Saturday, July 30, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Memorial to dead childhoods."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Avengers Vs X-Men #6 (Welcome to Utopia Spoilers)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:48 pm

Act 2 begins, and wow, this feels like a different book. After the seemingly constant battles of the first 5 issues, this one skips ahead 3 weeks and show that instead of immediately fighting, the ‘Phoenix 5’ instead busied themselves with changing the world, making it into a Utopia. But as always with a Utopia, there’s something rotten at the core of it, and that’s why Captain America re-starts the war. I found it interesting that this issue, to me anyway, repositioned the role of hero and villain, in the first 5, it had seemed like Cyclops was in the wrong, but now? Cap is breaking up a perfect world on a hunch. I’ve long said that both sides have a point in this, so there’s no point in taking sides, but dammit, the architects are still doing it me! This issue also featured some story elements of this event that had sort of been left to one side come bursting into the spotlight, namely the Scarlet Witch showing up as the ultimate wild-card, and also the Iron Fist stuff that’s been going on in New Avengers. I’m guessing this week’s issue of NA takes place after this one. The writing and art in this issue was very strong, Hickman managed once again to strike the right tone for event comics, he’s changed his voice here and it’s working, this title couldn’t handle any ‘human machinery’ nonsense. Olivier Coipel was magnificent, I’ve loved his art since House Of M, and he’s a great fit for these big epics, it’s no accident this is his 3rd one. Next issue promises ‘No More Avengers’, which is a cool quote, what with all of the House Of M imagery it brings up, but I’m not exactly sure how it will work.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:23 pm

I haven't read AvX #6 Infinite yet, I'll report back on it later.
User avatar

MistaT

penile prisoner

Postby MistaT » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Punchy wrote:I haven't read AvX #6 Infinite yet, I'll report back on it later.


Loved it. Curious see what you say about the format.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:30 pm

MistaT wrote:
Loved it. Curious see what you say about the format.


I haven't read a digitally only comic yet, for some reason the download code I got with AvX #1 didn't work.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:36 pm

Forgot to mention, I loved the scene at the beginning with Magneto and Professor X, it's both brilliant and sad that those two are now largely irrelevant in the big picture for the X-Men, they used to be integral, and now, the concept has moved on. Weird.
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:44 pm

Yeah, I read it yesterday and was kind of on the fence on this. It was a good and interesting issue and all but the forced fighting between the Avengers and the X-Men got very tiring in this issue. Are the writers just determined to put the Avengers and X-Men at odds, even though it defies plausibility? The Avengers storming Utopia again for Hope was silly, especially knowing that Cyclops and company would be there. Plus, why do they figure that Hope would have all the answers in dealing with the Phoenix? Why haven't the Avengers gone to Reed Richards yet? Or better yet, why haven't the Shi Ar been fully involved yet? A lot of logic has been thrown out for the sake of fighting throughout out this saga.
A more plausible story would be if Hope had come to the Avengers on her own with new information about the Phoenix and Cyclops and company had attacked this time around instead of just making the Avengers look like uninvited gate-crashers. I do find AVX an interesting storyline and all but I wish it wouldn't be at the expense of two teams that have had a long history of working alongside each other with mutual respect.
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Punchy wrote:Forgot to mention, I loved the scene at the beginning with Magneto and Professor X, it's both brilliant and sad that those two are now largely irrelevant in the big picture for the X-Men, they used to be integral, and now, the concept has moved on. Weird.


True. Plus, I find it interesting that Xavier would be welcome in Utopia by Cyclops seeing as how Scott kicked him to the curb after severing ties from him.
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:51 pm

Draco, the Shi-Ar are in Wolverine and the X-Men.

And they said they went after Hope since she was connected to the Phoenix Force as the original intended host making her the ideal subject for analysis.

And why are they fighting? Because Cyclops is a villain currently at Beyonder level :P
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:06 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:Draco, the Shi-Ar are in Wolverine and the X-Men.

And they said they went after Hope since she was connected to the Phoenix Force as the original intended host making her the ideal subject for analysis.

And why are they fighting? Because Cyclops is a villain currently at Beyonder level :P


You kinda missed my point, buddy, if the Avengers want expertise in dealing with the Phoenix, they go to an empire that has dealt with it in the past or go to Reed Richards rather than a dumbass suicide mission on Utopia. Did Cap and co really think that they were just going to take Hope that easily especially now that Cyclops and co have Phoenix-force powers at their disposal-did they all conveniently overlook the fact that Emma as a telepath would have detected their presence so easily? Plus, even if they did get Hope out of Utopia successfully, the Phoenix 5 would have tracked them down easily and just have taken Hope back with a snap of a finger. All the Avengers did was make things worst by pissing off 5 very powerful individuals by pulling this stunt.
As I said before, it would have been better if Hope had gone to the Avengers with information and Cyclops and co had been the agressors this time as the Cap and co. are starting to come off as storm troopers for the president of the USA.
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:24 pm

Dude, it's a 12 issue event series titled Avengers vs X-Men.....they can only cram in so much with the massive rosters both teams have. That's why small subplots like these get relegated into tie-ins (outside the obvious $$$ factor).

As for the X-Men being pissed off......there's reason the last page said "Next: No More Avengers" :lol:
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:13 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:Dude, it's a 12 issue event series titled Avengers vs X-Men.....they can only cram in so much with the massive rosters both teams have. That's why small subplots like these get relegated into tie-ins (outside the obvious $$$ factor).

As for the X-Men being pissed off......there's reason the last page said "Next: No More Avengers" :lol:


Which kind of supports one of my main points about this event primarily being a Wrestle-Mania/ Civil War redux. A lot of good logic and character portrayal is dashed away for the sake of fighting. The only thing that's missing from this event is Vince McMahon and Don King selling promotional tickets for both teams. While AVX is a big improvement from Civil War and Secret Invasion, it feels more like a videogame than a comicbook.
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:15 pm

I'd rather have a McMahon booked event (AvX) than a Vince Russo booked one (Reign of Superman/Blackest Night/Flashpoint)
User avatar

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:36 pm

draco x wrote:
You kinda missed my point, buddy, if the Avengers want expertise in dealing with the Phoenix, they go to an empire that has dealt with it in the past or go to Reed Richards rather than a dumbass suicide mission on Utopia. Did Cap and co really think that they were just going to take Hope that easily especially now that Cyclops and co have Phoenix-force powers at their disposal-did they all conveniently overlook the fact that Emma as a telepath would have detected their presence so easily? Plus, even if they did get Hope out of Utopia successfully, the Phoenix 5 would have tracked them down easily and just have taken Hope back with a snap of a finger. All the Avengers did was make things worst by pissing off 5 very powerful individuals by pulling this stunt.
As I said before, it would have been better if Hope had gone to the Avengers with information and Cyclops and co had been the agressors this time as the Cap and co. are starting to come off as storm troopers for the president of the USA.


Yeah, as much as I enjoyed this issue so much more than the last five, Cap came off looking like a dictictorial douche here. Black Panther and Beast seemed to get it. Ah well, six down, six to go. So far a better "event" than I can remember in a while.
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:32 pm

alaska1125 wrote:
Yeah, as much as I enjoyed this issue so much more than the last five, Cap came off looking like a dictictorial douche here. Black Panther and Beast seemed to get it. Ah well, six down, six to go. So far a better "event" than I can remember in a while.


Yup, Cap was basically a tool here. The other gripe I seemed to have is the fact that the Avengers didn't think to talk to Hope or ask her for her help before treating her like a hostage or prisoner of war. The way I would have written this is to have Hope discover the dark repurcussions of the Phoenix's powers on Cyclops and co. and then going to the Avengers for help. This would send the Phoenix 5 after her which would lead to another fight with them which the Scarlet Witch breaks up and takes Hope from all of them. At that point the Phoenix 5 then decide to deal with the Avengers for good-now isn't this much better and plausible writing?
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:35 pm

Punchy wrote:
I haven't read a digitally only comic yet, for some reason the download code I got with AvX #1 didn't work.


It's at the end of the digital copy.

The infinite comic is at the back of #6 (digitally), but also as a separate file*




*With the purchase of a physical copy.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Kravis, oogy, Spektre and 53 guests