Advertisement

Daredevil #15 (Searching for the absence Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Daredevil #15 (Searching for the absence Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:51 am

Another excellent issue of Daredevil from Mark Waid and Chris Samnee, and even though this one is probably the darkest yet, it was still a thrill-ride. Daredevil is held captive in Latveria without his powers, and we spend most of the issue trapped inside his head as he comes to terms first with a life without his senses, and then with them coming back in strange new ways. This kind of story is hard to tell, but I think Waid and Samnee did a very good job at expressing the kind of horror that Daredevil is going through, effectively cutting from being very much inside his head not going on, to a viewpoint outside of him, seeing him flail about. I’m very interested to see what’s going to happen to Daredevil’s abilities now, is his sight coming back? That would be crazy. In the end, Daredevil manages to escape by getting a message out to the Avengers, and Iron Man comes to his rescue. Is it just me or did Iron Man’s involvement seem heavily reminiscent of the famous scene in ‘Born Again’ where the Avengers come in from the skies to stop Nuke? Even though Daredevil’s world is now a lot more connected to that side of the Marvel Universe, it still feels like an outside element.

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 373 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Daredevil #15 (Searching for the absence Spoilers)

Postby Amoebas » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:12 am

Top many convenient story devices for this two point one issue's tale...

How lucky is that the bad guys were so stupid to have kidnapped DD in front of them so they knew he was missing?
How lucky is it that the bad guys never bothered to take the Avengers ID Card, and instead just left it around like it had zero value?
How lucky is that for all of Von Doom's technology throughout the entire country of Latveria, DD is able to guess the exact spot where the signal squelcher is?
How lucky is it that Iron Man wasn't doing anything at all so that he could (somehow) instantly teleport (?) to the exact spot DD was? (I mean c'mon, that was just too damn fast for him and the quinjet to get there).

I love what Waid is doing with this book and this issue is still enjoyable, but too many things were forced to happen making this story a bit of a letdown (oh well, it couldn't remain perfect forever).

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 138 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:27 am

Amoebas wrote:Top many convenient story devices for this two point one issue's tale...

How lucky is that the bad guys were so stupid to have kidnapped DD in front of them so they knew he was missing?
How lucky is it that the bad guys never bothered to take the Avengers ID Card, and instead just left it around like it had zero value?
How lucky is that for all of Von Doom's technology throughout the entire country of Latveria, DD is able to guess the exact spot where the signal squelcher is?
How lucky is it that Iron Man wasn't doing anything at all so that he could (somehow) instantly teleport (?) to the exact spot DD was? (I mean c'mon, that was just too damn fast for him and the quinjet to get there).

I love what Waid is doing with this book and this issue is still enjoyable, but too many things were forced to happen making this story a bit of a letdown (oh well, it couldn't remain perfect forever).

It's a comic. Were all these points so absolutely implausible that they took you out of the story? Obviously they were, but really, why?

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:30 am

Amoebas wrote:Top many convenient story devices for this two point one issue's tale...

Some interesting points I had not thought of, I guess after all these years of taking things with a grain of salt you tend to overlook things like these. :smt102

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 373 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:54 am

alaska1125 wrote:
It's a comic. Were all these points so absolutely implausible that they took you out of the story? Obviously they were, but really, why?

When there are too many convenient coincidences, yes it does take me out of the book.

Nothing was much of a bother until Iron Man showed up.

If this story took place in upper Manhattan, Iron Man's instant arrival would have been plausible, but instead it took place halfway round the world and it was like Iron Man was hiding behind a tree waiting for his cue. For Iron Man and the quinjet to 'plausibly' get there so quick, they would have had to be in the area and if so they could have just used their eyes to see DD in trouble atop the castles roof - making the whole plot device of the ID card meaningless.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 325 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:55 am

Waid discusses issue #15 and Daredevil's powers
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39947
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand