Advertisement

Avengers #28 (Our jolly red friend Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:15 am

This issue of Avengers is an example of what Bendis is best at during crossovers, taking an issue out to focus on what particular Avenger and what their mindset is. In this case, it’s a focus on Red Hulk. He’s in a unique position really, most of the team think he’s just a mindless bruiser like the original Hulk, but both he and Captain America know that he’s more than that, he’s a General in the US Army and he probably has more knowledge of what to do in War than any other Avenger. He uses this knowledge to decide to go on a solo assassination of Cyclops, which has some pretty interesting results. I particularly loved the scene where Emma thought she could just make him kill himself, not realising that it would just trigger Rulk, that may be one of the all-time great transformations. In the end, General Ross fails, but all is not lost, now he knows that Cyclops has still not accepted that this is war, that because Cyclops played the hero and didn’t kill him… the Avengers can win. Dun dun dun! Of course, we know now that Red Hulk gets his ass handed to him by Namor in AvX #8, so who knows if this plot will get to play out, but this was a very entertaining issue, both in terms of the larger plot, and also in how it developed Red Hulk’s characterisation. Walt Simonson’s artwork was of course brilliant, it was great to see Bendis let pretty much the entire first half of the issue be told by art alone, yes, there was writing, but it was very much separate from the action. It’s a technique he did occasionally in Ultimate Spider-Man with Immonen, and it worked a treat here.

Advertisement

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby UnionJack » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:48 am

I'm a long time Hulk fan and I must say, Red Hulk has become my favourite Hulk by far. When he initially appeared the character was terribly written & portrayed in dragging out the mystery of his identity. Since getting his solo spot (which tragically seems to be coming to an end) the character has come on in leaps & bounds. I like how he's portrayed as honourable, heroic and very likeable. I do think there are too many She-Hulks though.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand