Advertisement

Defenders #7 (Konami Code Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Defenders #7 (Konami Code Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:18 pm

After a few issues of solo adventures for the members of the ‘non-team’ this issue features them getting back together to try and stop John Aman and get to the bottom of just what in holy hell is going on. Fraction continues to use this title to really explore the Marvel Universe, so we have the Defenders paying a visit to Wakanda, getting high on magic soul-juice with the Black Panthers, and kind of declaring war on John Aman’s country. This issue featured some real stand-out moments, particularly for Silver Surfer, the way his body morphed when he took Wakandan LSD was hilarious. Parallel to this, Fraction introduced everyone’s second-favourite sexy cat-based thief Black Cat to the book, you could tell he and the Dodsons were having a real blast in the heist sequence, and as this is their last issue, it’s good to have them bow out doing what they do best, drawing a character with massive breasts being sexy as Marvel can allow. I wonder what the deal is with those Brass Frogs, and what the hell are the ‘Council Of Antiquarians’ after? I’m guessing they want the Concordance Engine really. This book is the best expression of Fraction’s indie sensibilities I’ve seen in his Marvel work, lots of on the surface stylish silliness and, but beneath it, there’s substance. It’s not just being cool for cool’s sake. Unless it is.

Advertisement

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Re: Defenders #7 (Konami Code Spoilers)

Postby Greg » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Surfer getting high on the Wakandan soul shaped herb was awesome. :lol:
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 473 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:26 pm

I'm pretty sure these brass frogs are the exact same frogs that appeared in McDuffie's run of Fantastic Four..

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 473 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Here is the wiki entry on them:

King Solomon's Frogs are two fictional magical amphibians (in the Marvel Universe) who were once in the service of Solomon, King of Israel, and are now in the service of T'Challa, King of Wakanda. The Frogs have astounding powers: One of them can warp Time, the other can warp Space. With their help, T'Challa can travel hundreds of light-years "almost instantaneously" and lead the Fantastic Four to victory over Galactus and his heralds The Silver Surfer and Stardust. Taku, the King's capable assistant, tries to warn his monarch that there are dangerous side-effects in using the powers of the frogs, but the headstrong ruler refuses to listen.

King Solomon's Frogs appear in the Marvel Comics Fantastic Four, issue 546, July 2007.

A story entitled "King Solomon's Frog" appeared in the first issue of The Black Panther comic, dated January 1977. The story was written and drawn by Jack Kirby, and describes T'Challa's discovery of the time-warping brass frog

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:35 pm

Punchy, if you're interested, when Hudlin and McDuffie wrote the BP/Storm/Fantastic 4 arc, the Frogs were used and it was a lot of fun on both books.

Priest also featured the Frogs, but the run with the Frogs aren't collected (What would you expect with Marvel?).
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand