Advertisement

Review Group Week #335 - Punk Rock Jesus #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Review Group Week #335 - Punk Rock Jesus #1

Postby GLX » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Amlah is still MIA, so I'm back at it.

J2, the TV series starring a clone of Jesus Christ, causes chaos across a near-future United States! Religious zealots either love or hate the show, angry politicians worry about its influence on the nation, and members of the scientific community fear the implications of cloning a human being!

You can buy Punk Rock Jesus #1 digitally here.

Extra stuff:

Review as often or as little as you like. Once you've posted 5 reviews, you will be awarded 1 pick. You can post 5 reviews, right? That's a totally achievable goal and with day and date digital releases becoming the standard, it shouldn't matter if your shop ordered enough copies of this weeks comic or not.

When multiple Review Groupers have posted 5 (or more) qualifying reviews, they will be awarded their pick in the order that they qualified. What constitutes a qualifying review? Any review posted (with a score on a scale from 0-10, that's right 0!) within 1 calendar month of the thread going live. Reviews posted while waiting in line for your pick will be applied to your next pick.

I'll be keeping track of everyone's progress with the newly christened Spreadsheet of Fantastic (RIP, Spreadsheet of Doom) and reporting the results in the Current Members list in the weekly OP. When it's your turn to make a pick, I will PM you. If you do not respond to me by Midnight EST the following Sunday, you will lose your pick and I will start a poll to determine that week's selection.

Any week in which we do not have a Review Grouper with 5 qualifying picks, we will determine the week's comic via poll.

If it's your week to pick, remember to keep it under $3.99.

Naturally, this new system is new and it may be necessary to make changes as we go.

Amlah has next week's pick; however, if he doesn't make a pick by Sunday at 3:00 PM EST, I'll put up a poll with various comics to choose from (suggestions welcome).

Cool? Cool.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts
Title: Self Important

Re: Review Group Week #335 - Punk Rock Jesus #1

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:35 pm

you are a very good tyrant. Keep it up.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Best Tyrant Ever

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:33 pm

This book was beautifully illustrated but is far too similar to a bad movie I watched a couple days ago about a kid cloned from shroud of Turin DNA: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1645774/plotsummary

Additionally, I thought parts of it were just plain stupid, such as the scene with the "security" chief practically crippling protesters outside a project to clone a Jesus which would have been filmed and on the 24 hour news cycle in minutes today let alone in a near-future like the one shown here. Didn't buy it at all, and that's one of the main problems with this comic book. It's not prescient at all about the near future shown here, taking a well-worn plot device like the shroud baby and plunking it down in a meticulously-illustrated and dully-unimaginative vision of the future that walked straight out of a D-movie from 2010 where it should have stayed.

The idea that none of the other staff noticed the cardboard cutout virgin mother had twins in thar during the entire pregnancy that would have been monitored from start to finish is another point in the book that feels facile and hard to swallow, despite the CGI wizardry of Doctor Mean. I guess it can be argued all of this issue is maybe set-up, but there's nothing in it to hook me into the larger story or make me feel I haven't read or seen anything like this before. Issue #1 is not very punk rock at all.

Last edited by Victorian Squid on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:48 pm

I'm officially dumping my LCS after today, goodbye Laughing Ogre, hello Mail Order Comics.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:05 pm

McDarkseid wrote:I'm officially dumping my LCS after today, goodbye Laughing Ogre, hello Mail Order Comics.

What happened?

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:19 am

This is the first time I heave checked on the RG in a while... I like the new rules, I will start posting reviews if they are books that I am getting!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:01 am

I revise my score upward slightly for the bad mood factor of people being annoying cunts everywhere I went, Mom in surgery, blahblahblah.

Otherwise I let the review stand, it was a nicely-drawn reminder of a really bad movie I watched the other day.

BlueMole wrote:
What happened?

Eh, the less I say the more I can grudge out. The LCS where I pay more for my comics than I could elsewhere should be the last place to contribute to a bad day and have people try to bullshit me.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:14 pm

I'm going to be skipping this week due to financial (and I'd likely catch shit for buy this) issues.

In the case that amlah doesn't make his pick by the deadline, what are you guys interested in picking next week?

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/954

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:34 pm

I'd suggest Captain Marvel #1 be one of the nominations.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:36 pm

Also, I picked this up at my LCS today.

I'll post my review when I get the chance.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:17 pm

SDCC bump.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:33 pm

Saturday bump.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:01 pm

This wasn't a bad start, but there are problems, most of which were already mentioned by Squid. For all of it's faults though, I have to say that I enjoyed it and that there were some strong points. The back history of the security chief makes him an interesting character. I already like the "friendship" he has with his technical assistant. Most of the other character have little quirks that make them stand out.

It's far from perfect, but it's enjoyable enough. I'll give it a 6 out of 10.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand