Advertisement

Review Group Week 334 - INFERNAL MAN-THING #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 50 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Review Group Week 334 - INFERNAL MAN-THING #1

Postby GLX » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:08 pm

Since amlah6 has been MIA, I might as well, get this fucker started.

Following legendary scribe Steve Gerber's death, fans mourned the reality that the writer would no longer be able to return to the character for one last story -- until now. See the final Steve Gerber Man-Thing tale here, in a previously-unknown story.

McDarkseid has next week's pick.

From one of the past RG threads:

Review as often or as little as you like. Once you've posted 5 reviews, you will be awarded 1 pick. You can post 5 reviews, right? That's a totally achievable goal and with day and date digital releases becoming the standard, it shouldn't matter if your shop ordered enough copies of this weeks comic or not.

When multiple Review Groupers have posted 5 (or more) qualifying reviews, they will be awarded their pick in the order that they qualified. What constitutes a qualifying review? Any review posted (with a score on a scale from 0-10, that's right 0!) within 1 calendar month of the thread going live. Reviews posted while waiting in line for your pick will be applied to your next pick.

I'll be keeping track of everyone's progress with the newly christened Spreadsheet of Fantastic (RIP, Spreadsheet of Doom) and reporting the results in the Current Members list in the weekly OP. When it's your turn to make a pick, I will PM you. If you do not respond to me by Midnight EST the following Sunday, you will lose your pick and I will start a poll to determine that week's selection.

Any week in which we do not have a Review Grouper with 5 qualifying picks, we will determine the week's comic via poll.

If it's your week to pick, remember to keep it under $3.99.

Naturally, this new system is new and it may be necessary to make changes as we go.

You can buy this week's pick here:

http://comicstore.marvel.com/Infernal-M ... /APR120649

Here:

http://www.comixology.com/Infernal-Man- ... /APR120649

Or just get it at a local comic shop. Cool? Cool.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Review Group Week 334 - INFERNAL MAN-THING #1

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:40 pm

I was kind of curious about this, being a project that was started by the late Steve Gerber who wrote many of the oddball Marvel books I enjoyed as a kid.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 287 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:13 pm

I'll be late with my review for this. I put it on my pull list when I saw it in Previews, but somehow it never got ordered for me. The guys at my LCS apologised and they have it on back order for me. I should get it in the next couple of weeks and I'll write my review after I read it.

Thank you Troy for the sig

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:15 pm

Right off the bat, I have to say that Man-Thing portions of the comic are just plain weird. Perhaps, too weird for my tastes. The "Norm Normal" section is entertaining and I'm slightly curious as to read more on him. As for the art, Kevin Nowlan's paintings are a perfect match for Steve Gerber's script. It's weird, off-beat and moody, while staying within the comic world's bizarre structure. I'm not sure if I'm going to give the next issue a try, but it has the potential to get better.

6* out of 10*

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 am

Man Thing looks like a moldy Hammerhead action figure from the early Star Wars line in this.

And he has a navel.

So this is the late Gerber project that was originally going to be a graphic novel but instead is being serialized and launching a new MT series? Is that right or no? Is this meant to be the book to launch an ongoing?

And what happened to amlah6?

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:31 am

McDarkseid wrote:So this is the late Gerber project that was originally going to be a graphic novel but instead is being serialized and launching a new MT series? Is that right or no? Is this meant to be the book to launch an ongoing?

3 issue mini-series.

Steve Gerber has always been a writer who never skimped on the word count (which will turn some readers off I suppose). I have #1, thumbed through it (loving anytime Kevin Nowlan touched paper) but I'm saving the actual reading of it after I have all 3 issues.

And as this references an old 70's issue of Man-Thing, I fear this will lead me into a full Fear & Man-Thing reread soon enough.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:18 am

Amoebas wrote:3 issue mini-series.

Steve Gerber has always been a writer who never skimped on the word count (which will turn some readers off I suppose). I have #1, thumbed through it (loving anytime Kevin Nowlan touched paper) but I'm saving the actual reading of it after I have all 3 issues.

And as this references an old 70's issue of Man-Thing, I fear this will lead me into a full Fear & Man-Thing reread soon enough.

Ah, there were early announcements way back when that this was going to be an OGN leading into a new Infernal MT series, as opposed to limited series, but that was several years ago and now downgraded to a 3 issue mini, I guess. Which probably makes more sense in today's market, plus it's not like Kevin Nowlan could commit to anything beyond covers for a series if he does a page a week with this style.

It's an oddly-paced read, chopping up both the new sequel and Gerber's original story both, so you get about 18-19 pages of new content and about 10 pages reprinting the first part of the original story featuring nutjob Brian Lazarus. Which is good, because the follow-up story that leads the book really only makes any sense at all once you've read the V1 MT #12 stuff that comes after it in the issue.

It was an uncomfortable read for me and will be difficult to score for several reasons, not the least of which is the fact that this was published posthumously, and the fact that, as Tom Spurgeon eulogized after Gerber died, "No creator save Jack Kirby has as a cautionary tale and a living example saved so many creators the grief of turning over their creations without reward or without realizing what they had done."
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:30 pm

Next Wednesday's releases can be found here:

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/952

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:17 pm

GLX wrote:Next Wednesday's releases can be found here:

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/952

Who does have the next pick anyway?

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:41 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Who does have the next pick anyway?

McDarkseid

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:43 pm

GLX wrote:
McDarkseid

OK cool. :)

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:03 am

I refuse to pick until amlah6 comes back, so take this:

post2826178.html#p2826178

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 539 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:26 am

Imo, until Amlah comes back, we are stuck in a week of perpetual Jude picks. I'll let you know what we're reading next.week. :lol:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:33 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Imo, until Amlah comes back, we are stuck in a week of perpetual Jude picks. I'll let you know what we're reading next.week. :lol:

I think we can all just ignore that one. :smt011

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:54 pm

Jude can't even take the time to review his own pick, apparently! :roll:

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand