Advertisement

DC Announce Four New Titles, Zero Issues

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:01 am

DC Announce Four New Titles, Zero IssuesZero issues and new books.  Must be time for SDCC.

Fickle as ever, DC today once again span the bottle marked 'exclusive,' before hiding under the comforter with the Associated Press for a few minutes.  When the pair emerged, the AP didn't just have cold sores, but also confirmation of the long-rumoured zero issue event coming this September to mark the first anniversary of the DCnU.

As well as these stand-alone issues, September will also see the launch of the third wave of 'New 52' books, with four new titles joining the fray.  Those titles are:

• Talon - spinning off from Batman's Court of Owls storyline, and written by Scott Snyder.
  • Sword and Sorcery - featuring the return of Amethyst.
  • Team Seven - featuring a team of potential Superman-busters, such as Steve Trevor, Amanda Waller, Cole Cash, Dinah Lance and (according to the AP at least) Wade Wilson (though we suspect there may be some confusion there, probably on account of all the sexual tension of the spin-the-bottle game.  What a dirty minx that Dan Didio is).
  • The Phantom Stranger
There are no details of which books are being sent to live on a farm as yet.  Likewise, creative teams have yet to be announced, though Didio himself is rumoured to be writing The Phantom Stranger, thereby ensuring the title the long and healthy life that only a creator of his popularity and acclaim can possibly promise.

It has also been confirmed that all 52 zero issues will be collected into a hardcover volume, probably in time to give Santa a hernia.

UPDATE: According to his Twitter feed, Scott Snyder will not be writing Talon: the book will instead be written by James Tynion  IV, with a story assist from the aforementioned Snyder.

UPDATE 2: The creative teams for the new books are as follows:

Talon: James Tynion IV and Guillem March
Sword and Sorcery: Christy Marx and Aaron Lopresti, with a backup by Tony Bedard and Jesus Saiz
Team Seven: Justin Jordan and Jesus Merino
Phantom Stranger: Dan Didio and Brent Anderson

Source: Associated Press
Written or Contributed by: nietoperz

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/comics-news/19761-dc-announce-four-new-titles-zero-issues.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 277 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Re: DC Announce Four New Titles, Zero Issues

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:07 am

I will say that these titles are really going to depend on their creative teams. I mean, I love The Phantom Stranger, but I'm not sure Didio is the guy to write him. Likewise Amethyst: she needs a great writer to work.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1015 posts

Postby HNutz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:46 am

Surprised to hear about Talon, but since Snyder's writing it I'll give it a chance.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:57 am

I became a fan of the Stranger through Matt Wagner's excellent work on Madame Xanadu. He was a perfect foil for the titular character and their relationship was one of the best features of the story. In may ways, he helped Nimue grow up into what she would become.

I'd be up for a Phantom Stranger title, even if I don't care for the Trinity of Sin.

What I am not up for is a title being written by Dan Didio. If there was ever a development that I'd want to remain rumor. This would be it.

Edit: Sword and Sorcery is also of interest. Considering that DC has made most of its properties unreadable in my eyes, a long-unused one might be what I need to stay in the fold. However, this is going to depend on the creative team as well. If it comes down to it, I'd rather have an unknown team, instead of one that hasn't impressed me.
Last edited by SilverPhoenix on Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 640 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:57 am

While I'm not a fan of all the anti DC snark that seems to be in abundance with the new news directive, I'd think there'd at least be accuracy. I just the read the original article and I can't find it anywhere that Didio is writing one of the new four books.

News + rumors. Did we get bought by Johnston and nobody told me?

Anyway...

Phantom Stranger sounds good (especially with the Spectre connection).
Never cared for Amethyst for Sword & Sorcery is a low possibility (creative team to decide).
Team 7 has some good cast members and some awful (Wade Wilson).
And Talon - I've he'd off reading Night of the Owls until all the issues are out to read it n one sitting, but if Snyder's on, I'm in.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:22 am

You did read the part where I SAID THAT CREATIVE TEAMS HADN'T BEEN ANNOUNCED and emphasised that Didio was RUMOURED to be writing the book, right?

Anyway, we're not just snarky about DC. We have equal amounts of scorn reserved for Marvel as well.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:38 am

nietoperz wrote:You did read the part where I SAID THAT CREATIVE TEAMS HADN'T BEEN ANNOUNCED and emphasised that Didio was RUMOURED to be writing the book, right?

Anyway, we're not just snarky about DC. We have equal amounts of scorn reserved for Marvel as well.

Bad enough it seems like most all news nowadays (over here at least) is opinion mixed with a bit of news, I likewise am not a fan of a news/rumor blend.

But credit given where it's due, you did clearly call it a rumor.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:57 am

Story updated with latest information on creative teams.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1464 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:49 am

Depending on how Night of the Owls wraps up, I may give Talon a shot. Although, I am really disappointed that Snyder will not be the writer.

I really want to be excited for the Phantom Stranger but not the DCnU, maybe Judas Iscariot version of the character. Call me crazy but I don't think that there is any conceivable way that Barry Allen could have altered time so badly that it effected the origin of an entity as powerful as the Phantom Stranger.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:53 am

Most people know my stance on the Phantom Stranger. For those who do not that character sucks the life out of any comic book he appears in. Now that he has his own ongoing written by Dan Didio, wow, not sure how it could get any worse.

Yes, I will buy the first few issues just to see if I'm wrong about the character.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:55 am

Talon: James Tynion IV and Guillem March - Art gets a thumbs up but I I liked it better when it was Snyder written book (in)

Sword and Sorcery: Christy Marx and Aaron Lopresti, with a backup by Tony Bedard and Jesus Saiz - Amethyst holds little interest, Lopresti is a plus and not familar with Marx. The back with Saiz is a start but Bedard isn't (and no idea who it will feature) (on the fence)

Team Seven: Justin Jordan and Jesus Merino - Art solid, but have yet to read Luthor Strode to see about Jordan. (probable)

Phantom Stranger: Dan Didio and Brent Anderson - if Omac Didio shows up rather than Outsiders Omac, this will be good. And the long awaited return of Brent Anderson! His style should work well. (in)

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:00 am

CBR says the backup features 'Beowulf.' I wonder if that's an adaption of the epic poem...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:01 am

I may check out Talons, Tynion IV has been pretty good when co-writing with Snyder. But the rest? Sounds crap.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 116 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:01 am

LOLtron wrote:Phantom Stranger: Dan Didio and Brent Anderson

oh what the fuck now? what happened to astro city supposedly coming back?

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 179 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:03 am

I'd buy Sword and Sorcery if Richard Marx was writing it

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand