Advertisement

The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 598 posts
Formerly: AMS

Re: The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

Postby Rockman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:14 pm

yeah most 80's cartoons suck, I regret the money I spent on any of it.

I really liked that ghostbusters cartoon from that era, but I'm very reluctant to pay money for it, because there is a good chance that it too sucks.

Advertisement

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:53 pm

Sakie wrote:
This is a little off topic but conversely speaking, the original Transformers movie from 1986 is still hands down the best Transformers movie to date. Of course when you see what it's up against, that's like saying that it's the valedictorian of summer school.

It was great until Galvatron chased the Autobots away...then it turned to shit. But before that everything save for Daniel was solid.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 881 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:05 pm

Zechs wrote:
I just want to say a few things. First off something you yourself said:

I had the exact same opinion. You are now on the same bar as I am. HOW DOES THAT FEEL!!!!

Ouch. Harsh.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 881 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:09 pm

Rockman wrote:yeah most 80's cartoons suck, I regret the money I spent on any of it.

I really liked that ghostbusters cartoon from that era, but I'm very reluctant to pay money for it, because there is a good chance that it too sucks.

The Real Ghostbusters was an awesome cartoon. At least for the first two seasons. When they made it "kid-friendly" it lost its soul.

But with your taste, you probably liked the Filmation Ghostbusters that came out the same year.

:P

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:46 pm

I remember when Toonami brought back Thundercats and it got so much hype. People were all excited and I watched it and found it so damn boring and overall awful. I never got the love for it. I could hardly pass one episode of a lot of the 80s cartoon show.

Herculoids, Thundarr the Barbarian, Jonny Quest. I can watch those now, though, and find value and a ton of enjoyment. But Thundercats, He-Man, and a lot of the other stuff. Highly meh.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 598 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:37 pm

you guys remember the 90's Johnny Quest? I used to watch that everyday. Good stuff.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:39 pm

Rockman wrote:you guys remember the 90's Johnny Quest? I used to watch that everyday. Good stuff.

Eehh. I got bored of that very quick. Actually, as a kid I never wanted to watch the original Johnny Quest because of the 90s version but loved the original when I finally gave it a chance.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 464 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:25 pm

PDH wrote:
Are you kidding? :lol:

If those cartoons have a saving grace it's the creativity that went into their central premises. Thundercats is pretty insane when you think about it.

Oh and some of the theme tunes rocked.

But the writing was uniformly dreadful!

I will agree that USM is better than most of those shows. However, it's inferior to a lot of modern cartoons like Young Justice and Avengers: EMH and I think at this point we've come to expect a certain quality from these shows.

I did watch the Bendis episode, though, because I liked the story it was adapted from. It was OK but the comic has the same story without all the annoying crap, so you might as well just read that again.

A few things wrong with this statement:

1. Cancellation-bound Ultimate Spiderman is not fit to be compared to a majority of cartoons that were created. If you are comparing prior shows to this current Amazing Friends/ Brave & The Bold pastice, then we are at an impasse, my friend. Plus, as I said before, USM will never be mentioned in the same breadth as TMNT, Transformers( G1), GI Joe( 1), Thundercats, He-Man, She-Ra, etc, once the show goes off the air. In fact most will still be talking about how Spectacular Spiderman was much better than the show that replaced it.
2. So what if those prior shows had less than perfect writing? It still doesn't take away from the fact that the stories were engaging and interesting. I will admit that the writing was silly and corny at times but ar least they knew how to engage the audiences-Something that most cartoons currently don't have for the most part. The only good cartoons that have come out in the 2000s have been TMNT( 2002), Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Young Justice, The Batman, Spectacular Spiderman, Battleforce 5, GI Joe Renegades, Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated, Wolverine & The X-Men, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and a few others. But for the most part, the cartoons nowadays are crap and make one appreciate the older stuff.
3. You did have me when you said Ultimate Spiderman is inferior to the Avengers and Young Justice cartoons but I will add it's inferior to a lot of other cartoons as well. Well actually USM is preferable to Spongebob Squarepants and Dora The Explorer in all fairness as those are shows I would never watch even if I had kids.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Tee-Roy'd wrote:
Man have you watched any of those shows recently. The writing on some of the episodes of GI Joe and Transformers is just ridiculously bad on so many levels, and Thundercats and Masters of the Universe is beyond bad. I somewhat agree with your last statement though, but then again I do not. We as comic book nerds, geeks, fanboys, etc remember those shows overly fondly but most of the general people do not at all. The same thing can definitely be said bout Avengers, USM, and all the various toons out now.

In fact, I have watched reruns of GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, TMNT, He-Man, She-Ra, Defenders Of The Earth and a few others and I will concede that the writing was silly and stupid at times but it is way better than most shows nowadays which are universally dreadful all over. The truth be told, I watch the older cartoons more than the new ones because of how the latter fails to engage me for the most part. The only new shows I have watched is Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Young Justice, Battle Force 5, GI Joe Renegades but that's because they have good writing. The others like USM I have little interest in sitting through.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:32 pm

Rockman wrote:you guys remember the 90's Johnny Quest? I used to watch that everyday. Good stuff.

Yeah, the 90's Johnny Quest was awesome but I liked the 60's and 80's versions as well.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Greg wrote:I remember when Toonami brought back Thundercats and it got so much hype. People were all excited and I watched it and found it so damn boring and overall awful. I never got the love for it. I could hardly pass one episode of a lot of the 80s cartoon show.

Herculoids, Thundarr the Barbarian, Jonny Quest. I can watch those now, though, and find value and a ton of enjoyment. But Thundercats, He-Man, and a lot of the other stuff. Highly meh.

Yeah, Herculoids, Thundarr and a lot of Hanna-Barbera cartoons set the bar for animated programs that came after them.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:36 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
It was great until Galvatron chased the Autobots away...then it turned to shit. But before that everything save for Daniel was solid.

The g1 Transformers cartoon was good until they got rid of Optimus Prime and replaced him with Rodimus and turned Megatron into Galvatron. From that point on, the cartoon went downhill.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:47 pm

draco x wrote:
The g1 Transformers cartoon was good until they got rid of Optimus Prime and replaced him with Rodimus and turned Megatron into Galvatron. From that point on, the cartoon went downhill.

You're tripping. While getting rid of Optimus was a massive step down, we got some of the best G1 eps in season 3 due to the sudden darker shift. (maybe 5 ep's out of the total 30). The deepest I remember (aka only time) season's 1 & 2 got is Starscreams Brigade.

Face it man, those 80's shows we all have fond memories of as wide eyed kids in reality were beyond stupid. At least Ultimate Spider-Man is coherent enough for adults to follow, while obviously not enjoying since it wasn't catered for their demographic.

Tattooed Jesus
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 707 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Tattooed Jesus » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Zechs wrote:
I just want to say a few things. First off something you yourself said:

I had the exact same opinion. You are now on the same bar as I am. HOW DOES THAT FEEL!!!!

I was just joking with him dude. I actually think you have pretty good tastes when it comes to comics. Except how much you hate on the current Spider-Man product.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:12 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
You're tripping. While getting rid of Optimus was a massive step down, we got some of the best G1 eps in season 3 due to the sudden darker shift. (maybe 5 ep's out of the total 30). The deepest I remember (aka only time) season's 1 & 2 got is Starscreams Brigade.

Face it man, those 80's shows we all have fond memories of as wide eyed kids in reality were beyond stupid. At least Ultimate Spider-Man is coherent enough for adults to follow, while obviously not enjoying since it wasn't catered for their demographic.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment there as for starters, G1 Transformers Season 3 was horrible for the most part. The only things likeable about it was the theme song, Cyclonus and the fact that Hasbro had the good sense to bring back Optimus Prime towards the end because Rodimus sucked as his successor( Believe me, I tried liking him but I couldn't). Also Galvatron was just a crazy, trigger-happy douche and not the cunning and brilliant mastermind Megatron was.
The 80's shows, whether or not anyone likes it, will be remembered more fondly than most 2000s cartoons. You all say that some of the shows back then were stupid but guess what, the shows nowadays are way more stupid-obviously you have not watched Spongebob Squarepants, Stoked, Johnny Test, World Of Quest, Totally Spies, etc and a barrage of other ones that I care not to mention.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum