Advertisement

Animal Man #10 (Went out of style in the 80s Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Animal Man #10 (Went out of style in the 80s Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:33 am

After last week’s Annual provided some important context for the war against the Rot, this issue puts us right back in the thick of things as Buddy continues his journey through the Red. Steve Pugh did a great job at depicting the otherworldly nature of this place, and the ending was very interesting, what will Buddy’s new body be like? I’m guessing he’ll look the same, but have more powerful Animal-abilities, but then again, he could be a cat like Socks, who knows? There’s also stuff going on in the ‘real world’ as John Constantine and some other members of Justice League Dark show up to try and warn the Bakers about what’s going on. Jeff Lemire writes a damn good Constantine, I may have to check out his run on JLD (Julia Louis-Dreyfus?), has it started yet? I’m worried about Cliff too, the Rot-Buddy is going to do bad things to him, I just know it. This title continues to be excellent, and the anticipation for the upcoming war just keeps building and building. I wonder who the ‘green guy’ is if not Swamp Thing? Is Green Lantern going to get involved? Green Arrow?

Advertisement

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 451 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Re: Animal Man #10 (Went out of style in the 80s Spoilers)

Postby e_galston » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:56 am

Lemire's run of Justice League Dark started in issue 9, and already the book is a million times better than it was under Milligan

Sromkie
underclassman

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Sromkie » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:09 am

Sitebreaker wrote:Lemire's run of Justice League Dark started in issue 9, and already the book is a million times better than it was under Milligan

I entirely agree. I just thought JLD was okay prior to Lemire taking over. After reading his first issue, I am entirely sold for the rest I his run. It's clear, right off the bat, that he knows how to handle these characters.

With this single issue, JLD went from a book that I'd read when I got around to it to one that I am looking forward to and plan to read the day it's released.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:15 pm

I agree with Mr. Galston and Sromkie about Justice League Dark, the level of quality of the writing jumped ten fold when Lemire began writing it.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:25 pm

About the goings on this issue:

I'm worried about cliff, especially after the statement by the Avatars of the Red, "the Rot has taken your son, the Rot has Cliff." I also think it was a neat touch to have the way the Red appears shift according to the mind of the current Avatar, namely Maxine at the moment. Finally, I agree with you Punchy that Buddy's new body will probably look like his old body. I can't see DC itself wanting any sort of huge change in his appearance.
Last edited by Stephen Day on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 393 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Stephen Day wrote:I agree with Mr. Galston and Sromkie about Justice League Dark, the level of quality of the writing jumped ten fold when Lemire began writing it.

I can't say it's the quality of the writing that made the difference for me as much as it was getting rid of Shade.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 451 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:56 pm

Amoebas wrote:I can't say it's the quality of the writing that made the difference for me as much as it was getting rid of Shade.

there's that too... he really seemed out of place, for a team that was mystical to have a character like Shade seemed really strange, he didn't fit with any of the rest of the characters at all, it completely reeked of "pet character"

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Amoebas wrote:I can't say it's the quality of the writing that made the difference for me as much as it was getting rid of Shade.

I didn't mind Shade as a part of the team to tell the truth. :smt102

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 135 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:16 am

Yeah Punchy, the first issue of JLD under Lemire was pretty awesome.

I need to catch up on this book pretty badly.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand