Advertisement

OP/ED: The Toxicity of Stephanie Brown

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 311 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: OP/ED: The Toxicity of Stephanie Brown

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 am

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 184 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:22 am

Punchy wrote:She's toxic because she's unnecessary. DC already has a Batgirl and a Batwoman, they don't need more.

And once again, her fanbase is not a female fanbase, most of her fans seem to be men.

You're actually wrong Punchy. There's a lot of female fans of Steph. I'd wager Cassandra has more male fans than female. Then again.. on a female prone website, Cassandra won most kick ass female DC character. And that was LAST year.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 659 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:32 am

The concept that she's "redundant" is stupid. It's a smokescreen.

15 Bat-books are redundant. Four robins are redundant. Two Superman boos are redundant. Etc etc etc.

I was in the camp that thought this whole thing was ridiculous, but the more I hear about it, it's clear that DC really does think these characters are "toxic." And the "why" is not too hard to figure out - it's the fans.

It's one part not wanting to be associated with 40-year-olds who are obsessed with a teen girl characters, and part not wanting to deal with those same people bitching when they do something they don't like about it.

That's what calling her "toxic" means. Toxic doesn't mean redundant. It means she poisons the comics she's in and the comics around her, and the company and the industry as a whole.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 476 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:44 am

LOLtron wrote:At the end of the day, I find it baffling that DC has labeled certain characters as toxic

ImageImageImageImageImage

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:09 pm

sdsichero wrote:

Poison?

I AM POISON!!!

Last edited by Zechs on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 88 posts

Postby misac » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:10 pm

nietoperz wrote:The biggest problem is not even the non-use of characters, it's the offhand and even mocking way in which DC treats fans' questions and concerns. They do it with Wally West as well. In the end, if fans are attached to characters and DC go out of their way to alienate these fans - not by benching the object of their enthusiasm, but by being outright rude and dismissive - they're being really short sighted.

I don’t think any of this would have happened if they hadn’t been dicks about it.

Timbales
Fisty McDigger

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Namaste, mother fucker
Formerly: timberoo

Postby Timbales » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:13 pm

Zechs wrote:
Poison?

I AM POISON!!!

never trust a big butt and a smile
However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum.
Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 476 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Timbales wrote:
never trust a big butt and a smile

So you've met Zechs?
ImageImageImageImageImage

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 375 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:25 pm

misac wrote:
I don’t think any of this would have happened if they hadn’t been dicks about it.

Yeah, in the end this shouldn't have been the big deal it has become. It seems like DC has managed to find every worst possible way in which they could deal with it.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 117 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:30 pm

misac wrote:

True.

DC's contempt for its fans has done plenty of damage to the company's reputation.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 115 posts

Postby dairydead » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:52 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:The concept that she's "redundant" is stupid. It's a smokescreen.

15 Bat-books are redundant. Four robins are redundant. Two Superman boos are redundant. Etc etc etc.

I was in the camp that thought this whole thing was ridiculous, but the more I hear about it, it's clear that DC really does think these characters are "toxic." And the "why" is not too hard to figure out - it's the fans.

It's one part not wanting to be associated with 40-year-olds who are obsessed with a teen girl characters, and part not wanting to deal with those same people bitching when they do something they don't like about it.

That's what calling her "toxic" means. Toxic doesn't mean redundant. It means she poisons the comics she's in and the comics around her, and the company and the industry as a whole.

This.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:04 pm

dairydead wrote:
This.

And who created the mess to begin with? DC itself via War Games and OYL, not the fans.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

FotoCub

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby FotoCub » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:10 pm

This is a very thoughtful article and a lot more reasoned than some debate I've seen on this topic. I do have to take point on your analysis of the sales however. Stephanie Brown's Batgirl book ended its run with a little over 22K issues at #24, not #12, which is where each of the other books mentioned are now. There's no guarantee these books are going to make it to 24, and I would argue - short of a miracle - they won't. We've already seen an art change on Batwing and a writer change on Stormwatch in an attempt to generate more positive sales. DC too showed a great deal of commitment to Stephanie's book by putting one of their superstar artists on the title, Dustin Nguyen, and sales still slumped. The sad thing is (and this is not unique to the New 52) if a book is short on sales, it won't get another shot right away, particularly for a more obscure character. Stephanie may have a vocal fan base, but DC has no way of knowing how many people will buy her book EXCEPT from that last sales number. And they can't LAUNCH a book at 22K. Batwing, Stormwatch, all of these launched way higher than where they fell now. Double or more in some cases.AND how is DC (strictly from a sales standpoint) to know how many of those 22K readers were buying "Batgirl" or "Stephanie Brown AS Batgirl"? What if a quarter of them were simply Bat fans and wouldn't buy a SPOILER series? Now you're down to a 17K launch. Can you see how this could be a problem?My hope is that Stephanie does come back, either in a supporting role or even in a title of her own, but when she does, her fans MUST be ready to support the book in HUGE numbers. If it doesn't launch at over 50K right away, it's not going to last long, statistically speaking. And if she's had TWO tries at the rodeo and not sold well, EEK. There will be plenty of reason to call her "toxic" then. :-(

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:21 pm

FotoCub wrote:This is a very thoughtful article and a lot more reasoned than some debate I've seen on this topic. I do have to take point on your analysis of the sales however. Stephanie Brown's Batgirl book ended its run with a little over 22K issues at #24, not #12, which is where each of the other books mentioned are now. There's no guarantee these books are going to make it to 24, and I would argue - short of a miracle - they won't. We've already seen an art change on Batwing and a writer change on Stormwatch in an attempt to generate more positive sales. DC too showed a great deal of commitment to Stephanie's book by putting one of their superstar artists on the title, Dustin Nguyen, and sales still slumped. The sad thing is (and this is not unique to the New 52) if a book is short on sales, it won't get another shot right away, particularly for a more obscure character. Stephanie may have a vocal fan base, but DC has no way of knowing how many people will buy her book EXCEPT from that last sales number. And they can't LAUNCH a book at 22K. Batwing, Stormwatch, all of these launched way higher than where they fell now. Double or more in some cases.AND how is DC (strictly from a sales standpoint) to know how many of those 22K readers were buying "Batgirl" or "Stephanie Brown AS Batgirl"? What if a quarter of them were simply Bat fans and wouldn't buy a SPOILER series? Now you're down to a 17K launch. Can you see how this could be a problem?My hope is that Stephanie does come back, either in a supporting role or even in a title of her own, but when she does, her fans MUST be ready to support the book in HUGE numbers. If it doesn't launch at over 50K right away, it's not going to last long, statistically speaking. And if she's had TWO tries at the rodeo and not sold well, EEK. There will be plenty of reason to call her "toxic" then. :-(

I agree. If the characters are to return let it be a team book or as Dustin Nguyen so much suggested:

Add some appearances from Tim Drake and you know people will buy this book unless the creative team is sabotaged like the Batgirl vol. 2 mini with Adam Beechen on it.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 708 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:22 pm

She's got the comic book "clap"!
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand