Advertisement

Venom #19 (Have you visited mom recently? Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Venom #19 (Have you visited mom recently? Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:47 am

Rick Remender, Cullen Bunn and Lan Medina are really putting Flash Thompson through the wringer here, his life is just getting fucked in every hole. I’m constantly surprised by how dark this book is willing to get, and this issue was the maybe the darkest yet. Flash’s family and ex, Betty Brant are being targeted by the Crime-Master’s ‘Savage Six’ and unlike most lame-ass villains, they’re actually following through with their threats. So you get stuff like Flash’s brother-in-law being brutally murdered, like his sister getting Gwen Stacy-ed off of a roof (and even though I’m really very bored of this homage, it did kind of work in a way, because Jack O’Lantern acknowledged he was doing it, and because Flash saved his sister, but then immediately put somebody else in danger, he just can’t win) and, wait for it, his mother being eaten by the Human Fly! At least I think that’s what happened, I initially thought that the issue had ended on a moment that was way too small, but then I looked closely at that final panel and… HOLY SHIT THAT’S A RIB-CAGE! HIS MOTHER’S RIB-CAGE! JESUS! I can’t believe they went there, but I love it. Hell, in amongst all of this, you could easily forget that Flash revealed to Betty that he was Venom, that’s another massive deal. This book really does have an aura of ‘anything could happen’ and that’s brilliant for a Spider-Man title.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand