Advertisement

Trick or Comics!

Do you have a comic or other project you want to promote? Feel free to post about it here, but don't just post and run. Sticking around and joining in other discussions is the best way to get Outhousers interested in your work. These topics will also show up in The News Stand and The Asylum, for maximum exposure.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

fermiparadox
Fish-Smackin' Knight

Liked in: 0 post

Trick or Comics!

Postby fermiparadox » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:15 pm

What's awesome? Comics.
What's more awesome? Giving comics out for Halloween.

Hey everyone!

My name is Lilia Smith, and a diverse Seattle-based group of writers and artists including myself are working on this Kickstarter that is about giving away comics for Halloween! These comics are going to be fun, scary, and just a treat to read in general. Some will be in more of an EC style, some will be more horror inspired, and some will be based off ridiculous encounters that we've had!

Every little bit helps, even that one dollar that's sitting in your car's ash tray.

So check it out and help us out!

Visit the Kickstarter link in my signature for more information and examples!

It's going to be super awesome and we can't do this without your help!

Advertisement

fermiparadox
Fish-Smackin' Knight

Re: Trick or Comics!

Postby fermiparadox » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Come on guys! It's a really neat concept. This will also expose a lot of people to the wonderful world of comics!
Help us out please! Word of mouth is also a super cool way of helping out.

Wisdom000
rubber spoon

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby Wisdom000 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:33 pm

fermiparadox wrote:What's awesome? Comics.
What's more awesome? Giving comics out for Halloween.

Hey everyone!

My name is Lilia Smith, and a diverse Seattle-based group of writers and artists including myself are working on this Kickstarter that is about giving away comics for Halloween! These comics are going to be fun, scary, and just a treat to read in general. Some will be in more of an EC style, some will be more horror inspired, and some will be based off ridiculous encounters that we've had!

Every little bit helps, even that one dollar that's sitting in your car's ash tray.

So check it out and help us out!

Visit the Kickstarter link in my signature for more information and examples!

It's going to be super awesome and we can't do this without your help!

I give out comics instead of candy every halloween... why do you need money for this?
Anti-Organized Religion, Pro-Choice, Pro-Gun Rights with limits, Pro-Legalization of Drugs-Prostitution-Assisted Suicide, Pro-Gay Marriage,

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:37 pm

Wisdom000 wrote:
I give out comics instead of candy every halloween... why do you need money for this?

They're only trying to raise ten grand though.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Doc Spider

Postby Doc Jon » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Wisdom000 wrote:

I think the idea was to PRODUCE comics to be given away, not just give away comics that are on hand that you no longer want. Kind of a big difference.

HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:03 pm

A ten thousand dollar difference in this case, in fact.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:19 pm

McDarkseid wrote:A ten thousand dollar difference in this case, in fact.

Printing ain't cheap.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Doc Jon wrote:
Printing ain't cheap.

That's kind of the point--as a Kickstarter campaign, this leaves a lot to the imagination. In fact, other than the OP it says "a small group of writers and artists" will be getting paid if it meets its goal to make the comics and produce a hypothetical website. There's no actual data on who those people are or how many of them are going to be paid, how much they will be paid, nor is there a single breakdown of printing or shipping costs, or the cost to produce the website, or any estimate of how many minocomics will be printed to begin with, as opposed to making stickers with a code to link to as-yet non-existent web content.

That's a pretty vague campaign by a group of people who present no information on who they are or any track record of what they have produced before other than a small handful of promo images with, again, no one credited and with a disclaimer following those images that they may or may not actually be the artwork in the finished product. It's very poorly thought out and presented.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:27 pm

Not to mention one of them is a Nigerian prince...

fermiparadox
Fish-Smackin' Knight

Postby fermiparadox » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:02 pm

Alright, I apologize for the delay on replying since I've been going around trying to get the word out.

Printing can be very expensive, but printing on demand has a decent cost and most of the money involved is for covering the various ways we want to print for this project. However, we're also wanting to offer a decent pagerate to the artists and writers involved.

I added the artists that you have asked for to the kickstater FAQ, feel free to contact them for legitimacy. I would have linked them here but I have yet to make ten posts. I can also send you the list of their links in a PM if you want.

I don't consider myself much of an artist at the moment, but I do colors and writing!

I hope that helps answer some questions. Feel free to ask more!
Also thanks for raising these questions, I'll add some of these to the FAQ of the Kickstarter.

shannonh
Mad Hatter

Postby shannonh » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:55 pm

Wisdom000 wrote:

....I hope they are atleast "family friendly" comics....Just sayin'.

Should I choose to give the brats a $4 comic or .53 cents worth of candy?...Hmmm......40 brats....$160 for comics.....$2.12 worth candy....I know which way I choose lol. You are helping prevent tooth decay, though. I could start handing out these Watch Tower mags that keep collecting on my doorstep...Freakin' Jehovah's Witnesses! :smt013

fermiparadox
Fish-Smackin' Knight

Postby fermiparadox » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Well some of ours are family friendly, and some 10+.

I completely understand your decision too on giving them the more inexpensive option, however our comics aren't expensive at all. Depending on the pledge amount, the incentives can include QR coded stickers that you can attach to candy which will take the trick-or-treater to our website with the specific comic related to the sticker! Then they and whoever can read the comic as much as they want for free! Plus you'll be getting a lot of physical neat stuff with that you can keep or give away!
So you're really only preventing as much tooth decay as you actually want hahaha.

And Hey! It's always fun exposing kids to the wonderful world of religious propaganda while doing some house cleaning hahaha.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 283 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:54 pm

fermiparadox wrote:Well some of ours are family friendly, and some 10+.

I completely understand your decision too on giving them the more inexpensive option, however our comics aren't expensive at all. Depending on the pledge amount, the incentives can include QR coded stickers that you can attach to candy which will take the trick-or-treater to our website with the specific comic related to the sticker! Then they and whoever can read the comic as much as they want for free! Plus you'll be getting a lot of physical neat stuff with that you can keep or give away!
So you're really only preventing as much tooth decay as you actually want hahaha.

And Hey! It's always fun exposing kids to the wonderful world of religious propaganda while doing some house cleaning hahaha.

Perhaps this is the "not quite yet a dad" in me speaking, but... How many 8 year olds, presented with candy, will whip out their QR code readers to scan their snickers? :smt017

fermiparadox
Fish-Smackin' Knight

Postby fermiparadox » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:20 pm

Well honestly in this day and age, it's not unlikely that the child will see the QR code while ripping through candy and will ask their parents to scan it. That and the adult might see the QR code and be intrigued.
I've also honestly seen children a good ten years younger than me that have a better handle over smart phones and QR codes than some adults.
Like I said though, in this technology era, it isn't unlikely.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Creator's Corner