Advertisement

Review Group Week 331 - THE MASSIVE #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 341 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Review Group Week 331 - THE MASSIVE #1

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:23 am

amlah6 wrote:The last Baltimore story was super good, I'm looking forward to this.

I didn't read the last one, but I'm looking forward to this. :)

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:37 pm

The Massive #1

An okay debut, but one that doesn't do enough to grab the reader and bring them back next month instead of waiting out the trades (which still are only truly guaranteed by monthly sales).

Possibly gets a second look next issue if it's a lighter week again but no promises.

Probably my last contribution for a while or ever, be seeing you.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:21 pm

Wow, this book is a total info dump. The world as it's set up is interesting, but the comic is a bit dry as a result of the heavy exposition. I can understand the comparisons to DMZ, but in DMZ we were introduced to the world through Matty, in The Massive we're introduced to the world through caption boxes. It's weird how this seems to be so completely devoid of character work when that's usually Wood's biggest strength.

The art was solid despite the book's rather limited setting. I can't think of any instance where I haven't liked Donaldson's work.

Story: 6
Art: 8
Overall: 7

Even if this single issue may have had some flaws, this is still an automatic buy for me when the trade comes out. The creative team is just too good for this not to deliver eventually.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 282 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:21 am

Ok glad I'm not the only one left feeling cold from this issue. I really didn't find it all that compelling and lack of plot of character development really does not grab me as a reader. Donaldson's art is incredible as always but there is no story and the catch up pages of the crash could have been done on a two pages of panels and not slowed what little story there was to a crawl.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand