Advertisement

Uncanny X-Force #26 Review

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 318 posts

Uncanny X-Force #26 Review

Postby LOLtron » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:12 pm

GLX gives his take on Uncanny X-Force #26.

Comic Review Cover

Credits & Solicit Info:

Writer - Rick Remender
Artist - Phil Noto
Colorist - Dean White

• Meet the Omegas and watch them destroy Wolverine, AOA-Nightcrawler and Deadpool!
• Psylocke goes to the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning to visit Angel, but she finds something she was not expecting.
• The new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants kicks their plan into high gear!
32 PGS./Parental Advisory ...$3.99

Review:

Looking over my reviews, I notice that I've written about Uncanny X-Force more than any other title on the stands. I've even commented on this trend in a past review. No matter how many times I write about it, I find myself writing once again on another issue of the series. Uncanny X-Force #26 is a solid issue that holds up to the pedigree of the series.

This issue deals not only with the title's focus on revenge and murder, but also on previous story lines. Most of the stories from previous issues have some influence on the comic. There are plot threads that originate from stories such as "Otherworld", "The Dark Angel Saga" and even on a few issues involving the Shadow King. Rick Remender uses the title's past continuity to enhance the story. On page one, the reader gets a creepy, yet superb reintroduction to Skinlessman. The reader gets a glimpse of Shadow King and is teased as to who was talking with him. Near the end of the comic, Psylocke's deeds with X-Force begin to take their toll. Scenes like these reward readers and give them something to look forward to.

That is not to say that this comic is lacking in the action department. Remender builds off the Omega Clan vs. X-Force fight in the last issue, while adding a new conflict for another member of the team. While characters such as Deadpool and Wolverine will likely be relatively safe by the end of the story arc, that does not mean that everyone is safe. Without spoiling the story, something happens to one character that I didn't expect to happen. It gives the feeling that not everyone is safe, which is lacking in most superhero comics.

Remender does a good job of handling the villains. While the main source of the team's troubles is not fully revealed, the Omega Clan work well as antagonists to X-Force. They are not villains, but tragic heroes. Like the title character of William Shakespeare's Othello, the Omega Clan are set on a course of revenge and murder based on false information. Their perspective on their foes makes sense, even though the reader and the heroes know that the Omega Clan's information is false. They may be going after the title's heroes, but Remender gives them some time to be viewed in a sympathetic light.

Phil Noto handles the art and does a nice job of telling the story. In comparison to the previous issue, there is some visual unevenness but it's not because Noto is a bad artist. Mike McKone, who handled the art in the previous issue, has a unique style that is different to Noto's style. Despite this, the different art styles are not that big of issue for two reasons. First, their styles may be noticeably different, but are not radically different from each other. Secondly, Dean White handles the colors for this issue. This is important because White has worked on the colors for the majority of the series. It adds a layer of visual consistency that harkens back to previous issues. Even if artists change midway through a story, White's work makes the change less annoying.

It is not always easy to write a review; it requires not only unique insight, but also the words to articulate that insight. The reason why I find myself reviewing Uncanny X-Force is that most of the issues stick with me, even after the comic has been put away. There is no other way to put it - Uncanny X-Force #26 is just a great comic.

8* out of 10*

Review by: GLX

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/reviews/comics-reviews/19862-uncanny-x-force-26.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Re: Uncanny X-Force #26 Review

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:44 pm

This book is back.

19 straight awesome issues before Otherworld.. One bad arc, and everyone was ready to call it the worst thing in the world.. but this has been a great arc once more. I'm ready to call the Otherworld just an aberration. Might as well have been a fill-in arc. Remender was obviously busy with other stuff and threw that together just to be able to put something out. :D

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Holland Oats wrote:This book is back.

19 straight awesome issues before Otherworld.. One bad arc, and everyone was ready to call it the worst thing in the world.. but this has been a great arc once more. I'm ready to call the Otherworld just an aberration. Might as well have been a fill-in arc. Remender was obviously busy with other stuff and threw that together just to be able to put something out. :D

The art for that arc was "the worst thing in the world" - it made Otherworld almost unreadable.

What happened to McKone? He only did one issue. Noto's doing #27.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:46 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:
The art for that arc was "the worst thing in the world" - it made Otherworld almost unreadable.

What happened to McKone? He only did one issue. Noto's doing #27.

The art made sense in that it was "otherworldly", but it was hard to make out at times.

As for McKone... :smt102

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 67 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:31 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE how this book is showing how running a kill-squad has consequences.

Look. I'm not dense. Characters like the Reavers, Apocalypse...yeah, they're killers. I understand why someone would judge them such threats that they have to be taken off the board.

But there are consequences to that. There are. You run a kill-squad, somebody might decide to sanction you. You might realize that you're not the stone-cold killer you thought you were. You might run into somebody tough enough to kill you before you kill them.

That's what I've taken from the run of Uncanny X-Force which made it different from the Yost-Kyle run. Killing people has consequences. It does. And it's interesting to see how it is playing out.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Holland Oats wrote:This book is back.

I took one look at the first issue of the Otherworld arc and just decided to skip it knowing better stuff was on the horizon. So yeah, no harm, no foul for me there.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 300 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:55 pm

Return to form for this book. This is why I stuck by it from #1 :)

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 785 posts
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:38 pm

LOLtron wrote:It is need always easy to write a review; it requires not only unique insight, but also the words to articulate that insight.

Does "need" mean "not"?

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:42 am

This is by far my favorite book. Glad to see it has returned to form after the Otherworld arc. I didn't think the writing for that arc was bad but for me the art ruined it. I just couldn't enjoy the book with that art.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 997 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:24 am

This book is fucking stellar.

STELLAR!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:35 am

Last month Remender gave us fat Deadpool in a back-up story, this time out we get Fat Wolverine! X-Force? More like X-Fatties. Ahem. Anyways, this was another strong issue of UXF, and now that we have a clearer picture as to who the villains of this story are (a new incarnation of the Brotherhood Of Evil Mutants), I’m very excited about where things are going. The idea of breeding assassins who believe their targets killed their parents is a brilliant one, and I loved the fake flashback the Omegas had, very clever stuff. It’s interesting seeing which characters are members of this new Brotherhood, so far we’ve got Mystique, who slept with Fantomex while pretending to be Psylocke (and I liked how even though Fantomex knew who she was, he still shagged her, great character detail, he just wants to get his end away), Shadow King, who is messing with the real Psylocke’s head, and Sabretooth who is tracking some Jean Grey School students on Genosha. Is Barrister Skinlessman going to join the team? Who was the mysterious person pulling the strings? Hmmm. It was good to have Phil Noto back on the book, I loved his work on #24 and he’s a really great fit. This book continues to be highly enjoyable, and it’s still the only place I’ve ever enjoyed Deadpool, which is saying a lot. If you tuned out during the Otherworld mess, come back in, the water’s lovely and warm (if only because of all the blood).

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 997 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:57 am

Any idea who will be in the Brotherhood?

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:55 am

sdsichero wrote:
Does "need" mean "not"?

Corrected it.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:43 am

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Any idea who will be in the Brotherhood?

We see who it is in the final page.. the "NEXT:" page

Barrister Skinlessman
Sabretooth
Shadow King
Mystique
whoever that fat guy is.. Blob?

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 785 posts
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray

leave a comment with facebook