Tuesday, June 28, 2016 • Evening Edition • "But first you're gonna blow me!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week 330 - INSUFFERABLE WEEKS 1-6

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Holy Christ...


If you're thinking what I think you're thinking, then I agree, Jude and Squid are way, way, way over thinking this.

If that wasn't what you were thinking, then nevermind, move along.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:33 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
If you're thinking what I think you're thinking, then I agree, Jude and Squid are way, way, way over
thinking this.

If that wasn't what you were thinking, then nevermind, move along.



Not sure how it's overthinking. Something like this is billed as the future of comics, it should be innovative. At the very least it should match current technology.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:42 pm

I didn't think this format had much to offer, and don't like the experience of reading webcomics. As much as I like Freakangels, for example, I hated the experience of reading it online and wait to buy the trades to read it in the medium I'm happy with.
User avatar

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
If you're thinking what I think you're thinking, then I agree, Jude and Squid are way, way, way over
thinking this.

If that wasn't what you were thinking, then nevermind, move along.

I'm thinking what you're thinking.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:47 pm

The latest installment was purple and flat.

/underthunk'd
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:48 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I'm thinking what you're thinking.


I thought you were. :-D
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:53 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:

Not sure how it's overthinking. Something like this is billed as the future of comics, it should be innovative. At the very least it should match current technology.


Innovation doesn't always match the current technological level though. I think we can both agree that comics are a bit behind the bell curve when it comes to technology. Wether something is innovative or not depends on what is being done in that particular medium being discussed. How many others are doing stuff like we saw in Insufferable? I'd say not many, and in that way I'd argue that it is innovative for more mainstream comics.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:53 pm

I actually enjoy reading comics on my tablet, just not this particular one. If they're not going to design for the mobile screen (and I think they should), then I'd rather just have full pages that I can control myself with a full featured reader.

For what it's worth, I think comiXology's reader does a good job, I just don't like their rent a license to view the content model.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:06 pm

If you just want to talk about the story, I talked about the story too. It isn't something I'd buy monthly in print, or that I'd buy a collected edition of. It is very typical Mark Waid, so if you like his stuff you'll like this.
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:09 pm

McDarkseid wrote:If you just want to talk about the story, I talked about the story too. It isn't something I'd buy monthly in print, or that I'd buy a collected edition of. It is very typical Mark Waid, so if you like his stuff you'll like this.


I like Waid, so I liked this story.

That was a fair point on your part, and one I didn't think you were overthinking.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
I like Waid, so I liked this story.

That was a fair point on your part, and one I didn't think you were overthinking.


I followed Irredeemable for a while and liked Waid's world-building but grew bored with the story. I felt like it started strong but got weaker as the conflicts were drawn out.
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:23 pm

McDarkseid wrote:
I followed Irredeemable for a while and liked Waid's world-building but grew bored with the story.


Whereas I liked the way the father/son dynamic played out between Nocturnus and Galahad.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:43 pm

I like Waid and liked the story. Like I said if it was a regular comic I would have scored it an 8. Nothing groundbreaking but completely solid and entertaining.

But it's not just about the story here, it needs to be judged on the merit of the presentation which is a big selling point of this.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:51 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I like Waid and liked the story. Like I said if it was a regular comic I would have scored it an 8. Nothing groundbreaking but completely solid and entertaining.

But it's not just about the story here, it needs to be judged on the merit of the presentation which is a big selling point of this.


Marshall McLuhan would say it's the more important thing to consider, and that the content of the medium is a "juicy piece of meat carried by the burglar to distract the watchdog of the mind," but that by focusing on that we miss the more important implications of new technology on media and the way it drives cultural and social changes.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:06 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Whereas I liked the way the father/son dynamic played out between Nocturnus and Galahad.


Sir Hipsterhad Left Eye Lopes'd stately Wayne Manor!

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot] and 180 guests