Advertisement

REVIEW OF MIND MGMT #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

@dace1314
Whippersnapper

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Sacred Mantle

REVIEW OF MIND MGMT #1

Postby @dace1314 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:34 am

Story, Art & Cover - Matt Kindt
Alternate Cover - Gilbert Hernandez
Publisher - Dark Horse Comics
Price - $3.99

Matt Kindt is creating a special comic book. After reading the first issue you'll have experienced something genuinely original; a work that has been crafted with so much thought and care that it easily stands out from most if not all of the other monthly titles that are coming out these days.

As is usually the case with comics created by a single person doing both the writing and the art, everything feels a little tighter. There is more of a cohesion between these roles where the singular vision of the creator can be fully realized. You will be immersed in his pages which overflow with interesting content, depth of story and gorgeous artwork. There are unique and fun plot mechanics which contribute to the overall narrative of special agents with powerful mind control abilities. One of these is a mock advertisement on the back page that is coded as the first part of a secret message, one which will be fully revealed when the first six issues have been laid out side by side. There are no actual ads whatsoever to break the flow of the book, which is why it costs a little more.

The artwork is nothing like what you find in the majority of mainstream comics these days. It is, however, very similar to the work of Jeff Lemire (Sweet Tooth, Essex County), with its use of water color and relaxed pencils and inks. Kindt isn't concerned with the clean and realistic approach. He settles in with a more daring, looser style which is richly emotive and brings with it a fluidity that is soft on the eyes and a pleasure to look at.

Kindt has delivered a first issue packed with tons of promise, and it's going to be exciting to see if he's able to deliver on that promise in the months to come. At the back of the book he has a message to the readers which almost feels like Babe Ruth pointing to the fences and calling his shot. Here's hoping he crushes it out of park.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: REVIEW OF MIND MGMT #1

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:05 am

Nice review!

I loved issue one and especially like the way Matt Kindt opens a dialogue with the reader about why even though Kindt himself has grown to prefer GNs he went to extra lengths to make this book worth the monthly purchase, including extra content that won't be collected and hidden puzzles in the fake ads on the back covers, etc. It's all very mysterious and intriguing, and as a complete package including content on the inside covers and back cover it really is well-designed too. I didn't even realize the ad on the back was fake until the 3rd or 4th time I glanced at it.

@dace1314
Whippersnapper

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Sacred Mantle

Postby @dace1314 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:42 am

Totally! I'm so jacked to see where this all goes. It's so great to see a publisher let a creator run wild with seemingly no editorial control. This is when the best books are produced.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Matt Kindt tweeted the link to this:

http://twitter.com/mattkindt/status/210519548204564486

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 49 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:25 pm

I like Matt Kindt a lot.

Revolver was one of the best OGN's in years, and I have a feeling this is going to be one of my favorites month in and month out from now on as well.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:40 am

GLX wrote:Matt Kindt tweeted the link to this:

http://twitter.com/mattkindt/status/210519548204564486

That's cool, I feel like this book deserves more attention than it's gotten. There was a very positive review on CBR as well.

I liked Mind MGMT #1 so much I bought a copy of Secret Files Of The Giant Man one shot last Wednesday, which I also enjoyed. Can't wait for issue 2 of MM.

Sometimes I'm pretty discouraged by them and consider dropping weekly comics, but books like Mind MGMT keep me interested in the medium.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand