Advertisement

Captain Marvel #1 (Taking the damn name Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Shitlord

Captain Marvel #1 (Taking the damn name Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:50 am

Carol Danvers has been one of my favourite Avengers characters ever since Kurt Busiek’s run, but she’s been just that, an Avenger, not someone I’ve been interested in following as a solo character. I read the previous Ms. Marvel series by Brian Reed for about 7 issues before dropping it, I just felt like the character wasn’t really up to carrying her own series, perhaps it was the name, who knows. But now the character has changed her name, along with her costume and her hairstyle, and on the basis of this issue, she’s much more interesting to me. This issue was very enjoyable, and while not a whole lot happened, it did an excellent job at establishing who Carol Danvers is, and what her new focus is going to be, on claiming one of the biggest names in comics for her own. Kelly-Sue DeConnick has impressed me on mini-series like Osborn, but this was a step-up. The dialogue was very strong, especially between Carol and Spider-Man, and we got more insight into who Carol is here than we have in hundreds of Avengers comics. I would recommend this book to fans of Geoff Johns’ Green Lantern, it’s about a fighter pilot hero who takes no nonsense, but Carol isn’t nearly as much of a douche as Hal Jordan is. The only real problem here is the art from Dexter Soy. It’s not bad per se, but it’s a pretty big tonal shift from the cover art provided by Ed McGuinness. You’re going from incredibly bright and cartoonish on the cover, to dark and moody on the insides, it’s jarring. But other than that, this was a very strong first issue, and one which any fans who are clamouring for more female representation in comics should love, it’s a female hero, not posed with her ass out, written by a female writer. It’s what we were told we need, so hopefully it will sell well and really elevate the new Captain Marvel to A-status.

Advertisement

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Re: Captain Marvel #1 (Taking the damn name Spoilers)

Postby MistaT » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:34 am

I really enjoyed this issue. I think Carol is a strong enough character to have her own series and be Marvel's premiere female character, she just always lacked in the rogues gallery and an interesting arch-nemesis. I hope they utilize Moonstone for that role. The War of the Marvels from her last series was one of the greatest knockdown slugfests I had seen in comics in a while.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 134 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:39 am

I haven't read this issue and thus can't comment on it. That said, I seriously do not understand why Marvel keeps pushing this character (other than her name) on an audience that is clearly not interested. Based on her last run, I give this title 24 issues...tops.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 374 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:13 am

I read it and to tell the truth, I didn't think it was all that great.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 857 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:40 am

Overall, I thought that this was just a "meh" first issue. There really wasn't anything in this book that couldn't have been in a one-shot of an Avenger book and there wasn't anything that really hooked me in and compelled me to want to buy the next issue. Unfortunately, that really disappoints me because I really wanted to like this issue enough to justify wanting to buy the next issue. As it stands now, it will all depends on what comes out the same week that #2 comes out. If its a relatively small week, I may decide to give it another shot just to have a little extra to read.

One thing that I did enjoy was the continued flirtatious relationship between Carol and Peter. If editorial insists on keep Peter and MJ apart, a full on relationship between Carol and Peter would be really fun and interesting for awhile. That being said, I was a disappointed that DeConnick didn't just take the plunge and have Spider-Man say that he hates the new haircut.
ImageImageImage

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 311 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:04 am

alaska1125 wrote:I haven't read this issue and thus can't comment on it. That said, I seriously do not understand why Marvel keeps pushing this character (other than her name) on an audience that is clearly not interested. Based on her last run, I give this title 24 issues...tops.

Other than She-Hulk isn't she the closest thing Marvel has to a Wonder Woman or a Supergirl ?
Also, by issue #3 expect her costume to get ripped and torn every issue, "accidentally" showing side-boob and ass-cleavage. Sales should remain steady at least 2 years :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 134 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:38 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Other than She-Hulk isn't she the closest thing Marvel has to a Wonder Woman or a Supergirl ?
Also, by issue #3 expect her costume to get ripped and torn every issue, "accidentally" showing side-boob and ass-cleavage. Sales should remain steady at least 2 years :lol:

She isn't nearly as iconic as Wonder Woman. That said, your comment on ripped costumage is spot on.

Apache Chef
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Apache Chef » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:49 am

Two things:

The art was really bad. Thankfully I think there are some Emma Rios issues coming up.

And I felt like this should be a #0 issue or something. It established the character somewhat but it didn't start a plot at all. There is really nothing in this comic that makes me anticipate issue #2.

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:40 pm

Apache Chef wrote:Two things:

The art was really bad. Thankfully I think there are some Emma Rios issues coming up.

And I felt like this should be a #0 issue or something. It established the character somewhat but it didn't start a plot at all. There is really nothing in this comic that makes me anticipate issue #2.

I liked the art. Like Punchy said there is a huge contrast between the cover and interiors, but I quite liked the interiors.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 165 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:03 pm

It was very meh at best. Not great but not horrible.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand