Friday, December 2, 2016 • Evening Edition • "At least we're not ComicsAlliance!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Article snarks

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:07 am

Twenty-six of the last forty articles posted on the front page (which covers the last 40 hours or so) have no snark in them whatsoever.

AaronW

Rain Partier

Postby AaronW » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:08 am

Chesscub wrote:
Heaven forbid there's constructive criticism. :roll:

Jude already laid out the ultimate suggestion. Write some solid nonfunny by the book articles. :smt102

AaronW

Rain Partier

Postby AaronW » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:08 am

BlueMole wrote:Twenty-six of the last forty articles posted on the front page (which covers the last 40 hours or so) have no snark in them whatsoever.

Those ones all blew IMO.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 am

I appreciate constructive criticism. "Hey Jude, I felt this specific article, you laid it on a little heavy." "Hey Jude, I would have appreciated a little bit more information in the (example) article."

"There's too much snark, it's everywhere, Arrgghh!" "ThanosCopter has ruined the site!" and "Jude and Thanos Copter should write less articles!" does not have much constructive value to me, so I'm not sure how else to respond.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:27 am

Also, a lot of writers spend time here writing serious, non-snarky reviews and other columns. I frequently see them fall down the page with no comments, ignored. Maybe instead of focusing on the stuff people don't like, they should provide positive feedback to the stuff they do like, thus encouraging those writers to write more and making them feel like their work is appreciated. My last VS. has, I believe, 0 comments. Red and Blue Reviews put out at least 3 columns in the last week, with less than 5 comments between them.

e_galston

Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:31 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Also, a lot of writers spend time here writing serious, non-snarky reviews and other columns. I frequently see them fall down the page with no comments, ignored. Maybe instead of focusing on the stuff people don't like, they should provide positive feedback to the stuff they do like, thus encouraging those writers to write more and making them feel like their work is appreciated. My last VS. has, I believe, 0 comments. Red and Blue Reviews put out at least 3 columns in the last week, with less than 5 comments between them.

pretty much this, i know that's why i stopped writing Gleeviews, cause no matter how many times admins tell me it was valued, i'd have posters tell me it didn't belong and actually not give me any positive feedback

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:32 am

I will make an effort to do that Jude. The lack of comments on anything I ever wrote is pretty much what burnt me out on writing it for the site. Granted, I was covering a subject with an apparently small fanbase here, but still.

AaronW

Rain Partier

Postby AaronW » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:34 am

I read the occasional article on the front page but I never comment.

Timbales

Fisty McDigger

Postby Timbales » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:35 am

I have the forum bookmarked, I don't visit the front page.

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:36 am

Holland Oats wrote:I go to CBR for news now.

Did you not go there before?

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:38 am

e_galston wrote:
pretty much this, i know that's why i stopped writing Gleeviews, cause no matter how many times admins tell me it was valued, i'd have posters tell me it didn't belong and actually not give me any positive feedback

Yup. There's nothing more disheartening than spending hours working on an article that it feels like no one read (though as I tell writers, people do read these articles - they just don't say anything). Serious stuff like reviews and Op-Ed pieces are ten times more difficult to work on than it is for me to spend five minutes insulting Batgirl and making up fake Dan Didio quotes.

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 am

BlueMole wrote:Twenty-six of the last forty articles posted on the front page (which covers the last 40 hours or so) have no snark in them whatsoever.

AaronW wrote:Those ones all blew IMO.

My non-snark article was total gold until Zechs overwrote it.

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:40 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:

Yup. There's nothing more disheartening than spending hours working on an article that it feels like no one read (though as I tell writers, people do read these articles - they just don't say anything). Serious stuff like reviews and Op-Ed pieces are ten times more difficult to work on than it is for me to spend five minutes insulting Batgirl and making up fake Dan Didio quotes.

Jude spends a lot of time on those Didio quotes! :smt013

AaronW

Rain Partier

Postby AaronW » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:41 am

I'm sure a lot of the people who came here a while back didn't come here for anything other than the forums though. I know I don't come here for comic news, or glee news, or any news really. I just came here after the 'rama went south and I wanted a forum that had most of the same community. The place has changed quite a bit since then though.

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:41 am

what do you guys think about this?

leave a comment with facebook