Advertisement

Review Group Week 330 - INSUFFERABLE WEEKS 1-6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Re: Review Group Week 330 - INSUFFERABLE WEEKS 1-6

Postby ****** » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:16 pm

THE MASSIVE #1
Writer: Brian Wood
Artist: Kristian Donaldson

In a post-war, post-crash, post-disaster, post-everything world, the environmental-action trawler Kapital scours the earth’s oceans for its mysteriously missing sistership, The Massive. Captain Callum Israel, a man who has dedicated his life to the ocean, now must ask himself—as our planet dies—what it means to be an environmentalist after the world’s ended. Callum and his crew will come up against pirates, rebels, murderers, and thieves as they struggle to remain noble toward their cause. Can you save a planet that's already doomed?

Advertisement

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:01 pm

amlah6 wrote:Did I Punchy this week's thread by picking a non-traditional comic?

No; you picked something really awesome.

I forgive you now for recommending Young Liars.

Postby ****** » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Young Liars was the pinnacle of the medium

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 389 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:07 pm

The thing that stood out to me the most about this series is how Waid and Krause are using the fact that this is a web comic quite effectively. I thought that the page design, in which sometimes only a panel at a time is revealed, was a really good storytelling method that did a nice job of adding to the story's drama. The only problem with this method is that doing it takes up so much space at times that the issues themselves are, in some cases, shorter that they should be.

As for the story itself, Nocturnus and Galahad are an interesting father and son pairing. Waid does a good job of making both of their points of view clear. The reader can see how they are both right and both wrong, depending upon just what they're talking about at any one point. It should be interesting to see just what is happening with Nocturus's wife/Galahad's mother. Is she actually still alive? If not, just what exactly is going on?

I'll give this an 8 out of 10.
Last edited by Stephen Day on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:09 pm

amlah6 wrote:Did I Punchy this week's thread by picking a non-traditional comic?

It was a fine choice.

It's difficult to say why this Review Group is so inactive compared to other recent ones. :smt102

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:28 pm

I don't know how I feel about downloading something legally. It makes me feel dirty.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:29 pm

That and I don't feel like reading 6 issues of something.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:03 am

guitarsmashley wrote:That and I don't feel like reading 6 issues of something.

It's not the same as six issues. Each episode is probably the equivalent of about 10 comic pages.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:15 am

Yes

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:48 am

Stephen Day wrote:The thing that stood out to me the most about this series is how Waid and Krause are using the fact that this is a web comic quite effectively. I thought that the page design, in which sometimes only a panel at a time is revealed, was a really good storytelling method that did a nice job of adding to the story's drama. The only problem with this method is that doing it takes up so much space at times that the issues themselves are, in some cases, shorter that they should be.

As for the story itself, Nocturnus and Galahad are an interesting father and son pairing. Waid does a good job of making both of their points of view clear. The reader can see how they are both right and both wrong, depending upon just what they're talking about at any one point. It should be interesting to see just what is happening with Nocturus's wife/Galahad's mother. Is she actually still alive? If not, just what exactly is going on?

I'll give this an 8 out of 10.

I agree with Stephen's review. I love the way the web comic at key points guides the pace of reading. It forced me to slow down and read the comic at the speed that Waid and Krause intended. In doing so, the comic builds some very suspenseful moments. As I read these issues, I kept thinking how cool it would've been to have Severed or Walking Dead published in this format. I think horror comics, in particular, lend themselves to this design, because they often feature many wordless sequences where characters find themselves moving into increasing danger from panel to panel.

So because this book has showed me that web comics can be better than print comics, and because Krause's art is excellent but generally under-appreciated, I'm giving this book a big ...

9/10

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:51 am

Eli Katz wrote:I agree with Stephen's review. I love the way the web comic at key points guides the pace of reading. It forced me to slow down and read the comic at the speed that Waid and Krause intended. In doing so, the comic builds some very suspenseful moments. As I read these issues, I kept thinking how cool it would've been to have Severed or Walking Dead published in this format. I think horror comics, in particular, lend themselves to this design, because they often feature many wordless sequences where characters find themselves moving into increasing danger from panel to panel.

So because this book has showed me that web comics can be better than print comics, and because Krause's art is excellent but generally under-appreciated, I'm giving this book a big ...

9/10

Thanks for agreeing with me. :)

However, I have to slightly disagree with the bolded part of your review. I don't think the panel design says that web comics can be better as much as it says that the two mediums are different and that they both have their strengths and weaknesses. For instance, a big double splash page, if used right, can be impressive in a classic comic book, but I don't think it translates very well to a web comic.
Last edited by Stephen Day on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:01 pm

I tried to post a review last night but the site wouldn't load repeatedly.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:03 pm

ITT: Eli Katz discovers motion comics, something Marvel animators thought were innovative roughly 50 years ago.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:57 pm

McDarkseid wrote:ITT: Eli Katz discovers motion comics, something Marvel animators thought were innovative roughly 50 years ago.

:lol:
Thankfully, these comics are different from, and much better than, Iron Man cartoons circa 1965.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Thanks for agreeing with me. :)

However, I have to slightly disagree with the bolded part of your review. I don't think the panel design says that web comics can be better as much as it says that the two mediums are different and that they both have their strengths and weaknesses. For instance, a big double splash page, if used right, can be impressive in a classic comic book, but I don't think it translates very well to a web comic.

You're right. Yet, on balance, I think the web format offers more possibilities for creators to explore than the print medium.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand