who on Blu Ray and from IDW. What intrigues me was the jovial nature of the Doctor to Picard’s serious nature clashing over what threat they are facing.

With the first issue in hand I hungrily read through it only coming to the end feeling disappointed. My main problem was the issue was very unbalanced the first seven pages were devoted to the Next Generation elements but not of the Enterprise crew, only some generic Starfleet officers who are witnessing a planetary attack by the Borg and their attempts to flee. The remaining 15 pages is devoted to a mad-cap little adventure of the good Doctor and his companions in ancient Egypt. Those pages with the doctor does a adequate job introducing the Doctor but it is a tad too long and feels like a lot of wasted time. Those still fun, do not get me wrong, but I wanted to see more of the Next Generation crew. Oh, the Next Generation crew does appear, in the last page as a splash of Riker, Crusher and Data on the Holodeck. Unbalanced. I felt that this issue should have been broken up into thirds, yes, Borg attack is important, but so is introducing both the Doctor and the Next Generation in such a way that as a new readers can grasp who are the core participants and I just do not feel that the first issue was structured in such a way it did its job.

Scott and David Tipton, regular writers on various IDW Star Trek series along with Tony Lee, current IDW Doctor Who ongoing, does a very good job with this issue. The serious threat of the Borg is laid out clearly, and the madcap adventures of the Doctor, Amy and Rory was jovially played out with wonderful enthusiasm. Without question I think the writing team has to chops to tell this epic tale of these science fiction icons.

J.K Woodward brings his painted style from the streets of IDW Fallen Angel to the cosmos of Star Trek to ancient Egypt with beautiful flourish. The half page shot of Starfleet shuttles fleeing the Borg gives me great hopes for some spectacular space battles in future issues. His renditions of the Doctor, Amy and Rory are spot on does not feel out of place or too perfect with everything else on panel. As I mentioned a portion of the Next Generation Crew only appears on one page but in profile so I felt I could not gauge if Woodward was able to match his output on them as he did with the Doctor.

When the second issue comes out and I see that more focus is on the Next Generation Crew than the Doctor I may feel a little differently though not likely. At the end of the day with one issue on the stands I may find this little quibble to be a minor point as the main story is unfolded and see it as reading this title in trade may make the structure and introductions less jarring. Without question I will be back for the second issue.

8/10
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand